What would you do as a GM? (POLL)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pags2112, Mar 19, 2017.

?

What Would You Do Is A GM This Year?

1. Sign or trade for a Vet QB of the future.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Sign Vet, draft 1 w 6th pick, winna take it.

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  3. Sign Vet QB to start & draft a QB in 18'.

4 vote(s)
    7.5%
  4. Draft starter QB sellin the farm need be.

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Sign a Vet QB to just be a mentor.

17 vote(s)
    32.1%
  6. Sign a Vet QB to compete, winna take all.

5 vote(s)
    9.4%
  7. Draft a starter QB w 6th pick, no vet.

4 vote(s)
    7.5%
  8. No vet, Draft QB in any rd, winna take it.

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  9. Go w Pettenberg, No vet QB nor draft 1.

11 vote(s)
    20.8%
  10. Sign Vet & draft 1 any rd, winna take all.

7 vote(s)
    13.2%
  1. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

What would you do as a GM this offseason at the QB position? Be honest with yourself. Please excuse me if the choices are not clear .. I didn't know if they would completely show if they were any longer, so I tried to abbreviate as much as possible.

#1 Pags2112, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If there wasn't a 10 choice maximum, how many choices would your poll have had?

slimjasi, b.reyes16, jonnyd and 6 others like this.
  3. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

Maybe 1 or 2 .. just wanted to cover all the possibilities lol.

HomeoftheJets and abyzmul like this.
  4. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

You left out draft a QB in later round.

I would go with Petty and Hack, let the OC and the QB coach build them up and draft a QB in the later rounds 4th or 5th.

I also believe they will use a more balanced attack on offense and run the ball more, as well as including more throws to the TE, which should help either QB in his development.

I would try to make my first 3 or 4 selections, players that can start day one.

#4 Red Menace, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    hwismer, Pags2112, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  5. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Its almost impossible to answer this as a fan. I personally don't think the league is very high on any of the QB's in this years draft. It reminds me a lot of the 2014 draft with Manziel, Bortles, Carr, and Bridgewater all generating first round consideration.

This year its Watson, Trubisky, Mahomes, and Kizer. It's likely that one of these guys is a legit franchise QB, and the other three are somewhere between average starter and total bust.

That being said what does McCagnan really think of Hackenberg? I never liked him in the first place and would cut him Day 1 if I was GM, but I have no idea how he is really developing

6. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I voted to sign a vet and draft one in 2018 ...crossing my fingers that they have a shot at Josh Rosen :cool:

7. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

Roll the dice with pettenberg!

tiger8mush, Pags2112 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I voted to draft a QB at 6, no vet, but that's conditional. I don't have enough information or knowledge, not only about the different QBs, but also about the coaches and what their plans are. That said, from what I have seen and read, I think Mahomes can be their FQB, and I don't know if he'll last past the 1st round, so if I were the GM with all the knowledge and resources available, and based on that I thought Mahomes (or one of the other guys) was my FQB, I would grab him with my 1st pick.

As to not signing a vet QB, I thought about that, and in the end had to ask: What exactly will this vet - who presumably isn't a top flight QB - teach my younger QBs? Answer: Probably not much. Worst case is he would become the "crutch" for Bowles to use as "The best chance to win", and rob any growth and learning from the younger guys. Best case for the vet is "disaster insurance" if my younger guys got seriously hurt or just couldn't perform well enough, but the odds of all three younger guys falling into one of those situations are pretty high, and if that did happen, there would probably be some vet I could sign at that point.

A close second choice above is "Don't sign vet; draft a QB in any round; winna take it". If I had any doubt about any of the QBs being FQBs, and decided to take Howard or Fournette at 6, or trade down, I would go this route. I think there's a couple of guys who might be FQB material, like Webb or Peterman, who would be there in a later round. And again, no vet for the same reasons I gave already.

Bottom line: The Jets don't have their FQB, and won't get one via FA or trading, so must look to the draft, and while next year's class is touted highly, there are NO guarantees, so they need to take their best shot now, and if they don't hit, keep swinging until they do.

Pags2112 likes this.
  9. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

ANY option Mac goes with is going to be a total nightmare this season. Mac will be trying to find a silver lining between ebola and bubonic plague? Our GM is a shithead on wheels that painted himself into this predicament.... A roster with very bad QB's and ZERO good options to get one besides drafting a day one starter in this year's draft thereby wasting the 6th overall pick...

10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The options here were really small and dizzying to read

I really wanted "be a mentor" but ended up with #9 choice

Pags2112 likes this.
  11. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I would like to have a cheap vet that can be a reliable #2 QB should anything happen to Petty.

If Petty goes down and Hack is not ready let the vet play out the season until he is ready.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

sign a mccown type,career backup vet, draft a qb as soon as the board show a qb as bpa. training camp starts with 4 qbs whittle it down to 3 with either petty or the vet being cut. start the season qb1 will either be hack or winner of petty/ vet. if 5-6 games in qb looks bad he is benched and qb2 comes in. qb 2 gets 5 games minimum,if he looks bad finish with the rookie. rinse repeat till qb is not a question.

13. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Everything sucks, and will suck, no matter what. Given two options on a move Mack will fuck it up either way he goes. Fuckin nightmare..

Mainejet, NYJetsO12 and FJF like this.
  14. Chrisiue

Chrisiue Well-Known Member

I wanted Taylor in a big way and apparently Mc Cagnan did not want to put up enough money to get him away from Buffalo and I think this will haunt us for a number of years. Sign McCown give Petty a shot with players in the mood to give it their all if he is a bust let Hackenberg give it a shot, if they are both bad the team should give up on them finish the year with McCown and play the draft game again.
    If the team finishes 8-8 because they surprise teams who take them lightly and players hustling non stop brings 4or 5 more wins than expected great. If they hustle non stop but have no weapons or non stop rookie mistakes combined with poor QB play causes 2-14 I can live with that also.
    I do want progress from the beginning of the year throughout I don't care about wins this year as much as I want hustle and hope.

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Why do you assume you cut Petty and keep Hackenberg? I'd say let them compete with whoever else is in camp and take the best three.

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

because i do not give up on a player after 2 training camps. petty is entering his 3rd and should be showing enough to at least be the veteran qb on the roster.

Walt White likes this.
  17. Laszlo Kovacs

Laszlo Kovacs Active Member

Sign a vet QB, draft Mahomes and let Mahomes sit even if he outperforms the veteran in the preseason.

18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I voted go with just Petty-Hack. No Vet,no #1 QB pick.

Like Colorado said, the LAST thing I wanna hear is "He gives us the best chance to win" while our young guns ride the pine for another year.

Don't bring in ANYONE who will give Bowles an excuse not to play OUR guys Petty-Hack.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'd make a decision based on what my scouts and evaluators told me about the QB's in the draft.

If the consensus was that nobody was worth a 1st round pick then I'd go find a Josh McCown type vet backup/mentor to fill out the 2017 roster. I'd plan on playing Petty/Hackenberg if one of them was ready to play (Petty listed first because at this point he is closer to ready to play) and default to McCown/vet/mentor if neither of them was ready to go.

At some point during the season I'd put the young guys on the field and just roll with them for 2017.

If the consensus was that maybe somebody was worth a 1st round pick I'd wait until after the draft to make the vet/mentor signing. There is no point to having 3 young QB's on the roster unless one of them is going to play. At that point, if all 3 are on the sidelines, well you're just robbing Peter to pay Paul because somebody is sitting on the sidelines with very little going on with them in terms of coaching and support.

NYJetsO12, Pags2112 and BomberJet like this.
  20. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

lol i stoped reading after 4 options