QB options for next year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 73klecko, Jan 3, 2017.

1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

The Rams O-line was abysmal and there is a very legitimate argument to make that Jared Goff was not ready to start and was thrown into the fire because of the mounting pressure. Pair that with Jeff Fisher, and you have a season where your #1 pick doesn't exactly look the best.

As for Sanchez, yes we surrounded him with an amazing run game, o-line and defense and for the first 2 years we reached the AFC championship game. But as the talent around him deteriorated, retired, or simply wasn't brought back, he too started to worsen.

When a young QB who lacks NFL experience has talent around him and protection to read the field, it makes the game much easier and it slows it down. If we threw Hack in there this past season I don't think he would have faired well. Bringing him along slowly and making sure we have a supporting cast that is able to lift him up is necessary with young QB's, especially if they are rookies.

TonyFtLaud and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I completely agree about his awful mechanics but I could care one shit about his stats. I'm just evaluating what I see on film. I see accuracy, ridiculous arm talent, mobility in the pocket, vision, poise, football IQ...etc...etc...etc. Mechanics can be taught but the other traits he brings to the table can not. I was the first one on this site to start the Wentz hype train. I'm jumping on this one late but this one is just as legit as the Wentz train one if not more so. I see A LOT of Farve and a little Romo in him. Hate to put that kind comparison on any prospect but it's undeniable. This kids talent is what Petty has wet dreams about. You keep looking at stats and defenses.

#202 legler82, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  3. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Just because a QB comes from a certain offense doesn't mean it's physically impossible for him to adapt

I like the Mahommes kid on the surface

Will have to see how he looks in the process

JetLifeLo likes this.
  4. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I didn't say impossible, just not too promising. But hey, I was a huge Dak cynic. A lot of it has to do with the environment and team.

If Mahomes went to Browns/49ers? Not looking too good. On the Steelers? Probably the 2nd coming.

King Koopa likes this.
  5. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

No but it implies that it will be mentally difficult and time consuming for him to adapt. It also implies that we may need an offensive genius / quarterback guru to help train him.

6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I think aptitude or lack thereof and system complexity will determine how difficult and/or time consuming it would be to adapt. At this point I have no idea how smart or dumb Mahomes is or what type of offense we will be running. As of now I just see a tremendous talent, football player and gamer. If later on in the draft process I find out he is dumb as bricks and/or a head case off the field, I'll promptly jump off the hype train just as fast as I jumped on. Right now though, it's choo choo!!!

This system and mechanics talk brings me back to the whole Mariota debate. We saw how that turned out.

King Koopa and nicg4360 like this.
  7. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

I could see mahomes going to Cleveland or Arizona.

8. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Reports that the Jets brought in Aaron Murray for a look...

9. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

I like Mahomes, too. He's been a good starter in the past -- especially 99 when he went 8-0 -- but I think the Mets' starting pitching is set this year. Still need to beef up the bullpen.

About his kid, the Texas Tech thing complicates the issue. Even if he's naturally gifted, which the tape indicates, playing in that system and against that competition likely did not prepare him to play against the highest level of his profession. And that makes him another project.

Under normal circumstances, he'd be worth a late rounder, but the talent base has dwindled to nothing, and every pick has to count this year. Unless he shows something ridiculous between now and the draft, I don't see it happening.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. Boomboom

Boomboom Active Member

Its Actually pretty funny cause everyone can pretty.much agree that his mechanics are shit, but for some reason it seems like he dosent even need them to make the throws he makes lol its so weird. He makes insane amount of accurate throws off his back foot and what ever else's he's doin with his feet and while he's on the run, And he's got a Fucking Cannon for an arm

Big Cat and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

12. Boomboom

Boomboom Active Member

SIGN. THIS. BEAST

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

murray sucks. that GGN scouting report is funny

14. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Murray was really damn good in college

I'm surprised he hasn't done anything in the pros yet...worth a look I guess

Martin&theJETS likes this.
  15. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

When you throw multiple picks in pre-season and fumble it a bunch of times, you tend to get cut. Which is what happened to Murray. But its interesting they are looking at him. You would think they would be looking at more experienced guys.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Murray would be training camp fodder. All he would do is take away reps from young players with more potential than himself anyway before being cut. We entered camp with 4 QBs last season and I believe it hurt the development of the young QBs.

3 QBs only this offseason and the only one besides Hack and Petty needs to be a veteran that would make it out of camp and might actually be able to play on sundays, not a flawed veteran project like Murray. I would not draft a rookie in this year's class either.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Murray has the intangibles but he's somewhat lacking in the physical tools an NFL QB needs. He's a bit short, his arm is average, his mobility is somewhat limited, etc.

He's probably better than anybody the Jets have on the roster at QB but he's also been cut by three NFL teams in the last two years, a fact that speaks as much to the level of talent on the Jets roster as to Murray's level of talent.

He's free. It's worth a look.

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. I saw UGA play a lot, and never liked Murray. His decision making sucked.

19. 74

74 Well-Known Member

He is gonna be good. But pats are trigger happy with trades. Who knows. I think the reports of them being willing to trade him are bs.

20. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

He looks like a baseball player playing QB, which is essentially what he is.

The announcer in one of the games I watched put it best; "he just finds guys". It might make Coaches cringe but he gets the ball into his teammates' hands.

legler82 likes this.