Defend Maccagnan

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by King Koopa, Dec 25, 2016.

1. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

How can you know him when the last three drafts were all busts. before Mac took over this team was devoid of talent and he has at least had two drafts that we have not lost significant dr

thank you... most of these arm chair GMs have very short memories about the last 5 drafts and all the busts. This team was devoid of talent and Mac has tried to make the team competitive and still stock the roster with young players. I didn't see all the criticism of him when they were 10-5....

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Really, geno? No offense but are you delusional? You do not know who put pressure on MAC to sign Fitz...was it woody(maybe), was it TB maybe but I say probably since he named him a starter after last year and had Woody's ear regarding the upcoming season.

You want to place blame for the shit show then place it on the fools called the CS who couldn't coach up two young QB or Fitz, a defense that digressed and a HC who was MIA on the O side of the ball alll Fking season. Sound familiar it should because we had 6 years of it with Rex...

3. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

due to the loss of snacks, ivory, demario, we should have an extra third, fourth, and sixth in this years draft

but mac signed an over the hill forte and mclendon, who is a good player but was not a need and he is old ... now we will probably only get one comp pick

4. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I agree FA is definitely Mac's responsibility.. the GM has to own that.
    I haven't had much issue with his FA approach tho, even though many of the signing haven't panned out.

almost all the older veterans were signed to short term deals, without any great long term financial ramifications.
    ie, they could walk away from them after 2 years.
    so they were signed as stop gaps, with the hope of replacing them long term by rebuilding thru the draft.
    that is forward thinking imo.
    a few of the more expensive guys, like Revis, Fitz, and Clady, didn't provide nearly enough return on investment, which would be a better criticism imo. others moves like Harris, Marshall, Forte, and McLendon I don't have much issue with though.

some good and bad with the younger vets too.
    I liked re-signing Wilk, although he provided no return this season. I hope he turns that shit around as we got him long term.
    Skrine and Gilchrist were a mixed bag, but ultimately didn't make enough plays to justify their checks.
    Carpenter and Powell were nice values.

All in all, Mac's veteran moves were a mixed bag.
    But none of them really kills the team long term, unless Wilk continues to flop.

what the Giants did was extremely risky, and not something i would suggest.
    the GM was desperate and took the gamble. it's panned out great so far, but we'll see if that remains the case throughout the duration of those massive guaranteed contracts.

5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

good point on the comp picks.

such a weird system with players somehow offsetting..

6. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Wasn't Forte a trade? If so, he does not count towards the formula.

7. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Bottom line is Macc is the GM and should take most of the criticism and praise for signings unless otherwise proven...In this case, I was against Fitz the whole time so I have the right to blast Macc after the fact

Geno was not ideal but easily a much better decision than to waste 12 million on Fitz...We could have signed Snacks with that money or rolled it over into this year's salary. Only a fool would argue otherwise

CS who couldn't coach up 2 young QBs? How about the GM that by all accounts reached like 2 rounds too early for Hack and Petty is a 4th round wildcard. Hard to blame anyone for him not doing too well. How are you supposed to "coach up" Fitz at this point?

The coaching was piss poor but Macc hasn't been much better all things considered

Snoopdogg likes this.
  8. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Its Bowles job to coach up the talent. Macc has gotten some nice pieces on this team except for Hack. Now look at the Pat's they plug guys in and they are successful because they have real coaches up there. We have Bowles first time coach, Gailey hot garbage, Rodgers who should have been fired. They Jets looked lost and that reflects on Bowles not Macc.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. boozer32

Geno sucks and I'm glad he'll be leaving. Don't blame Macc because Bowles is incompetent and lost every Sunday. When the Colts wide receivers were running free in our seconary was that Macc fault. For the first time since Dick Steinberg we have a scouting type GM's. Everyone else was either an accountant (Tannenbaum) or wannabe GM (Parcells). Kotite was awful and so was Bradway.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. boozer32

That is a fair assesment. How many GM's turned down Woody when he was searching for a GM in 2013? Almost all of them and most didn't even won't an interview. That is how we got stuck with Idzik. Now we have a true scouting GM and you want to run him out after 2 years. Idzik had 2 bad draft with only Winter, Geno and Pryor to show for it. Macc in that same 2 year period has Williams, Maudlin, Jenkins, Burris, Snell, Lee, Peake, Petty and Edwards. UDFA Anderson, Marshall, Middleton. All gain playing time either due to injuries or talent. I say that's good but certainly not the 1974 Steelers draft. But definately some building blocks. That is all you can asked for from a GM. Its the coaching staff job to get them contributing.

11. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

He wants Bradway back. or T-bomb for that matter. [Jets haven't had a competent GM for ages - and he wants the first one in the recent memory out. Humor me on this.]

12. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

To a degree, I understand this. But Wilkerson was the best player on this team last year. You really expected Maccagnan to predict his performance this year?

alleycat9 likes this.
  13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

That would've been a sign Mac is a good GM, being better at player evaluation than the average TGG poster. But my bigger concerns are poor drafting and signing overpriced vets.

14. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

no, he was a FA acquisition

the bears replaced him with a fifth round pick that ended up second in the league in rushing

15. jsyankees12

jsyankees12 Member

Macc didn't restructure Revis' contract last season so we can cut him this year without a massive cap hit. And his signings haven't all been on the money, but he's given us wiggle room to get out of these deals. We can free up to $50M in cap space by getting rid of alot of these bloated contracts.

The Mo deal is bad in hindsight, as is the Fitz contract. Those two, plus the Hack pick could ultimately sink Macc. Again, I think it's easy to justify why we gave Revis that money. Coming off of a bad season with no fanfare surrounding the team, a glaring hole at corner and tons of money to spend. It was kind of a no-brainer. Nobody could have predicted this sharp of a decline physically and mentally

16. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

Disagree with the 2 solid contributors from each draft, in today's NFL you need more than that as well as strong free-agent signings, and
    a couple of solid non-drafted FA signings (Anderson was one!)....Macc will have to earn my respect back after the Hack (reach) pick, I said
    at the time he was staking his career on that decision, at this point he made a MAJOR Blunder!!!

boozer32 likes this.
  17. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

Mac had to re-sign Fitz last offseason. If the Jets would have had this season with Geno or another QB, the fans would have called for his head. He shouldn't have kept negotiating against himself once it was obvious that no other team was interested in Fitz though.

18. King Koopa

It's just not true

A good GM gets rid of players too early rather than too late

No way in hell was a declining journeyman worth that money, nevermind an embarrassing holdout in the process

Many Jet fans would have been fine if Macc stuck to his guns and told Fitz to take a hike

He made a dumb move bringing him back if you watched this season at all you would agree

19. King Koopa

No they're all bad GMs in their own ways

Tanny atleast got this team close to a Super Bowl and blew up our cap in the process

Macc's story isn't over here but I don't like most of what he's done so far. Doesn't mean he can't turn it around

20. King Koopa

Pats are succesful because they have had one of the greatest QBs of all time for the last 15 years...much easier for some of your other moves to seem smart with Brady masking tons of weaknesses throughout the years

You need a QB to win and the Jets are stil as far as they've ever been in finding one.

boozer32 likes this.