What can the Jets do - that's realistic - to turn things around?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ColoradoContrails, Dec 1, 2016.

?

What do you think the Jets can realistically do to turn things around?

1. New QB

16 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. New Head Coach

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. New Offensive Coordinator

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. New GM

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Improve the Pass Rush

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  6. Improve the Secondary

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Improve the Running Game

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  8. Other (Explain)

15 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Yes, he probably had a hollow leg.

Snoopdogg and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

LOL

3. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

For me this is a 3 part process:

1) FIRE Todd Bowles and his entire coaching staff. Good riddance.

2) Move heaven and Earth to get an experienced HC with a SB title to come here.

3) DUMP every single player that is overpaid and underperforming. Take your pick on who those players are. There are so many this season, you could probably make a case for any player except for Leonard Williams and maybe Quincy Enunwa?

If the 3 above things can be done during the offseason, I fully believe that watching a Jets game would be interesting and fun once again. The product would be so much better than it is right now. Right now it isn't even any fun to sit down and watch the game. MOST Jets fans are now hoping that the Jets lose all of their remaining games in an effort to get a top 5 pick. This just isn't any fun right now.

But like I said, if the 3 above things can be achieved that would instantly send this team in the direction of recovery..........

kevda5n9ne and tomdeb like this.
  4. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I don't think the O-line caused those issues-- I do think that sacks and QB hits add up over a season, and over a career. I also think that the fractions of a second of clean pocket created by having an All-Pro at a given line position instead of a JAG add up.

Pennington was sacked 1.82 times per game he played over his career.
    P. Manning was sacked 1.14 times per game.
    Marino 1.12

Favre 1.74 --and he was unarguably the most durable of all time.

kevda5n9ne and Red Menace like this.
  5. westiedog1

Agree about the fractions of a second making a difference, but disagree that those fractions are always created by good OL's. They can be created by a QB's sense of pocket awareness (the great ones seemed to have it) and knowing where get clear of a rush. Peyton Manning, not a quick man by any stretch, was a master of avoiding a rush. Those fractions could be created by a QB who's quick on his feet like Wilson. They could also be created by having a strong running game so the defense can't rush too many men. And there is also the QB's ability to exploit a D's weakness for which Brady is the master. If you try to take away his long passes requiring a 5-7 step drop, he'll kill you with a three step drop and short passing game. These are all things the great QB's do to buy those extra fractions despite the OL line. And by the way, when you see a number like 1.82 sacks per game, maybe the QB is holding onto the ball too long. An OL can't protect forever. I'm not saying a good o-line isn't helpful, I'm saying it's not the difference between a good offense and a poor one.

6. TwoHeadedMonster

You're not wrong. Obviously drafting the next Favre, Manning, Montana, Unitas, or Elway would make our offense better. My point is that, if we choose wisely, we can build a great offensive line in 3-5 years. Then we can be competitive while we play the QB lottery. If we just start throwing darts at QBs, we'll probably never get there. How many years does it set a team back to draft a Jeff George, Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf, JaMarcus Russell, Mark Sanchez, or Johnny Manziel? Especially once you account for the inevitable coaching and GM change that goes along with that QB failure. 6 years? 8 years? Longer?

Sanchez' run here, if nothing else, proved that even a bust QB can be successful behind a great line and a solid D. It's the same way the Steelers stayed competitive during the Tommy Maddox and Kordell Stewart eras. Build a killer O-line and a good defense and keep taking shots at QB. Don't waste picks or funds on WRs, TEs or even RBs until you find a QB. Once you do, load up the rest of your offense and let the D diminish as their contracts run out.

7. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

New QB, Fitz sucks
    New Coach, TB sucks
    New Owner, Woody sucks
    New Stadium in NY, Giants Stadium 2 sucks
    New uniforms, two tone green jerseys that don't match suck

8. EXPRESS2PENN

EXPRESS2PENN Member

Bring them back to NY.

9. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Never should have left

10. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

It was said multiple times in this thread. Build a monster OL. Elliot and Prescott are not THAT good. They are talented, but there is no way either of them are anywhere near close to this good with a Jets OL.

11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Lol

Lather Rinse Repeat with these threads

We are all on same page

Just a matter of time Mac gets wind how fans know more ,,,so how wrong can we be??

Jets69 likes this.
  12. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

Are you guys thinking an improvef oline would make Fitz a better passer? You put him in Dallas this season and their record is extremely different. He is a morale buster...there are throws in the playbook that cant be executed because of his weak arm. I truly believe that a strong oline is necessary but great teams are well balanced on both sides of the ball.

westiedog1 likes this.
  13. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

What color(s) would you choose? (This would make a good thread).

15. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

No it wouldnt

MoWilkBeast and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  16. TwoHeadedMonster

Truth.

Simply Green and White.

No more Green and White and some extra different green.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's a nice strategy in theory, but as you said it takes a lot more years to build up said offensive lines and defensive fronts, than it does to hedge your bet on a potential franchise quarterback.

Look at Seattle and their makeshift offensive line, or how the Steelers basically always piece together the other 3/5ths of their offensive line outside of mainstays in DeCastro and Pouncey. The Steelers have had pedestrian offensive lines for much of Big Ben's tenure and have not invested in it at all.

We do need to start taking a look at quarterbacks that have a winning pedigree though. I like Hack as a prospect, but he's a player that a team like the Patriots or Cowboys should've taken to sit for 3-4 years. We need to start taken winners. That's why I'm going to be furious if we take Kizer.

westiedog1 likes this.
  18. westiedog1

Didn't the Jets have 4 or 5 No. 1 picks playing on the offensive line at one point under Rex?

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

True enough, yes in 09 with Brick, Mangold, Woody & Faneca. I'm not against the idea of building up the offensive line as it's a great way to maintain a competitive roster while trying out young quarterbacks.

We're just behind the 8-ball. They should've been drafted offensive lineman high in 2011. 2012. 2013 to be ready to go get our quarterback this year or next year and adhere to that strategy.

Instead we have two young quarterbacks and only one or two young promising offensive lineman (if you want to call Carpenter/Winters 'promising'). Further proof that the construction of this roster is ass-backwards.

westiedog1 and Cman68 like this.
  20. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

New owner obviously