Absolute embarrassment

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by graig.323, Oct 9, 2016.

1. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

I am not an NBA fan but because there are not enough centers they put in the three pt. line and made it a more open game. It actually saved the league where mid-size guys who can shoot are the top players. The NFL is a mess with the rules favoring the QB too much.

AJW likes this.
  2. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

The rules I was referring to are the ones made in the 90's that ended up disallowing physical play, and its result the low score (ugly) game. The game changed from a team game with ball movement and actual scheming to a free for all pseudo dunk contest. The NFL is on its' way to the same sort of rule changes to remove physicality from the defensive side of the ball. I agree with the tackling rules to protect the players but they need to give defensive backs back the ability to hand fight.

hornblower likes this.
  3. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

I doubt anyone would take Mo with his contract and R is still on his rookie contract. I thought about Gailey as an interim HC and while I am not enamored with him we could fire Bowles which would send the message. Also, as long as Bowles is there Rogers will be because they go back a ways....

I would fire Bowles and tell the DC to change attitude, his approach and see what that brings. If the D still under performs fire his ass after two game... what the hell we have to lose? This team is so dysfunctional now that there seems to be only one choice to make to wake them the ***** up! One more troubling thought....if as one poster alluded it too, "HC lost the team," then we are in deep shit and it's time bro... I been watching this team 49 years and see it all... it's time....

AJW likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree, that probably no one would take Mo with his contract. If one is traded, it would probably be Richardson.

I'm probably all for firing Bowles at the end of the season, but not now. IMO that's the height of dysfunction. Gailey hasn't even been doing a good job with play calling or handling Fitz. How's he supposed to step in mid-season and get the team straightened out? If anyone can get the team back on track, it would be Bowles, not Gailey imo. Firing Bowles and then Rogers would be insane. The Jets would return to being a circus and the laughingstock of the league. The posters who said that no coach would want to come here would certainly be right at that point. Like it or not, we're stuck with Bowles until the end of the season.

At this point, the season's pretty much lost. I don't think it would matter what move they made, this team isn't making the playoffs. They might as well give Bowles a chance to straighten things out. If he does, great, he will have learned some valuable lessons, will improve, will earn a 3rd year, and could possibly grow into a decent HC. Based on what I've seen this year, in all probability he won't, and he most likely will have gotten the Jets into great draft position and it will be like tanking without tanking. The Jets will have a chance to get a stud QB and other topflight talent if Mac and the scouts do their jobs well. If he doesn't straighten things out and the team only wins 4-5 games (or less), there's a decent chance he could get fired, and Mac could get the opportunity to hire a new HC. With the talent we already have on hand, and with the opportunity to possibly get a stud rookie QB and some other top talent. The Jets HC job could suddenly look a lot more desirable to HC prospects.

AJW, tomdeb and HomeoftheJets like this.
  5. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

i agree with you but i will beat my usual drum that the jets HAVE To starting drafting on OL early and often.. Even if they get a top 5 pick, IMO they should move down and seriously upgrade that OL! we will beat nobody with dozier, winters, quale and Ben I. struggling to open holes. I'm all for moving sheldon for a draft pick. Bowles is misusing him at OLB they way rex misused coples.

LWC611 likes this.
  6. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Baseball is more about parity now that it has been in years. Otherwise you wouldn't have teams like KC winning the title. Or teams like Houston or Pittsburgh that are perennial peons, able to manage the playoffs in small markets. Baseball players make what they are worth. Which the NFL players don't....And baseball has a sense of economic proportion--which the NFL can never even conceive of. The only time I hear MLB compared to the NFL is when "hot take" jerks froth at the mouth and criticize it in every way possible. The only reason you don't hear about low baseball ratings right now is because the NFL's are tanking. And I Thank God for the change in focus!

#126 pdxdrew, Oct 10, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    AJW likes this.
  7. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

But other than that, we're good.

8. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

As a player he wasnt anything special

9. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

No, McCagnan did. Woody was hands off.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

LWC611 likes this.
  10. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

Arena football is what the NFL has morphed into. It sucks and has for a while.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

hornblower likes this.
  11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Right..the revisionist history around here is amazing. The only thing Woody did was keep Rex when Idzik was hired, he had nothing to do with Bowles and little to do with Maccagnan..that's why he hired casserley and wolfe to begin with. If he had his way this time too Ryan would probably still be the coach and our record now would be a lot better than 1-4.

AJW likes this.
  12. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

I haven't really paid "thoughtful" attention to baseball in years so my point of view is a bit dated.

13. NCJetsfan

No, he didn't. Mac was only here for one day before Bowles was hired. There's no way he could have interviewed and hired Bowles.

14. NCJetsfan

There's no "revisionist history" going on. Mac was hired on Jan. 13, Bowles on January 14. Mac wasn't here long enough to interview candidates and then hire Bowles.

15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

16. Don

Mac interviewed Bowles the entire day on the 14th, I thought I already posted that.

They mention here that he was hired after interviewing with maccagnan but there is another that says they spent the day together before the hiring.

http://nypost.com/2015/01/13/jets-reach-agreement-with-bowles-to-be-head-coach/

17. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

Denver won with defense and senile Manning/Osweiler last year (look how terrible Osweiler has been, almost as many int's as
    Fitz). I think that was the plan for the Jets: have an adequate offense and a great defense, but the defense has been bad.
    It will be interesting to see what happens. We are far from knowing how good or bad Bowles is.

Ron

18. NCJetsfan

OK, thanks. My bad. I didn't remember the details, and when I googled both of their hirings and looked at the articles, I didn't see anything about Mac interviewing Bowles, only that they were hired one day apart, and didn't think there was any way that Mac could have hired Bowles.

At any rate, Bowles was one of the top 2 coordinators who were "hot" HC candidates (along with Quinn of Seattle, now Atlanta), so his hiring made sense and looked like a good hire.

19. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I appreciate you posting that link, Don. I did get a laugh, though, when I reread the part wherein it stated "Bowles is known for being an aggressive coach." Aggressiveness MUST mean punting on 4th and 2 when down 11 points near midfield mid-4th quarter when your defense can't stop a thing!

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. Don

It did but if they waited one more week they could have had Quinn which everybody said was their first choice. In hindsight it was probably the right choice as well.