Should Hack play Sunday?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rickjet, Dec 29, 2016.

?

Why isn't Hack getting start vs. Bills?

1. Jets are confirming they made a "huge reach"

9 vote(s)
    13.4%
  2. If he "implodes" Mac's job is on the line.

7 vote(s)
    10.4%
  3. Jets believe in the kid and are just being patient.

34 vote(s)
    50.7%
  4. Mac has made two horrible 2nd round picks in his two years!

9 vote(s)
    13.4%
  5. Organization doesn't know WTF they are doing!

17 vote(s)
    25.4%
  6. 2017 starting QB is not on current roster.

14 vote(s)
    20.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I didn't draft Hack-- just so you know. I think it was the GM that did that. Nor did I advocate drafting him. I can't go back and undraft him, either.

I don't see how throwing him to the wolves helps anything, though. You saying that the Jets thew Geno to the wolves doesn't compel me to agree that we should do so with Hack.

2. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

Even then, with the GM we seem to have, he will pass over the one we need, for the one he believes in.
    To hell with drafting our franchise QB.
    We need to just break out the check book and give the money to someone who is proven. It would stop this continuous cycle of shit QB's that's been killing our team for decades.

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Who are you anyway? You apparently get much more exposure to what's going on in Florham Park than the rest of us if you can unequivocally state that Smith is better than Hackenberg. Only an insider could be telling us the true progress of his development, or lack of same. The fact you cite that "he hasn't improved in any football areas" is disappointing as hell - you'd think he at least would have learned some new plays by now.

Of course a case could be made that you really are not the fly on the wall you claim to be and are just inflating your pompous ego with more BS opinion couched as reality.

4. tbruner12

Sorry to step on your toes Christian Hackenberg. Prove me wrong.
    Speculation isn't all I have, considering Geno started right out of the gate and performed with junk players compared to what we have had for the last couple years. Hack barely got reps in practice, does that ring a bell to you? You ever play any sports? Only an insider can see that Geno is ahead of Hack? You must be kidding. What argument do you have to invalidate what I said? Tell us Christian, what have you learned in your year of being a JET?

5. Ralebird

Hah! Here we go again, tell us you also were a Division One QB!

Yes, speculation is all you have. You just have a problem separating that from reality - the real reality, not the one that tells you you're so much smarter or enlightened than everyone else.

Have all the opinions you want, just have enough humility to admit they're only opinions.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  6. tbruner12

Where did I say anything is fact?
    Looks like somebody got offended that Geno is obviously better than Hack. It's not my fault if you can't see that much. Even our inept coaching staff can see it, why can't you?
    Truth be told I didn't play college football as a QB, that is your assumption.
    Here is some truthful speculation for you..... Hack is so bad he can't even grace the field this Sunday in a meaningless game. Want to make a bet he is a bust? Quit running your gator, put your money where your mouth is, Christian. Haha

7. Ralebird

I can't see that Smith is "obviously" better than Hackenberg because I've never seen Hackenberg play.

That's pretty simple - even you should be able to understand it. Put your ego aside, reality is right in front of your face.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Trading for a vet QB wouldn't solve the problem. It might give us a cotton candy melts on the tongue sensation for 2017 but by 2018 we're just back with an aftertaste of didn't do the long-term job and so the Jets suck again.

The only kind of QB add that would make a huge difference for more than one season is a 28-29 year old star and nobody trades those guys for anything.

Drew Brees is 38. Tony Romo has a broken back. Jay Cutler sucks at this point.

Who are the Jets going to sign that will make a difference beyond next year?

9. tbruner12

Oh I get it, until you see him get out on the field and flop, he is better than Geno? Geno started in this league, Hack? No he has issues that even the staff can see. You denying that Geno is better is enough for me.
    You realize that Geno was two places ahead of Hack on the depth chart? That's a fact.
    He won't play this Sunday, unless Fitz gets hurt, and he is suppose to be one of our QB's of the future. What does that say about him?
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Bilial Powell may be a better QB than Hack.

10. tbruner12

I didn't mean to sign an over the hill QB, or trade. For instance, when Andrew Luck becomes a free agent, outbid all others. Again this isn't a direct point toward luck, him as an example. Young QB, in the league 5-6 years, proven franchise QB.
    It would have to be easier and cheaper than blowing years worth of 1st and 2nd round busts.

11. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Was Petty made of glass?

The Jets DID blow 2 years on Geno and the fact is we still didn't really know if he was the guy, not even this year. Thinking that playing Hackenburg this ONE game behind a decimated oline against the Bills(who seem to always cause the Jets injuries) is going to tell us all we need to know for the future is absurdity of the highest caliber.

Ridiculous speculative nonsense.

12. Ralebird

I'll note that poor reading comprehension is also a factor in some of the "facts" you're so fond of broadcasting.

At no time did I ever assert that Hackenberg was or is better than Smith; that is simply another figment of your imagination.

13. tbruner12

Not ridiculous, but speculative. Why else would our GM reach way too far on a more than likely bust who could have been had much later in the draft. You think a 4th or 5th round pick was gonna scare Fitz and his agent? You realize our GM waited until Late to sign our QB of the year?
    Think what you want, but I bet this comes to light in the future.
    We didn't blow two years on Geno the way we are Hack. Geno didn't have a chance to begin with. He was surrounded by shit, and played like shit too. Hack can't even get practice reps he is so bad.
    Take up for Hack the bust all you want. When he becomes one, I'll be sure to let you hear about it. Lol

14. tbruner12

Why were you defending him then?
    Reading comprehension, please dude. Don't act like you were neutral when you attacked my stance so quickly. On the school yard, everyone would call you a pussy for it.

15. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

In the war of; Geno vs. Hack...who cares- both suck...sign Glennon...then use top 10
    pick on rebuilding OL.....

tbruner12 likes this.
  16. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

That's what I'm saying and what I think we'll do. No more band aids. Just go through one more horrific season, which we may not have to try all that hard to do with our current QB's, CS and GM.

Until we get that franchise QB (which I believe 2018 will have 2, if not 3) then this vicious cycle will continue for this franchise.

Br4d likes this.
  17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If the reason for taking Hack was to threaten Fitz, Mac could have taken any QB and accomplished the same thing. He actually would have been better off taking a QB like Kessler who was seen as more pro-ready because that would have given Fitz more urgency. Nope, Mac took Hack because he liked him. Not that that makes it any better.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Andrew Luck is never going to become a free agent unless he gets hurt in a big way or his performance drops off of a cliff.

That's the problem. You can't sign a big name free agent at QB because no big name QB's ever hit the market.

When Drew Brees hit the market he was an injury case where his team had already spent a high first on his replacement.

When Brett Favre hit the market he was 40-something.

There just aren't any good QB's on the market in any year you look at unless they come with huge questions attached to them. What are available are veteran retreads and backups. You have 2 or 3 of those guys on the market in any given year and if you're willing to overpay for them on the cap you can guarantee a competent floor of performance in many years. You almost never get a high ceiling though. If those guys had a high ceiling they'd never hit the market.

Edit: and I just remembered that Favre never hit the market. Both the Jets and the Vikings traded for him.

Red Menace likes this.
  19. Ralebird

One of these days you need to grow up, stop with the childish name calling and get out of the school yard. You are the one drawing unfounded conclusions, I am saying there is not enough information in the public domain to create an informed opinion. But that doesn't stop you.

20. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Sorry, but no GM is going to waste a 2nd round draft pick for the sole reason of applying pressure to an over the hill free agent. It's one of the most absurd things I've heard in a while. Everyone knew Hackenburg wasn't going to start this year. That literally put ZERO pressure on Fitz or his agent LOL. I could see the argument if they traded up for Wentz or Goff, but you don't draft a project that won't play for a year to pressure a free agent.

The point is we don't know what we have in Hack yet and playing him this Sunday isn't going to change that. It's only going to appease emotional fans.

#60 Sam Hammer, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016