Bryce Petty

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Dierking, Nov 13, 2016.

1. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

Yes, the part in red is the problem, but it isn't news.

This was known, and commented upon, when they were hired.

It's just that now we are reaping what has been sown.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I remembered debating the pros and cons of such an arrangement with another poster (Back to Queens), but remembered it as a hypothetical discussion. I had completely forgotten that this is what happened. In any case, it's proof that I was right, and not Back to Queens. What a clusterfuck this team is.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  3. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Forget about a red zone drive, this franchise can't even run a clean press conference. What a shitshow!

Jets69 likes this.
  4. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

It definitely isn't a good sign that on one of the most critical plays of the game he pump faked 3 times and then shovel passed the ball into the back of the line. He's really fortunate it didn't pop up for a pick or he would have had a really early Sanchez moment.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  5. Gunther

Gunther Member

6. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

It was a bad idea from the start, and it proves that Woody didn't learn anything from the Rex-Idzik debacle.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

One article that I read on his performance stated that he almost always went with his first read. This lends credence to the concern that he could not read the defense in TC and preseason. Obviously, that won't get it done, and it would be a great reason to run a dumbed down game plan for the guy.

Seems like he has the physical tools, he just has to process what he's seeing at the speed of the game. Easier said then done.

8. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

That's why they need to play him the rest of the year to assess "if" he can adjust to the game at the next level. Please though, no color coded wrist bands that make the entire league know we have a dummy at QB.

9. NCJetsfan

That may have been true in OTAs, but I don't believe it was the case in preseason. I saw him going through his progressions and making good decisions. Fitz is the one who makes one read prior to the snap and then throws it there regardless if the receiver is double or triple covered. There's no way Petty could be any worse than that POS Fitz.

SOJAZ likes this.
  10. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

Preseason. Where he faced backups.

11. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more... and some of these comments about Petty are ridiculous. When he was drafted they said two year project, he just played his 1st game and while he did ok... he was mature enough to know he could ahve done a lot better. Hopefully Bowles will play him the remainder of the year...

12. Greensleeves

Greensleeves Well-Known Member

What does that have to do with whether or not he went through all the progressions or not? I'm with Ray Lucas when he said it makes him so annoyed when people say it was against backups - they are all great football players trying to make an NFL team. Usually they are more intense in pre-season than the starters.

Freddy Mondo and TouchyFeely like this.
  13. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/11/did_bryce_petty_play_better_than_expected_vs_rams.html

I haven't watched game tape, and I won't, but I can't imagine they'd have a good reason to make that up. Fans need to manage their expectations a bit, but Petty isn't above criticism, regardless of who's riding the pine behind him.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

my my, such criticism for somebody starting their first game on one of the worst teams in the nfl..seriously, get over yourselves.

15. NCJetsfan

So? He was a backup facing backups and he excelled and he went through his progressions. It doesn't matter who it was against. The point is he was going through his progressions which refutes the claim of the author of that article.

16. NCJetsfan

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

that was a good article. I appreciate articles where they discuss on the field play like that, this is becoming a thing of the past.

That miss to Marshall was cringeworthy, that should've been a big gainer. It makes sense that Petty would struggle getting off his first read. At Baylor all he had to do was throw it to his first read. That offense is all run before the snap with the speedy no huddle and the trick formations, the QB just throws it to one reciever or checks down. That's why he was so comfortable throwing that deep one to Robby Anderson - - he saw prior to the snap that it was going to be a good read.

His future is certainly not hopeless, especially after one game, but that is a common problem with these spread QBs in the NFL. Petty has some work to do. He also threw a lot of check downs and I don't know if that was the call in the huddle of if he was making that decision on the field. I hope he plays more so we can find out

Jets81 likes this.
  18. Billsfan1212

Billsfan1212 Active Member

As a fan of a team who fans feel dont draft QB's enough, at least your team is putting guys in the pipeline and making an effort to find 'the guy'.
    Both our teams have been stuck in qb purgatory, with the occasional blip on the radar over the past 16 yrs indicating a decent yr ( flutie/bledsoe/tyrod - pennington/vinny/sanchez - and fitz could count for both).
    Both teams blew their 2013 qb rookie as EJ and Geno will be lucky to carve out a career as a backup once both are cast off following this year.
    The Jets however have 2 guys who could be good given time (even if patience for Petty has already grown thin)... where the Bills have Cardale as a project but Hack has gotta be closer than him.
    Its not much, dont get me wrong BUT- at least the Jets seem winning to cycle through guys to try and find that diamond in the rough where the Bills have seemed content dragging out bums and not restocking the cupboards.
    Something small to take solace in.
    FWIW, I was disappointed the Jets took Petty because I hoped the Bills would take a flyer on him. Then, figuring last draft was the time the Bills would finally try a qb in rds 1-3 I had my fingers crossed they took Hack as I liked the idea of developing a QB with some smarts. Then the jets swoop in again and you know the end of the story....
    LOL, it just made me sad the 2 guys I liked in the last 2 drafts went to a team where im stuck rooting against them!!!
    Disclaimer, they both could end up totally sucking for all I know... just 2 guys I enjoyed watching and felt were green ( no pun intended) but had a nice upside. Hack more so than Petty, but still...

19. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Obviously he's forgetting that Petty had backup OLs protecting him and backup receivers catching for him.

Selective memory is a beautiful thing after all. Somehow you feel like you possess this fault-proof logic that nobody else sees. You feel you are smarter than everyone else and wonder [How can these people be so stupid?]

#219 Zach, Nov 23, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. Jets88Fan

Jets88Fan New Member

Petty has a bright future. Fitz is the present, but Petty is our future.