Defend Maccagnan

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by King Koopa, Dec 25, 2016.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

we are going to let emotion blind us from that fact, thank you

2. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Finding a playmaker or gem in the draft...making a great free agent signing....making a great trade

I can list you a ton of negatives but the positives don't really balance them out

The bottom line to me is that our QB position still seems to be a disaster and our team is still light years away from being a championship contender....We are at best in the same situation as we were 2 years ago when Macc took over.....It's not all on him but as the GM you must take a fair share of the responsibility for the product on the field- good or bad

What is Macc's plan? I'm just not seeing a championship foundation being laid down by him

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

He drafted Brick, Mangold, Brad Smith, Leon Washington, Revis, Harris, Dustin Keller, Shonn Greene, Matt Slauson, Mo, Powell, and Kerley. He was actually a good drafter, but he traded away too many picks and missed on Sanchez.

FJF and James Hasty like this.
  4. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

He was here 7 years lmao.

It's not impossible for Macc to find 13 useful players in 7 years and not leave us in cap hell like Trader Mike.

We were so bad we needed another cap guy to come in and clean it up. And still reeling from his terrible drafts

#44 Matty Jets, Dec 25, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  5. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

A team without a QB is a disaster. A team with a QB has a plan.

We need a QB.

VaBchJet likes this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Beg to differ here. With all the injuries plus a few guys going post-prime it definitely looks like a 4 win roster.

Dierking likes this.
  7. Viffer98

Viffer98 Member

I was originally happy with Macc, but I lost all faith in him when Paxton Lynch was available at 20 and he passed on Lynch to take Hackensack. We had no real quarterback on the roster and he passed up the QB that most people thought was the third best in the draft. At that moment I thought Macc had to go. You can't win in this league without a QB.

8. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Next year is Mac's make or break year, same as it is Bowles. The Jets are in the same position as they were at the end of the Rex years. They are several years, a QB and a major rebuild away from being serious contenders.

Expectations will be low for next season. What I really want to see from Mac this offseason is nailing the first 3 rounds in the upcoming draft which can be impact guys when you're picking at let's say #5 in each round. I want to see him lay a foundation to build on. That starts with impact guys on either side of the ball, especially a game breaker on O (Fournette) or a big-time OL, as well as a pass rushing LB/DE and Secondary.

Also I'd like to see him try to target a few young FA's to address key positions starting with the atrocious Secondary and the aging OL. It's obviously easier said than done with cap ramifications but we need some solid upgrades at these positions.

I'd try to bring in Foles or Hoyer on the cheap to compete for the starting job next year.

I don't want Mac bringing in any projects in the draft especially in the first 3 rounds (ie Hack). Impact draft picks early is key for his job tenure here.

9. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

You wouldn't find the real reason if a football hit you square on the nose :p I just gave you one real good reason and there are many here that also provided very good support for Mac staying. It's a sure bet Mac will stay on - Bowles , he's on the hot seat.

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Macc doesn't get a pass by any means. I think he's pissed his pants plenty of times.

.....but he didn't hire Bowles and the teAm just completely doesn't respect their coaching staff. Macc should have a chance to run the organization like a GM should. Pick his coach to coach his players

11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I really can't defend MacCagnan.

I won't attack him for any of his drafts, as I believe it can take 3 years for a true draft grade to be determined, especially when it comes to QBs.

But I WILL attack him for the way he burnt through the most money of ANY team in the NFL the year he came in. He 'bought' our secondary on the FA market with Revis, Skreen, and Gilchrist to the tune of $30 million dollars. He gets an A+ for Buster and Gilchrist. He gets an F for his Revis purchase. This is exactly what I posted 2 years ago, not something new I'm making up. Revis literally cost us the season this year, and may be the single worst FA pick up ever for the Jets, cap wise. Worse ever.

What really sinks my Mac opinion is his handling of Snacks and MoWilk. Snacks was the top NT in the NFL and Mac let him walk in favor of locking up a DE we didn't even need. Anyone who says Snacks didn't matter has no concept of how football is played in a 3-4 scheme. We were constantly gashed up the middle all season when it mattered most. Seeing Leonard Williams playing NT is a pathetic joke, and totally on Mac.

Wilkerson aside, losing Snacks is a huge gaff we may never recover from. Snacks is a shut-down run stuffer that Mac let walk away. Teams like NE never even TRIED to run on us with Snacks in the middle. Now? Our run D up the middle is a total joke, and we could go 10-15 years before having another impact guy like Snacks in the middle.

Mac: F

alleycat9 likes this.
  12. King Koopa

You haven't given any good reasons at all

All you said was that basically Bowles is horrible and that Parcells turned a different Jets team around 20 years ago after we got rid of Kotite

It's possible both Bowles and Macc are poor at their jobs...it doesn't have to be one or the other

13. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

This is the first time in many years that I didn't watch all the games closely. And I've kind of figured all along that Bowles would get a chance to learn from his mistakes and return.
    But even so, the breakdowns appear team wide, across all three phases, and are fundamental in some cases. I'm really doubting that this staff is a good one for teaching fundamentals, developing young players, instituting a disciplined winning culture, and putting the players in a position to succeed.
    Plus the gamesmanship during the game is fucking atrocious, particularly defensively and specials teams.

To your point: I hope Woody gets together with Mac and let's him make the call to hire his own guy. And stops this balance of power thing that's in place with that twit Woody as President.

I've been wavering on this, but I think Bowles and his entire staff gots to go now, and am starting to think it's very possible. Even yesterday I thought Bowles would be back. Regrettably, I hope not now

alleycat9 likes this.
  14. King Koopa

But my issue is that no he shouldnt be given that opportunity cause he hasn't earned it....Its hard to separate Bowles and Macc when evaluating but when I dig deep I can't really find too many positives that make me think Macc is a really bright football mind

Regardless of what I think he will probably be given that opportunity....I'll take it if it means getting rid of Bowles

God forbid we keep both

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

As I posted in another thread. Mac has been operating at a disadvantage due to the fucked up org chart with Bowles and Mac being equals. If Bowles reported to Mac as he should be, Mac may have ordered changes during the season, he may never have brought back Fitz. We just don't know what moves Woody ordered Mac to make or that Mac made to try to give Bowles every opportunity to succeed.

Mac has added some good young players and some others with potential. It's way too early to evaluate his drafts. Most of the FA contracts were good and reasonable and didn't hurt the Jets long term. He made good moves to bring in Brandon Marshall. He overhauled the scouting dept. His first year, he had to work with the existing scouting dept. for the draft. He hasn't really had the opportunity to put his stamp on the team by hiring a HC. I'd be willing to bet that Woody ordered the "competitive rebuild." Even if not, the problems this team start with Woody, so bringing in a new GM would more than likely not change one thing. Conversely, most of the rest of the problems with this team rest squarely on Bowles and his CS. The reasons have been posted in numerous threads and are all valid.

#55 NCJetsfan, Dec 26, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    PulseJet, SonofDinger and Red Menace like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

How do you figure that? What has he done to drive the team into the ground?

17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

So how do you grade the past two drafts? Didn't he find a playmaker in WR corp? Or how about Leonard Williams pick? Are you not happy with that?

Since you speak of FA signings - did you hate Brandon Marshall trade last year too?

Last, but not the least - to make a trade, you need a partner. The Great Train Robbery of the 90's is not happening - or name ONE GM that made it happen in today's NFL.

=======================================================================

I have mentioned the coaching staff ad nauseum for a reason. What good is a prospect if the coaching staff can't make use of their talent, much less nurture them into a contributing role? You say Macc didn't do a damn thing about QB situation and all, but let me ask you this: do you honestly think Dak Prescott would have set the league on fire if he had been drafted by the Jets, like he has this season with Cowboys?

What I see is, a capable GM that is filling the holes left over by the previous regime - and he is filling the holes in a hurry. Before Macc took over as the GM, Jets had major holes at: OLBs, DBs, OLs and WRs, not to mention QBs and RBs. [Hell. It would have been faster to count who could do a good enough of a job as a starter on that roster; Mangold, D'Brick, Decker, Harris, and DLs. THAT IS ABOUT IT. OKAY?]

Now, WR is bubbling with talent, and Jets have spent 2nd on Hack. Jury is still out on Petty - but Macc is not sitting idle on QB to say the very least. He filled the secondaries with FA signings, but the wheel fell off this season - that's what happens with aging vets. LB spot got younger in a hurry. [Mauldin, Jenkins, Lee] and you are not happy with the way this team is headed, eh? Did you honestly think the talent-depleted roster could be restocked in two off-seasons? Jets still haven't done jack shit about OL - Brandon Shell was about the few handful picks Macc had done on OL, but no blue chipper. Or the secondary. Or that stud RB. Did Macc have enough picks to address all these areas? [John Idzik had 14 picks to address most of them - and he fucked it up hard, starting with QB pick.]

So I am asking you - why are you blaming Maccagnan for things T-Bomb and Idzik didn't do? And you think that's logical and fair? Humor me on that.

Red Menace and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

Makes no sense imo. The FA signings were mostly stop gaps and never intended as long-term fixes. He had to spend a lot of money. I'm sure that Woody wanted Revis back and the "competitive rebuild" was his idea. He's had to operate within a dysfunctional organizational structure where the HC and he were equals. Mac should get the opportunity to hire his own HC.

Bowles has shown no progress and has lost the team. He's clearly in over his head as a HC. Bringing him back would result in nothing positive. The jury is still out on Mac, or at least it should be with anyone reasonable.

19. NCJetsfan

We aren't in cap hell. We're $1-$2 million over the cap. That can easily be remedied.

The FAs Mac signed were stop gaps. Carpenter & Skrine were the only ones who were long-term signings. He wrote the contracts so that the players could be dumped after a year or two.

If Mac doesn't have to do the "competitive rebuild" BS next season, then he can eschew signing big name FAs, except maybe at LT, and sign a number of younger, cheaper players for depth and competition. He doesn't have to spend all the money. He can roll some over to the 2018 season.

20. NCJetsfan

Great post!

I'd add that Mac did a great job scrambling to get Clady after Brick retired at the last minute, and he made a good signing in Khiry Robinson, but he couldn't help it that Robinson went down with an injury early. He took a good risk on ASJ and it looks like it will pay off.

As for the secondary, that's supposed to be Bowles' specialty and it took him forever to make any changes/adjustments. Mac can't help it that Bowles couldn't get productive play out of players that have all played well in the past.