Should Sheldon be Traded to the Giants?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PulseJet, Dec 8, 2016.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I can't disagree with any of the above, but believe many Jets fans would have killed Mac if he didn't get at least a 1st for Mo.

I hope it's the injuries, because he was very good last season, and we need him to return to form. If it's not the injuries, I think it more than a little hypocritical that he's calling out the DBs for not doing their jobs.

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Taking BPA is never a bad idea unless you are looking at a QB with a high pick when you already have one.

We should have either traded Wilkerson or resigned him below market value before his contract year. Why pay Wilk "JJ Watt money" when you already have his replacement?

3. Snoopdogg

Snoopdogg Active Member

The problem wasn't chasing the BPA; the problem was overvaluing Wilk & Sheldon.

We need to draft the BPA but always based on need. If we had correctly valued the need on the D-Line, then we would have said bye-bye to Wilk and drafted Leonard as the BPA to fill the need on the D-Line. What we did was neither of the above - we paid Wilk, under the theory that we fill the need - and we draft the same guy as well.

4. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Jets need to let Sheldon walk when the time comes. I'm sure one day he'll get his head out of his ass and then get his shit together, but I'd rather the Jets not pay him to wait and see how long that takes.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The defensive line HAS been a mess all season. We have 20 sacks on the season. 7 came in game 1.

Leonard Williams - 6.5
    Steve McLendon - 3.5
    Mohammad Wilkerson - 2.5
    Lorenzo Mauldin - 2.5
    Sheldon Richardson - 1.5
    Deon Simon - 0.5

17 sacks from a defensive line with three first round draft picks including one $86 million deal. Four first rounders in five years including the disaster that was Quinton Coples.

We'll be lucky to get a fourth round pick for Sheldon and we may as well take it. They all operate in the same space, with the same 'pass rush' techniques if you want to call them that. The only one that hand fights with offensive lineman is Leo, the rest just try to overpower the opposing lineman and bowl them over.

I'd like to see 4-man fronts a lot with Williams in the 3technique next year because he can take a game over from that spot and wreck offenses. Shit, keep the 3-4 3-man fronts and just make sure we line Leo up on the outside shade of the guard.

6. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

Sheldon is not a 4-3 DE and the Giants are deep at DT. It's not gonna happen. Dallas or Cleveland makes the most sense.

FJF likes this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The late, great, Branch Rickey said it best: "Addition by subtraction". Get rid of anyone who doesn't play hard, and who creates problems. In the long, you're team will improve.

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  8. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

The big thing we need on the Front 7 is a pass rush. You can have all the stud DT's you want but without a pass rush it's not nearly as menacing.

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

But the poor secondary play is a big part of why the pass rush has gone down. It's sort of "chicken or the egg": if the DBs aren't covering the receivers it allows the QB to get rid of the ball quicker; if the P.R. isn't putting pressure on the QB he has time to pick the secondary apart. But this season it looks like it's the poor DB play that's mostly at fault.

Personally I think their #1 need is a stud RB, and am hoping that Fournette is available to them. After picking "D" first for so many drafts, it's long past time to upgrade the offense with the first pick, and having a stud RB will help a young QB more than anything. But, I can see the argument for picking a guy like Peppers if he's there because he would improve the secondary, and by extension, the pass rush.

10. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Sure it's part of it but they still don't have a true pass rusher on this roster. They just have some very high level DT's. I've watched Peppers since he was a frosh in HS. Great player however I don't want the Jets to take him in the top 5. I too want them to take Fournette if he's still on the board as we need a true game breaker on offense.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I woulda bet me house Wilk was gone the second Godell walked to the podium and said "With the 6th pick......". I'll never understand why Macc kept Wilk and cut Snacks. Our whole situation would be so much better with Richardson Snacks Williams and an extra 1 or 2 round pick in the upcoming draft. And an extra $17M to boot.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Dallas is the best fit for Sheldon, but the Jets will be asking too much and will likely either franchise him or let him walk.

I didn't like Tanny, but the guy was a masterful negotiator. He just had no head for football talent.

Macc seems like the opposite. He's very good at finding talent, but he's near-worthless in negotiations. Contracts and trades both.

#32 abyzmul, Dec 10, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    HomeoftheJets likes this.
  13. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

No doubt about that - but if we didn't have Williams there would be almost nothing to like. At least he gives us hope and something to build around. That's why I think it was still the right decision to go BPA in that draft, even though, at the time, we thought Wilk and Sheldon were studs.

14. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

What were the cowboys offering? A 2nd or was it a 3rd?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

No. I'd NEVER want to help those P.O.S. It kills me that they have Snacks..

16. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

The most the Jets get for him is a third round pick I think