Don't Look Now, but Devin Smith's Coming Back!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Quinnenthebeast, Oct 17, 2016.

1. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

What did the QB have to do at all with that fumble in the endzone against the Bills?!?!?

2. jsyankees12

jsyankees12 Member

So you had money on the Buffalo game I'm guessing and still haven't forgiven him? He had a bad fumble on a kickoff, but he's a rookie....that shit happens. Is Jalin Marshall forever in your doghouse? Because he fumbled a kickoff also against Buffalo that got returned for a TD. Also Devin Smith isn't a kick returner....never has been. Was foolish to put him back there in the first place

tomdeb likes this.
  3. HackettSuxTNG

No, "this shit" DOESN'T "just happen". That blunder displayed a lack of fundamental football knowledge. Under no circumstances should he have taken that ball out of the endzone, ESPECIALLY considering his lack of experience in taking kickoff returns (which you so kindly noted for me). That is something a POP-WARNER level player knows, nevermind someone who played NCAA and NFL level football. This is a lack of fundamental knowledge of the game.

He should have been cut that day. Period.

4. jsyankees12

jsyankees12 Member

Guys make mistakes and take kickoffs out of the endzone all the time when they should. Smith did that, he screwed up, he hasn't returned a kick since. Name another team that has cut a 2nd round pick weeks into his career because of a kickoff error

5. HackettSuxTNG

So you are saying that the Jets were better off for not cutting Kyle Wilson, DeWayne Robertson and Vernon Gholston after two weeks?

6. jsyankees12

jsyankees12 Member

Hindsight is always 20/20. Maybe you'll be able to add Devin Smith to that bust list like you want, but maybe he turns into a productive receiver for us and I can bump this thread in a few years to laugh. But seriously give the guy time, sorry he's not Beckham who can come in and be a great receiver from Day 1

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He'll get stronger, and he'll learn how to use his hands, quickness and speed and make DBs who try to jam him pay for it dearly.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think Smith boffed and stole Hackett's wife/girlfriend. I think there was a poster here last year that spoke about a Jets player wanting to date his girlfriend, and asking if he should let her.

9. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

ESPN reported that Decker has HIP surgery yesterday & the shoulder surgery is delayed until he is no longer on crutches. ESPN said that the hip surgery is at least 6 months recovery time :mad:

10. HackettSuxTNG

If he makes two catches in one game, feel free to bump this thread.

11. HackettSuxTNG

What have you seen from Smith thus far do you base this on?

12. But it's not about me. Nor will I make it. This is about a putrid football franchise that refuses to acknowledge or ever truly adjust the error of their ways. The collateral damage is mine & many others sanity.At some point prudence & logic go out the window. Nothing ever changes w. the team regardless of coach,front office,roster or owner. At some point you either have to cut bait as a fan(I've tried many times & am just too damn loyal) or develop a no tolerance attitude to their chronic shortcomings. I've reached that point.

I'm fully aware that all young players need time to develop. I'm just not sold on this guy. He never ran routes in college...is sloppy at the top of routes he DOES run,has virtually no catching radius & flat out doesn't get separation. If a guy can't separate & isn't a plus rebounder...how is he supposed to be a deep threat? He looked good in shorts, had a couple big time college performances & Bill Polian liked him...that's about the extent of his college profile.

Maybe he turns it around & ends up being productive..certainly plausible. But between the injury bug early on...and the facts I mentioned above...it's more likely he's on somebody's practice squad by year's end. Say what you will...but I actually liked Stephen Hill MORE than Devon Smith as a prospect. At least he had the unknown quantity of coming from a run heavy offense & rare physical measureables

13. HackettSuxTNG

Yeah, but did you see the skill in which he returns kickoffs?

14. ToddNoBowles

ToddNoBowles Member

So I'm assuming you have the same irrational feelings about Jaelin Marshall too? How much you lose on that Buffalo game last year?

15. HackettSuxTNG

I am focusing on the biggest deficiency on the team at this time, and his name is Devin Smith. Once he is gone, I will worry about the next one.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  16. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

Biggest deficiency? We're 1-5 and Smith hasn't played a snap. What season are you watching?

17. HackettSuxTNG

Let's look this another way: Three key players who are having horrific seasons thus far this year are Fitzpatrick, Revis, and Wilkerson. As awful a year as those three have had, they at least have performed well enough in the past to deserve the opportunity to be on the field this year.

Devin Smith on the other hand, does more harm than good every time he has ever stepped onto the field.

By far, he is the biggest liability on this roster.

18. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

This thread is just brutal to peruse without throwing up ones repast in the process. If it were a situation where the Jets had a caliber player like Andrew Luck calling the snaps and they were still 1-5, then , yeah, lets chop a few heads and push the panic button.

Having a starting QB last in the NFL in ratings, and first INT's, this is not rocket science. If the number 1 most important position on the field is playing like dog turd, is there any doubt what would be the most logical choice to act on first?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. ToddNoBowles

ToddNoBowles Member

Oh gotcha so you're not just completely irrational you're also stupid. Now I know.

20. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

It's Geno Smith's fault. /s