Jets contact Josh McCown's Reps

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pags2112, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

"Another veteran signal caller has emerged in the Jets’ sights.

The team has been in contact with representatives for quarterback Josh McCown in recent days, according to a report from NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport on Monday."

I personally would rather see the team go in this direction. Cheap and brings a veteran presence into the QB room. McCown can still compete enough to push the kids in camp.

What are some opinions if we sign McCown?
    Does it mean we are going with Pettenberg this upcoming season?
    Are we drafting a QB?
    Is this the right way to go?

b.reyes16 likes this.
  2. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

why sign a guy who can not play and win? we already went through that b.s. when we had
    brunell as sanchez " mentor. no way would i sign this guy.
    rather roll the dice with cutler.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Jay Cutler can't touch Josh McCown when it comes to helicoptering.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

MCclown sucks. Waste of time

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

if we are going to sign a vet,and it appears we are, he is as good as any other jag available.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  6. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

We shouldn't be selling out to win. If we sign Cutler, we're signing him to be the starter because that's what the money will warrant. I want a competition so tht our young guys have a chance to win the job. This isn't to say they couldn't beat out Cutler. It's simply to say Bowles wouldn't have the balls to start a young QB over a veteran when that vet is getting paid starter money and his job is on the line.

7. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

We are managed by a few idiots who sucks at planning. Go with Hack and Petty. Throw away the season. See what you have in these guys. Let them be each other's back ups. Have them get all the reps during training camp. Start the season with 2 QB's. if one of them gets hurt, get one of the vets for cheap.

What will bringing a guy like McCown help this team? Respectability? Fuck it. Try the young kids for God's sake.

tomdeb, Frenbar, Mogriffjr and 5 others like this.
  8. Pags2112

Agreed. Mac should use the Jedi mind trick on Bowles.

Bowles, "Mike, we need to sign a vet, a vet who can PLAY. It gives us the best chance to win!"

MM, "Whachu talkin bout Willis? *waves hand in front of Bowles eyes* .. "We don't need a veteran QB, it will give us the best chance to win."

Bowles, "Best ... chance ... to ... win ..."

[​IMG]

Todd "Bowles Willis" Bridges

Footballgod214 likes this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

signing 37 y.o. mccowns is essentially doing this brook. but we are going to carry 3 qbs during the season and probably add another camp arm this summer.

Pags2112 likes this.
  10. Pags2112

I'm ok with this as another scenario and prefer anything that lets the kids play in this upcoming throw away season .. perhaps it has something to do with Petty and his surgery.

11. Pags2112

Hopefully MM and Bowles get inspired by the Yankees youth movement.

Jake and b.reyes16 like this.
  12. JDeacon

JDeacon Well-Known Member

The reality is we will need a camp arm to go along with Petty and Hack. Whether that comes from a washed up career backup or a rookie from the 3rd round down is irrelevant. As long as Mac does not sign Cutler and doesn't draft a qb in the first round the young qbs on the team will have all the chances in the world to prove themselves this offseason.

13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

McCown would be great if the plan is to start one of the youngsters or even better plan on drafting a QB.

Otherwise meh

tomdeb, westiedog1 and Pags2112 like this.
  14. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

He is 38 years old and hasn't had any success anywhere....If we are gonna bring in a vet either Cutler or don't bother.No RG3 or Kapernick or any other scrub.Atleast Cutler can make the throws.

Red Menace likes this.
  15. LongIslandBlitz

Bowles is done....The fact that Mac didn't try to sign a corner tells me Bowles won't be here next year.Its starting to look like the way Idzik sabotaged Rex.

Pags2112 likes this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

To the other team, sure.

17. LongIslandBlitz

208 tds 146 Ints ....Better then Sanchez and Fitz our more recent game ruiners.He is a better version of Fitzpatrick ,Josh Mcown is a step above Sanchez but a step below Fitz.And all of them are better then Geno

18. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

It's time to wait. We may need another QB for OTA's , but let the kids get all the time they can. McCown doesn't have enough skills to be a mentor for the kids. So there is not need to sign him. Wait till after the draft and see who's available then. Any one out there then will be cheap and possibly serviceable. Absolutely a NO to Cuttler or Romo.

BleedingGreen55 likes this.
  19. Pags2112

So far that much is true .. Idzik played Rex and then Idzik got played .. I really don't know what to say about Bowles except I wish he shows why he was hired .. we need stability and if he doesn't cut the mustard then I would prefer him to stay until we find a replacement that without a doubt comes with a better resume then his predcessor .. only reason I'm not 100 on that is due to the draft being overstocked with CB talent this year and our being for the most part quiet in free agency. So far we have not over spent, and I'm glad. There are a few young corners still available like Claiborne that we might be able to get on a team friendly contract on. Of course they are not top tier but this is not the right time to sign such a player unless he's very young, and who knows they could show improve and play up .. the longer they remain without a contract the better chance we can get them cheaper. The remaining CB's are not all man to man press and the talent does take a dive after Claiborne. I see us drafting 2 corners in the earlier rounds and possibly finding a gem via the undrafted free agent route.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  20. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

This is Fitz all over again----maybe worse.

matt robinson 17 likes this.