Bryce Petty Not The Future

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreenNYJ, Nov 24, 2016.

1. GangGreenNYJ

GangGreenNYJ Member

Ok guys sorry to start another BPetty thread but something is happening and it's too obvious. When Bowles announced Fitz will be the starter against the pats, I knew that Bryce Petty is just not going to ever get over the hump to starting caliber QB.

Let me explain; we drafted Petty in 2015 as a fourth round QB whom we were very excited about to see his potential in this league. We labeled him as a project QB coming out of a spread system in college, we sat him down on the bench his rookie year to "groom" him, and more than half way into year two (now) , he is still not progressed enough to even win a starting job over Ryan Fitpatrick who is statistically the worst QB in the league. This is worrying me deeply, the time its taking to adjust to the NFL game. Guys like dak Prescott is a 4th round rookie who is tearing up the league as we speak.

Then I think another huge clue was when the jets drafted Hack in the SECOND ROUND of the draft this year. My initial reaction when this happened was that Mac was sitting there on draft night thinking to himself "wow this petty kid has literally not progressed at all from last year. I can't go into this season with just petty as the backup and the future. Theres just no way I can do that at this time. We need another young QB to add competition" end quote.

That is why they drafted hack as early as they did. They new they saw nothing in petty as if he really had a chance to be the long term solution. Great kid and a serviceable backup but his time is ticking to start making some improvements and to make a name for himself in this league before he's dropped on the depth chart or cut.

Next man up. #Jetlife

2. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Petty isn't starting because Bowles refuses to admit he's made the wrong choice. He doesn't know shit about offense and has no idea what he's doing. Petty is clearly better than Fitzpatrick. He can do things like hit receivers in stride and throw a deep ball. Two critical things that Fitz can't do.

As for why we drafted Hackenberg in the 2nd round? We sure as hell didn't draft him for an immediate impact. He should have been a late rounder. He was drafted because the staff kind of liked him and after we didn't take Lynch in the first round, Jets fans went apeshit and were calling for Mac's head so he drafted a QB Round 2 like a wuss.

3. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm all ears...

4. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Something is surely happening...

Bowles is turning full blown retard.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Back up qb we like can't get a start =
    H.c. is an idiot.

Back up qb we don't like can't crack the starting line up= that guy must look awful in practice

wampa, MoWilkBeast, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

In most situations I don't think the second paragraph holds true, but considering the Jets have a retarded fan base that is currently mulling over a second billboard to fire the head coach in 3 years, the executives in this franchise might think they need to appease the fans.

Good job, Jets fans.

On Petty. I really don't think it's appropriate for anyone to say he can or cannot play in this league. We have one subpar game against a good defense with a handcuffed game plan to judge him on and everyone thinks they know whether he's a starting caliber NFL quarterback. Dak Prescott was 25/45 for 227 yards and no touchdowns or picks in a one point loss. The Cowboys weren't reactionary to it because the franchise is not run or coached by morons.

Seeing the young offensive lineman play decently should be a light bulb going off in Bowles' head to say hey. Maybe we should give young players a chance. I fully expect us to go back to Petty and the Fitz start is just because it's the Pats.

nycarl and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  7. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

And you can tell this from one game where they wouldn't let him throw the ball downfield and ran 3 consecutive times and punted on 4th and 12...oh ok

Jake likes this.
  8. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Petty MAYBE is not the answer.

Fitz DEFINITELY is not the answer.

QED, start Petty

MizzouJet and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  9. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

FTFY

10. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Bowles LOVES his veterans. I think because he is extremely risk averse and knows veterans are a safer bet to put out there on the field (while not necessarily better). It was also true that there WAS the chemistry behind Fitzpatrick last season, but that can't still be true anymore. Most coaches would say screw it, what worked for us last year is not working this year by now.

I don't think this should be held against Petty. He played no better than Fitz has been playing last week and because hes not Peyton Manning, it was held against him by Bowles and the fans. It simply isn't fair to hold Petty to such a high standard and give Fitz so many free passes all because he got us to a playoff-less 10 wins a season ago

11. barkus

barkus Well-Known Member

Toilet stated a little while ago that hack was catching up to petty and is progressing well. Maybe hack will get some starts at the end of the year instead of petty? I would not be stunned if this idiot starts fitzgarbage until 9th loss occurs.

12. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

OP doesn't know well enough not to start another Petty thread when at least 2 were on the front page when he started his thread, but we should by all means take his assessment seriously after he watched all of 34 passes thrown by Petty.

Might as well just cut Petty now.

13. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Sacrifice Petty to the football gods.

14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Jerricho Cotchery is not the future.

#Where_are_you_Herm?

15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

There are no basis for the OPs assertion. I say this for the following reasons.
    1- We don't know or have seen enough to assess if Petty has the goods or not. As is classic Jets he has not been given the opportunity and when he was put on the field, the game planning was disgusting.
    2- Our HC staff has zero credibility at this point regarding any QB assessment. Thus to say that Bryce must not be good enough otherwise the CS would play him means nothing. After all they are playing Fitz after several dismal performances aren't they?
    3- Under no circumstances we should compare Prescott performance behind the Dallas OL, their running game, their game planning and their overall quality of personnel and coaches with the Jets. Prescott with the Jets would not be the same player. Neither would Brady for that matter.
    4- Great organizations have a few things in common. They build thru the trenches. They place players in a position to win. They take chances when appropriate. They always, always, always play to win, and never play not to loose.
    The game last week with Petty was an example of the opposite. BB has no need to cheat anymore, we literally telecast the next play before it happens, and our conservatism knows no bounds,
    Sorry OP, the fact that Petty is not starting tells us nothing with our current CS.

16. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

The last time we were good was when we had a good O-line. We've been only addressing it by taking later round picks that don't pan out and retread free agents praying they come to form. Having a good O-line and running game takes LOADS off the QBs plate. We had Sanchez almost taking us to the Super Bowl as a rookie with the support he had around him. If no "can't miss" QB is available in the draft we need to get some book end Tackles.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sigh! Yet another "genius" who can't read or hasn't bothered to read the forum comes up with the same "brilliant" thesis regarding Petty that several other posters have that there's not one shred of evidence to suggest and plenty to suggest the contrary, and uses the same failed logic and reasoning. Jets fans. smh

18. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

1.5 years in. If he didn't get it yet, fuck him. He can swim or he can drown, either way works for me.

19. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

In fairness Petty has lost valuable time in the 6 weeks he was injured. If his shoulder is Ok, then he should be given another shot and play. In agreement with Vilma that I am too thinking the Jets are only going with Fitz vs Pats because he is the "best" option because of his success vs Pats last year.

While I don't think Petty is the future he should get some playing time because we need to build depth at QB partciulualry back up QBs

20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Wesley Walker is not the future..

#Where_are_you_PeteCarroll

ans: Seattle winning SB's.