QB options for next year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 73klecko, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's all about how they do next year and then how their family feels about them leaving school without a degree.

I'd be surprised if either of them is an automatic to the NFL even with a great season next year. Big man on campus at UCLA and USC means something and the parents may be really invested in getting them a degree before they leave.

Johnny Manziel was uncontrollable after his second year in school and he crashed and burned. His folks should have put their foot down and made it clear to him that he was doing something very unwise when he left early. The family is worth hundreds of millions and their kid shouldn't have wound up in the high stakes NFL world without a safety net at 20.

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Most prospects are more mature than Manziel. Though Rosen may have some character concerns.

3. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Matt Nagy for OC and Nick Foles for stopgap QB. I can see light.

To answer your (rhetorical) question, drafting Rivers was not an indictment on Brees. It was just a case of drafting the BPA.

#163 playtowinthegame, Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Watching Kaepernick's meltdown this season probably unnerved a lot of NFL owners and execs. If I'm Rosen's advisor right now I'm telling him to turtle when people ask him his opinion on high profile social issues and not to volunteer anything at all in that area.

He absolutely has the right to express his opinions but he should recognize that they could cost him draft position and a boatload of cash down the road. He should recognize that as a 19 year old he is perceived as a functional idiot by most of the people he's communicating too when he steps outside the area that they believe he excels in.

5. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Trade the farm for Jimmy G. If they won't trade him get Tyrod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If Belichick thinks Garoppolo is a franchise QB, he'll cut Brady before he lets Garoppolo go. Or he'll franchise tag Garoppolo and have the league's most expensive backup QB, which is a possibility considering how much cap space the Pats are saving up. My point is if Belichick trades Garoppolo to us, Garoppolo isn't as good as we think he is, and he'll probably be a bust here.

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

jimmy g= ryan mallette= matt cassell

hwismer and abyzmul like this.
  8. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

This!

We may as well sign Mallet to a cheap UFA contract with incentives and keep our draft picks.

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i'd rather not sign mallette and keep our draft picks

10. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

Seems like all Pats qbs leave and bust on other teams....Makes ya go hmmmm about Brady. Lol.

11. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I know this might sound crazy. I don't even know if I support it but wanted to see what others think.

The qb of the future isn't in the draft. The free agents don't thrill you. Glennon is the Next Scott Mitchell or Brock Osweiler. The others one year and move on from. Here is where I get crazy. If Petty or Hackenburg start for us next year we are going to be bad and not fun to watch. Why not sign Manziel with contingents. If and only if he is truly clean, shows up on time to all meetings games etc, is not drinking or doing drugs, and allows a mentor to be with him much like the Rangers with Josh Hamilton. If he breaks any of these we cut him.

I'm not a Manziel fan at all but if he is clean and really into football there is something there. Moreso than Hackenburg and Petty I feel. If he plays well and is clean we get lucky and find our qb. If he plays awful or messes up we cut him and move on. Am I crazy. I think 50% I am with this thought. My wife thinks 100%. Wondering what others think.

westiedog1 likes this.
  12. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Why not play Petty or Hack, suck in '17, get a top draft pick for '18 and get the franchise QB in the '18 draft? I'd rather be as bad as possible in '17 to ensure a good draft slot for what is looking to be a good QB draft in '18. It also ensures that moron Bowles is fired after next season. Competitive rebuild only works if you already have a franchise QB. This team has yet to find one in their entire history.

MexicanJet likes this.
  13. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I give you credit for thinking outside the box, but I think this is outside the factory. The problem is that the success of the team is going to be dependent on the behavior of a guy who has shown 1) little self control and 2) not enough skill (so far) to win in the NFL. The question you have to ask is are you willing to sacrifice a season if the guy falls off the wagon. Unfortunately, the days of Joe Namath are long gone.

FJF likes this.
  14. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Adam Schefter just tweeted that the Bills are declining Tyrod Taylor's option....Jets should be hell bent on signing him over any other FA QB. He would immediately provide quality starter ability to a team that is sorely lacking it.

I would be happy to offer him 15-16 mil annually, because he is a top 15 QB IMO

Billsfan1212 and nicg4360 like this.
  15. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Absofuckinglutely not........

MoWilkBeast, hwismer and xxedge72x like this.
  16. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I agree you're being nice. I think I'm off the reservation on this one. Back to thinking about Darnold for 2018. We can only hope. Somehow we'll mess that up too.

17. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Absolutely fantastic way to remain mediocre for the next several years.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

MoWilkBeast and FJF like this.
  18. grkmanga31

Tyrod is not elite, but no one can deny that he is infinitely better than Fitz, Geno, Petty, and Hackenberg given how little we've seen of Petty and Hack. If we want to be competitive going forward he's a good option, but he is probably a band aid because I too don't think he's necessarily a true long term answer.

19. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

I think it's just a matter of direction. Take option one let hack play it out next year and let him sink or swim. Consider it another year to build the rookies and evaluation. Then depending on how hack plays we know exactly what happens next draft QB wise.
    Direction 2 we say it's over with these dimwit picks for QB we made and go all in on a Watson or trubisky this year.
    It's really not rocket science just how you would prefer 2017 to play out. Either way there will be growing pains

ColoradoContrails, FJF and grkmanga31 like this.
  20. grkmanga31

I personally am more in favor of letting Hack play, but I also feel that if he's really not ready to play then they should take their time to develop him. I also think Bowles made an awful decision by firing Gailey because that goes against the progression of young QB's. Either ways, I'm interested to see how Macc and Bowles approach the QB situation. A lot of it will show how much they fear for their jobs and whether they think Hack is ready

nicg4360 likes this.