Stump Mitchell New RB Coach

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJT73, Feb 1, 2017.

1. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Kris is right. I just assume they will take BPA. If that turns out to be Fournette I think he would be the lowest risk highest immediate reward available.

2. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

I'd love to have Fournette, but we already have Forte, and Powell..... If we add fournette, Forte is probably gone...... which I could live with......

3. DarrelleRevis.Human?

Forte is a very good stop-gap player at this point in his career. He has retained the vast majority of the skills which have made him an elite player over the years minus one very important skill, his long speed and burst. He still has elusiveness which gives him the impression of possessing quickness.

Even if we could get say (and this is a VERY high estimate) 3 more years out of him at his current skill level. It's still not enough to warrant keeping him on based on the teams structure and needs. Powell looked liked the better runner this past year when given a bulk of carries. We all know Powell isn't the fastest guy either and he looked to have 2 more gears than Forte. I know, I know, we're still waiting for the PED tests to come back for Powell.

Having a guy like Powell would take a huge load off of Fournette to not have to do-it-all (negative example see Todd Gurley 2016). Instead you can get guys like Stump to work with him on fundamentals in pass blocking and catching throughout the season while Powell comes in on 3rd and long or 2min drill situations. There's so many aspects of having a game changing RB like Fournette that intrigues me one being making things easier for the young and struggling positions. Young QB under center, OL with probably both LT and RT replaced, young WR's, all get a lighter load because you have to account for the breakaway game changing run. I can just imagine Fournette and Powell splitting carries early in games until we have a 2 score lead then hammering them hard with a fresh-legged Fournette to ice the win.

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Forte's contract leaves him uncuttable for 2017.

ajax and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

when did mike Tyson grow a beard?

I remember him as a player many years ago. he was a solid player and his name fits him well.

6. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

If Fournette is the Jets highest rated player, you don't pass on him because of Powell.

James Hasty likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

True, but if there's only a couple of hundredths of a point or even only a tenth of a point difference between Fournette and one of the D studs, they easily could knowing that they could get a very good RB in the 2nd - 4th rounds.

8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

With our QB situation we are going to need an exceptional run game just to stay moderately competitive this upcoming season.

So welcome to the Jets Stump...you have your work cut out for you.

9. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Cook > Fournette

10. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

So one of our 3 rb's gets to sit the bench while our other holes are exploited? I'd rather not see that happen

11. NCJetsfan

One? Unless Morton uses two of them on the field at the same time a LOT more than Gailey, TWO of them will be sitting on the bench while our other holes are exploited.

12. DarrelleRevis.Human?

This whole Cook vs Fournette debate is mind boggling to me.

Every year there's a handful of players that come out of the draft with Cook-like attributes: long speed, good vision, shifty, good pass catcher. The guy is good he'll be a solid RB not matter where he goes.

BUT... Fournette is a once in a generation type of player that just defies the genetic limitations of the human body in such a rare combination of physical size, speed, and quickness. Oh, and he's elusive and has open field moves which have only improved year to year.

13. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

I would be fine with that unless the player is a CB or DE. I think that most of the top CBs will have about the same grade, so I would wait until the 2nd round to pick one rather than picking one at 6.

14. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

I just hope Fournette is durable as he has been injury prone. It seems like cook would be better in that sense.

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

His ability to defy the limitations of the human body apparently doesn't extend to chronic injury.

alleycat9 and nicg4360 like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

I agree. I think we should look to take a CB in the 2nd round, and barring a total run on them in the 1st rouhnd, I think that's what will happen. I don't think we need a DE, because I don't think we should be running 4 man fronts. We do need a real pass-rushing OLB, however, so if they have Barnett rated that highly, I'd have no problems with him at #6.

alleycat9 likes this.
  17. DarrelleRevis.Human?

It was a single ankle injury. To state that it's chronic is pure speculation with no basis.

18. NCJetsfan

I disagree.