2017 QB Class, Who would you select? (POLL)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pags2112, Mar 20, 2017.

?

Using the scenarios below, please select the QB of your choice(s).

1. Projected Grade Rd 1. Mitch Trubisky.

5 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. Projected Grade Rd 1-2. DeShone Kizer.

3 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. Projected Grade Rd 1-2. Pat Mahomes.

11 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. Projected Grade Rd 1-3. Deshaun Watson.

16 vote(s)
    21.3%
  5. Projected Grade Rd 2-4. Davis Webb.

6 vote(s)
    8.0%
  6. Projected Grade Rd 4-6. Brad Kaaya.

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  7. Projected Grade Rd 4-6. Nate Peterman.

10 vote(s)
    13.3%
  8. Projected Grade Rd 4-6. Josh Dobbs.

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  9. Projected Grade Rd 4-6. Chad Kelly.

6 vote(s)
    8.0%
  10. We should not draft a QB.

26 vote(s)
    34.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

The draft is a little more than a month away and we still do not have a definitive answer at QB, nor have been given a clear direction in which we are going. Let's see what kind of picture the Fandom paints.

Using the scenarios, please select the QB of your choice. You may choose to only answer one of the scenarios, both of the scenarios, or none of the scenarios (by selecting "We should not draft a QB").

Scenario 1: Maccagnan has decided to draft a QB with the 6th overall pick, pick the QB of your choice.

Scenario 2: Passing on QB's in rounds 1-3, Maccagnan has now decided to draft a QB in one of the remaining rounds. Pick the QB of your choice.

(Projected rounds are just for informational purposes.)

Thanks for participating.

#1 Pags2112, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO you shouldn't have put the projected draft rounds as they are very subjective, and again it limits reponders options. There's not a single option there I would click. The closest would be the last, but it's not entirely accurate because depending upon how ready Petty and Hack actually are, if the Jets haven't signed a vet, then I would look to take one in the 3rd or 4th round (3rd round compensatory pick).

I like Mahomes a LOT, but wouldn't use a 1st round pick on him, and maybe not even a 2nd. I'd definitely take him in the 3rd however if both Petty and Hack are ready to roll and we don't sign a vet.

Webb or Peterman I might take in the 3rd or 4th round, but again that would be subject to how ready I thought Petty and Hack are.

I don't know Dobbs at all, but don't think either Kaaya or Kelly should even be in that poll, as I wouldn't consider either.

3. Pags2112

GOOD point NCJ, sometimes I get too fancy. Ok I edited and changed the body that includes the scenarios, it does make it smoother. These scenarios are hypothetical just to draw an answer .. they're not supposed to coincide with our real scenario. Sucks it doesn't let you change the options but it looks better.

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If all QBs were available at 6, I'd take Trubisky. If we traded down in the first, I'd be happy to take Watson or Mahomes later in the round, and I might even consider Watson at 6. Peterman is my favorite of the late round choices.

jago, nicg4360 and Pags2112 like this.
  5. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Draft Deshaun Watson and then try to pawn Petty for a 4th rd pick.

ColoradoContrails and Pags2112 like this.
  6. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If he falls far enough Davis Webb could be a nice pick.

7. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

The people have spoken.

8. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

The posters have spoken and are completely all over the place

9. Pags2112

Agreed, Its interesting how many selected not drafting a QB at all and how many seem not to think Trubisky is the real deal. Watson is getting lots of love though.

10. The Waterboy

Watson is getting lots of love because many think, "he won the National Championship, he's a winner". They forget that Tebow as well as many other draft busts won a NC.

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Apples and oranges. No one thought Tebow was a FQB, or that his physical abilities even made him a legit QB in a non-college scheme. Lots of people think Watson has all the tools, though admittedly some still doubt, hence why he's not a consensus #1 pick. Personally I like Mahomes better, but wouldn't cry if they got Watson because of his intangibles - you don't get to two NCs and play like he did in both without having ability.

12. HomeoftheJets

The Broncos did apparently considering they took him in the first. But I agree, Watson isn't Tebow.

13. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I don't consider Tebow a bust. He was a winner in Denver (even beat the Jets.) He was a player who relied on his ability to run more than his passing ability to move a team down the field. That worked in college, but many draft pros questioned his ability to succeed at the next level. And he did succeed, but it was obvious that the Broncos or any team would have to totally revamp their offense to fit his style. Clearly the Broncos under new GM Elway weren't going to do that, especially with Peyton Manning newly on the market.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. HomeoftheJets

Tebow was horrible with Denver. He was completing less than half his passes, and he was throwing for less than 125 yards per game for a passer rating of 73. He also rushed for close to 50 yards per game, but that doesn't come close to replacing his missing passing production. The team won because they got incredibly lucky. Including the playoffs, they went 8-5 with him at starter. However, their average margin of victory was 5.375, and their average margin of defeat was 23.6. They were also 4-0 in overtime games. Elway recognized that they were almost certainly going to suck with him the next year, so he jumped at the opportunity to grab Manning and send Tebow out of town.

Walt White likes this.
  15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Davis Webb in the 4th if he's there. Ditch Hack or Petty in camp depending on who looks a bit like an NFL QB and who can't hit the broad side of a barn.

16. The Waterboy

When I read posts that say, "We need Watson because he is a winner", with almost no other comments, that tells me they are basing their wanting to take Watson at 6 on that reasoning. So no, not apples to oranges.

BomberJet likes this.
  17. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I didn't say he was a good QB in the classic sense. I said he was successful playing the position as indicated by his record. As the saying goes: "they don't ask how, they ask how many." As a fan of the NY Jets, I appreciate that standard more and more.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. HomeoftheJets

He was lucky, not good. You can say it's better to be lucky than good, but he doesn't deserve to be called a good QB because his team won despite him.

19. The Waterboy

C'mon. I'll assume you are talking about 2011, so in his 2011 wins, the Denver D gave up an average of 16.7 points a game. They certainly weren't relying on Tebow to win the games. And of course he had to rely on his running because he couldn't pass the ball worth a shit. I also wouldn't exactly call 9-9 as a starter being a winner, especially when he is only accounting for 100 or so yards in some games.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

First, I didn't say "...because he's a winner". I said because he got to TWO NCs - a bit more of an accomplishment than just winning against weak competition.

Secondly, I base it on his intangibles - i.e. beyond W/L record. We can argue the value of that and likely never agree, but IMO intangibles - while harder to measure - are the bigger difference-maker. Regarding Tebow, he did possess great intangibles, and WAS a "winner" mainly because of them they actually surpassed his limited physical abilities. But in Watson's case, his physical abilities are way beyond Tebow's, so combining that with his intangibles makes me believe he will become a FQB. In other words, it's not just based on "because he's a winner".

westiedog1 likes this.