Hypothetical jets vs. bears question... Super Bowl possible?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreen04, Nov 14, 2006.

1. GangGreen04

GangGreen04 Active Member

if the jets beat the bears this sunday at the meadowlands are the jets legitamite superbowl contenders?? i say no but that fact that we beat the pats, hung tough with the colts, and the prospect of taking down the bears would be very enticing for us jets fans.

Discuss? Simple question. We win sunday, r we for real?

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If the Jets go 7-0 from here on they are legitimate super bowl contenders.

Anything less than that and they're just in for the ride until they peter out on a cold windy field in Denver in January, or maybe cold wet field in Baltimore.

What I'm trying to say is that 12-4 and a home playoff game in the Meadowlands is an absolute minimum requirement for the Jets to be considered a serious super bowl contender.

#2 Br4d, Nov 14, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2006
  3. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

Nope

They just aren't a member of the AFC ellite yet. Denver, Indy, San Diego and even Baltimore are ahead of us. And thats fine, for now.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

But we passed up Miami and Pittsburgh if only momentarily. Little steps...

5. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

Yep, patience will pay off in Mangini's case I think.

6. steviep

steviep Active Member

Bears are good. I was impressed against the giants but certainly beatable.

WE are not sb contenders. We are not good enough on defense. We are not nearly as good as Colts, Chargers or Denver.

But...so what...lets play the games--you never know.

7. LWC611

LWC611 Member

Easy now, I have to agree with steviep our defense is just not good enough. and we are not one of the best teams in our conference. Further I think we need to run the ball more consistently.

8. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

No, I do not belive if they win this week they become super bowl contenders . The colts are super bowl contenders every year and we all know how that story goes. Looked at with a little more respect Yes!

9. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Making the playoffs gives us sb contention. Let's just take it one game at a time and focus on making the playoffs.

10. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

The Steelers went 11-5 last year and didn't have a home playoff game. Anything can happen.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

While I get what your really saying, is that the Jets aren't good enough to go on the road three games in a row in hostile environments and take down playoffs teams; I agree to an extent. If they beat the Bears this week, then that puts them at two games against the tops in the NFL, and the field conditions vs. New England were horrible. I don't think the environment or field conditions will shake the Jets. The only thing that will shake them is that they will get outplayed early on.

12. Darth Vader

Darth Vader Member

The Superbowl

Forget the Playoffs.

The Jets can win the Superbowl.

I know I know. We're overachievers. and Inconsistent.

So what?

We took the Colts to the wire.

Took the Pats to the wire once, and then defeated them once, in NE.

Our season has been a journey of development. Now that our Defense has stiffened, and our OL is beginning to gel and show the fruits, and our Barlow/Washington combo has caught up with the Coles/Cotch combo, we are looking like a team, that if it can set its own house in order, can be a dangerous team come January, and February...

And this week, vs. the Bears will be the greatest and final litmus test for this team.

#1: If we can defeat the Bears, we will have pulled off two victories against SB contenders in a row, no matter how we do it, that would stand on its own.

#2: If we can get the defense to play consistent, and put up a performance like it did vs the pats, we will have fully turned the corner on this season, for good. All we need is that defensive consistency. If we can achieve said consistency, all that Penny has to do is manage the game. All we need is Barlow and Washington to hold on to the ball. And that is also when Mr. Brad Smith, when he becomes a part of the offense can really sting a defense.

If the jets win on Sunday, there will be SB talk. The Giants didn't do it. Sure, we aren't in even as a WC yet. But regardless, the talk will begin.

There are no teams out there that are flawless. This thing is wide open folks. All we have to do is beat the bears, and get in there.

Just a head's up from the future. :up:

13. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

If the D plays better, than we would be a playoff team in my mind. But the offense has really dipped in production, although it is doing enough to win games. I really don't care if we make the playoffs or not, of course I would love it if we do though. We are good enough to win games but we certainly aren't leet.

14. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

And the Steelers had both a top 5 rushing offense and a top 5 rushing defense, which are the great equalizers when you're not as talented as the opposition. The Jets are 15th in rushing offense and 28th in rushing defense, which isn't going to win you playoff games on the road.

15. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

not to mention the steelers had amazing QB play up to the SB, and knocked out the opposing teams best player after 1 pass in their first round game.

16. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Damn dude, I'm no sunshiner. In fact I consider myself a realist.
    But your posts just kik ass.... :up:

The fact that the Journey of Developement (Great Line) is happening in 1 season is very impressive.....
    I think right now the shock is from the JETS fans who actually see a team Improving before there eyes. I don't remember the last time if Ever I've seen that.

I'll be there too. Screaming my Face off. :beer:

17. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

at least youre using football terms this time.....good post blackbird, although it is a bit too optimistic...the one problem I have with it is the defense. This is in no way, shape or form a superbowl defense...while youre right in the fact that we need it to be consistent, it will not be with the current players...we were blitz happy on sunday and it worked to perfection...however this is no way to build a superbowl defense...not to sound too much like champ here, but I think its safe to say that if we do get to a superbowl soon, there will only be about 6 guys on that defense that are on it now......but hey, heres to your psitive thinking:beer:

18. bearmick

bearmick New Member

If you hang with Indy and beat the Pats and the Bears, you have to be considered as good as anyone.

Beating the Bears is a BIG if tho'. Can't wait for this game, looks a lot more exciting now given what happened last weekend.

19. Darth Vader

Darth Vader Member

positive thinking -- someone's gotta do it

20. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

We have been all year, others are just starting to notice it.