Its been hard to land a franchise QB in the first round...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by PulseJet, Jan 4, 2017.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

bears didn't draft cutler, broncos did,not sure if i would call him a bust, maybe disappointing but 11 years as a starter is not a bust

Jets69 and Red Menace like this.
  2. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

The 2018 draft is where the Jets best chances for a franchise QB lay but they'll have to be real bad next season.

3. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Of course your right... Broncos.

Cutler is a Massive Bust. And I liked him coming out.

4. FJF

massive bust? come on man, massive busts don't last 11 years. gholston was a massive bust,jamarcus,leaf, manzel.
    you are watering down the word. cutler has a lot of turnovers and a weird attitude but he also managed 200 tds and 61% comp for a career and is an 11 year starter. that flies in the face of the definition of the word bust.
    i hope we bust on a qb like that soon, just one with a better attitude

5. PulseJet

Ok, I agree. He is not a massive bust. Just a massive disappointment maybe... If the Broncos traded Cutler to the Jets instead of the Bears, would us Jets fans be happy we had Cutler and no rings? Or sad we didn't win when we had a franchise guy? My guess is the latter.

FJF likes this.
  6. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

It really sheds light on why teams should stick to the boring safe pick and BPA.

How many teams have reached for the so called can't miss QB or skilled player and end up with an average joe.

Then teams like Pitt just plod along and select BPA, guard, center, OLB and next thing you know they have starters for the next five years.

I hope the jets stick to BPA this time around throughout the whole draft and not reach for a QB.

#26 Red Menace, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    Royal Tee likes this.
  7. PulseJet

Bingo! That's what I thought as well. All this talk of Romo, Cutler, Foles etc is a waste of time. Just develop the OL, CB's. Build the team up the right way and roll with Petty/Hack. Then if the drafted kids don't work out (likely) then sign a proven vet QB to make the run. But you need the core of your team in place first.

Red Menace likes this.
  8. FJF

agreed except this year watson might be worth the 6th pick.

Red Menace likes this.
  9. PulseJet

Reeaaacchhh!

10. Red Menace

If you have to use the word might, it means he is probably not worth it.

Jets69 likes this.
  11. FJF

or you are not sure how the first 5 picks go and want to leave yourself an out

Red Menace likes this.
  12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He's a polarizing figure right now cause scouts have so much tape on him, they will nitpick his flaws. I see him as a more accurate Tyrod Taylor under the right system. If he balls out on Alabama again, I think he becomes the consensus first QB taken. He would've been a good fit for Gailey and the offense we once had.

Jonathan_Vilma and FJF like this.
  13. Red Menace

Judging by the way teams have reached for QBs, I don't think he will be available at 6.

#33 Red Menace, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    FJF likes this.
  14. FJF

if chip wasn't fired i wouldn't think there was a chance he gets past s.f.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Well said. Both the OP and this post support the theory that we should continue to take quarterbacks somewhere in the draft under all circumstances, in my opinion.

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think Watson is going to be a baller in the NFL. He'll turn the ball over a lot early on in his career, but I firmly believe he has the football acumen and IQ to be a winner in this league. You don't just fall into a 27-2 record as a starter the past two years with luck. He's looked to pass first a lot more this year than ever before, which bodes well.

He's the new age NFL prospect in being a player that can pass and run, but is looking to pass first. I hope by some magic he falls to the end of the first and we trade up to get him. There's no way he falls to our pick in the second round, but if he gets past say 10-14 he'll likely make it all the way to 30-32.

FJF likes this.
  17. PulseJet

Bryce Petty had a 21-4 record starting at Baylor and went in the 4th round because he came from a spread offense and had accuracy issues. Not sure why Watson would be a round one selection. Some sites think he is a likely 3rd round pick:
    https://walterfootball.com/draft2017QB.php

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think it goes to show you that most teams are still shooting in the dark at the QB position, even the ones drafting a real winner in a later round, like the Pats, Seahawks and Cowboys.

Fans of those teams would want you to think it was a master plan, but the reality is they walked into a convenience store for a Pepsi and a bag of chips, asked for a random pick Powerball ticket on a whim, and woke up with a winner the next day.

There's no science to it because you don't have the access to the player required to even begin to understand what makes them tick and play except for a weird weekend of awkward interviews and endlessly rehearsed drills.

And it's the most important position in the entire league.

This is why the NFL is a passing league. There's so few good passers that they need to stack the deck to get points on the board.

PulseJet, Brook! and FJF like this.
  19. PulseJet

Good points... I think even when they get a good one, and hit the lottery, they still need a very good defense and a balanced team to win. Stafford and Ryan I think are good enough to win, but their teams have been flawed. So just make sure your team is balanced and your d is good and take lots of shots at a QB and hope you hit the lottery. Either that or put more pressure on the league to let your defenses play the game and stop protecting certain star QB's at the expense of others.

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You don't know that, and neither does any NFL scout.

There's only assumptions and the pretense of knowledge.

HomeoftheJets likes this.