Macc... Trade or Cut Petty ASAP!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

or more likely never drafted him in the first place.

zace likes this.
  2. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I really dont honestly. You know im brutally honest, whether its for our benefit or not. I just think you get a FA build the oline in the draft and go from there. No sense getting a rookie who isnt going to deliever and have him stand back there. Nobody in this draft is that good.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

3. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

it is what happens when management forgets for years to upgrade your OL, and passes on guys like OL Gabe Jackson in the draft to instead reach for nobodies like Dexter McDuck.

Cman68 likes this.
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Yep.. No reason for Petty to waste his prime years with a organization that is clueless. He'd be better off taking his chances in the spring with another team or even the CFL. Maybe a real NFL team with a oline, an OC and a reasonable amount of success grooming young players. Let Hack spend the next 5 years getting smashed weekly or better yet, how about another overpriced, marginal FA to replace the overpriced marginal FA we already had on the roster. Anything is better than playing QB for the New York Jests.

Macc, if you have any sense of decency, you'll release/cut Petty at the end of the season...Looks like Geno will escape the Gulag so why not Petty??

#FreePettyNow!

#64 Cman68, Dec 18, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
    tomdeb likes this.
  5. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

The kid made progress and made some throws that no other QB on this team has made in a few years. The announcers suck but they pointed out as did the coach in the box he was impressive on many throws.

He is handicapped by a very poor OL, very poor coaching and hardly any reps THIS YEAR... some of you guys crack me up. I am reading throw the game thread and he is like the second coming of Joe and then at the end when the OL is shit, the CS play calling is shit, the protections are all F-up almost say he sucks... .

How much time has he had with his WR? Who many reps has he had with the 1st team - and slugs they call an OL. The only WR he has chemistry with is anderson and you see what that brings...

Fix the fking OL, cut the vets and please fire that inept HC.

dogg, NCJetsfan, hwismer and 5 others like this.
  6. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

No, it's just I don't do research for you. It was reported in August that Geno was being shopped to Minn when Bridgewater went down and to the Cowboys when Romo was injured. And media said there was no market for Geno but some inquiries about Petty. Believe what you want to believe.

7. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Please don't flatter yourself. It was rhetorical question. I don't need anything from you. Because nobody wanted Petty as a starter and saying theres intrest also means squat. That's just calling, doesnt mean anyone was seriously considering it. Nobody wanted any of these QBs. The majot reason why nobody was going to trade for Geno was because its stupid to. Hes going to be a FA. Lmao do my research for me, dont kid yourself.

I dont care about taking the unpopular stance. I always do and im rarely wrong. Hes just not that good. You get a good moment here and there, but if it wasnt for Powell, Petty had NO command whatsoever. Stop blaming the O-line. WR were beating their DBs like drums all night and Petty couldnt connect. He had shots and he missed damn near all of them. Cmon man thats not QB growing pains, thats lack of talent. At least you can improve on awareness at this stage.

8. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

You sound like a head case. Go get medical help seriously.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Spot on! It wasn't Petty that cost them the game. He's shown a lot of ability and heart despite being surrounded by scrubs - with the exception of Powell of course. I don't want to lose Petty - at least until we find someone better, which isn't on the horizon at this point - but I have to agree with the idea of sending him away for his own good. What an abysmal franchise!

NCJetsfan, LarryAlRalph and Cman68 like this.
  10. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Yeah i need an evaluation from someone who cant even see a bad qb in front of him. Except pretty much any football expert. Hmmm now i dont consider myself an expert and i can see it. Like i said i dont need your validation, when next season rolslls around youll be begging to keep petty off the field. Stop blaming tje organization for not grooming someone and just accept that they just simply dont pick good QBs to begin with. You cant groom someone who lacks talent.

Now i can sit here and support everything im saying, can you? Can you show me where Petty has shown the opposite? His TD:INT ratio is garbage. Dont give me the Manning or Aikmen line, theyre exception to the Rules.

11. ColoradoContrails

Great line. A bright spot in this shit storm.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

His TD/INT ratio would be a lot better if the receivers would stop dropping the fucking ball all the time, and he wasn't running for his fucking life on every play!

13. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Well my assessment isnt based on that alone. I said it in the preseason when when it was much better against poorer competition. He just wasnt lighting it up against 3rd and 4th stringers which is an indictment on him. Apparently Cosell, NFL evaluation god, agrees. Cosell is almost always spot on.

Overall, the more I watched Petty the less I liked him as an NFL starter. His almost alarming lack of accuracy was very troubling. Much of it was likely resulting from his poor footwork and balance – can that be fixed? That's a big "maybe."

"There are a lot of questions that are hard to answer as he transitions from Baylor's spread offense to the NFL. He has almost no understanding of protections, because that was not part of his responsibility in the Baylor offense. He has not been taught the pass game based on three-step/five-step/seven-step drop concepts. He will be starting from scratch with that in the NFL There should be a big question of how he functions in the pocket with bodies around him; that’s a definite concern as he transitions to the NFL. He is not a progression reader and will need to be taught that in the NFL. That's a process that takes time. Petty must learn how to move his feet with his eyes when he comes off primary read, he did not stride to the throw and was not always closed to the target – the result will be too many balls thrown with poor balance.

There is a defined quarterback skill set to work with, but Petty needs to be coached and given time to assimilate new concepts and techniques. He has a compact delivery with the ability to trigger quickly, there's good ball position and balance in the pocket, and he has light feet and deceptive mobility and movement.

But Petty was very much a one-read quarterback based on Baylor offense. There will be a significant mental learning curve to play in an NFL offense. The game he played at Baylor and the skills required to play it don’t tell us much about how he’ll transition to the NFL."

Im not just trying to be a killjoy but it is what it is.

14. LarryAlRalph

A wop bop alulop, alop bam boom!

15. LarryAlRalph

Fair enough. I get it that you don't like him, and don't want to. That's pretty obvious. Your alternative is Fitz. Lovely. And how will Petty learn all those things you've listed if he sits on the sideline while the guy with NO future fiddlefucks around with his underpowered arm? We already know sitting on his ass for the best part of two years didn't help him. He has to play. And it takes time to absorb learning curve. If not, everyone would be doing it. And don't tell me about Prescott anything, because Petty doesn't have that O-line in front him, nor an Elliot to give the ball to. So at the end of it all, I'm willing to let the kid learn. How else will he get better? And what other choice do we have fight now?

dogg, NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

Despite all these incurable "flaws", Petty is still the best QB to suit up for the Jets in long time. And if he was actually surrounded by some talent, he'd be much better. I'm not saying he's the second coming of Joe Namath, but who do you want to replace him? And what has the CS been doing with him for two years? Don't blame the kid for playing his heart out in spite of the swiss cheese line he plays behind, and veterans like Marshall and Revis playing like spoiled brats. A big heart can make up for a lot of shortcomings - read up about players like Joe Kapp, Billy Kilmer, and even Bart Starr who couldn't make it on the Steelers but somehow made it to the HOF. Evaluations are simply educated guesses based on measurable qualities - but it's what can't be measured that separates the failures from the successes.

17. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

I'm not giving up on Petty just yet. BAD O-line and Receivers dropping balls left and right, not fair to Bryce, a quarterback who needs to be developed.

As many of you have echoed it is hard to tell with this franchise whether we have a QB or not because we don't have any clue how to develop one. I honestly believe we could have ruined Brady, Rodgers, Brees, etc if we had them on the roster. We are a nightmare destination for QB, a total abyss.

We are infected at the root and we keep cutting off the branches.

18. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Well im not saying play Fitz at all, you should already know how i feel about that too. Unfortunately its just a dismal situation. Theres no one coming in next season to magically fix it and Hack is way worse than Petty. Im definitely not interested in watching that. Were fucked, bottom line.

19. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

For what? A bag of beans? Lol

zace likes this.
  20. zace

zace Well-Known Member

He definitely is not. Geno was the best qb on this roster, and thats saying something. He has plenty of talent. This team is good at the skills position and their run blocking is still pretty good. Dont blame recievers for underthrown balls or holding the ball too long, or throwing straight to a defender. Those are on Petty, and while i dont hold those as the be all end all, theres too much he has to learn to be a good NFL qb, and he hasnt shown that he's capable yet. I dont think he will. He haf no command of that offense yesterday. Once they got away from the script, he was ineffective and struggled to move the ball. Thats not just growing pains of a young qb man thats talent. He should have been able to tdp something especially considering his WRs were in fact open frequently. Yeah they are absolutely to blame for drops, but the inaccuracy is on Petty.