Bench the Beard

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by playtowinthegame, Oct 2, 2016.

1. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

For me, this is simple. You give Fitz the Steelers game. If we get another 2-4 pick performance, we make the switch. At 1-4, we would be in huge trouble, but technically not out of the wild card race. This would give Geno his last shot (maybe a 1 in 1,000 chance?) of coming in, living up to his potential with very little pressure on him, and starting a career for himself. If you wait until we are 1-6 or 1-7 before benching Fitz, then there is no point in bringing Geno in. Even if he plays well, you will have people who don't trust that he can could translate that success to next season. IMO, if Geno is coming in, he has to come in when the games still count.

NCJetsfan and PulseJet like this.
  2. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's as logical an explanation as I've seen or thought of. I don't think Bowles is stupid, but he does seem to be stubborn, or at least is not making changes for some reason. We just have to hope that either the players will get tired of Bowles getting pissed off (if he's even making them pay in any way), or that Bowles will eventually see that this approach isn't working and isn't going to, and makes whatever changes need to be made.

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

You think that pisses you off, wait until you see the Gif.

PROBS - Reddit:

[​IMG]

This POS literally looked that way and realized it was zone so he checked it to Q. Fitz can't go through progressions correctly and he sure as hell cannot identify a zone defense. He went away from the initial read so quick, you can see that when he turns his head in the direction of Q.

That is not a 12M dollar quarterback.

All Gas No Shake, FJF and abyzmul like this.
  5. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I'm not a Fitz fan by any means. I accept him for what he is. A very mediocre QB who with players around him can beat mediocre to bad teams but will always have a tough time against the better teams and especially against the top defenses.

Marshall had the second best season of his career last year with Fitz throwing him the ball. We had 2 1,000 yard receivers. You can do worse than Fitz. But I understand the complaints. He's not the answer. But we know that.

I'm not against going to another QB at some point. But only if Fitz plays bad the next 2 weeks and the Jets are 1-5 heading into the bye. I don't see any value in really going to Geno unless the Jets still think he could be their starter. If they don't then whats the point? The only realistic option is Petty. I personally wouldn't go to him though until the Jets reach loss number 7 or 8, but that's just me.

If the Jets still think Geno can play then I'm sure they'll consider him at some point. But first they are going to try and fix things.

FlaJet, HomeoftheJets, Jets69 and 3 others like this.
  6. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

If we lose to the Steelers then we absolutly have to beat the Ravens to have any chance of winning a WC tiebreak (and that assumes we go on a tear and the other hopefuls are Baltimore and Oakland!).

I could see the logic in giving Geno the Cards and Ravens game but if we lose that then whatever the maths says............it's Petty time.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

Maybe Geno's taking snaps with the 1's

8. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

Or maybe he's just saying, "Don't bother me."

9. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Tomlinson agrees:

Ex-Jets running back and current NFL Network analyst LaDainian Tomlinson has seen enough of Ryan Fitzpatrick.

The past two weeks, in losses to the Chiefs and Seahawks, Fitzpatrick has thrown six and three interceptions.

Tomlinson, after the Seattle game, said he believes it is time for the Jets to turn to backup quarterback Geno Smith, who mostly struggled as their starter from 2013-14, before taking a back seat to Fitzpatrick last season.

Tomlinson initially addressed how Jets wide receiver Brandon Marshall publicly and passionately backed Fitzpatrick.

"I get it, though, B," Tomlinson said. "I get it. You're a loyal guy. And that's your quarterback. But you know what? Honestly, it's time. Instead of J-E-T-S, you guys have got to start going G-E-N-O. That's right: It's time for Geno.

"You can't throw nine picks in two weeks and think you can keep your starting job. Meanwhile, Geno Smith beat you out two years ago, and he's still on the bench. Come on, man. Roll it. It's time to get Geno in there, because Ryan Fitz-tragic is taking over, and it's not good."

Actually, Fitzpatrick wasn't on the Jets' roster two years ago. It was last year that Fitzpatrick was set to be Smith's backup entering the season.

But then IK Enemkpali punched Smith in the face and broke his jaw, because of an unpaid debt. Fitzpatrick was pressed into starting, and he played well for the most part, so Smith didn't start any games in 2015.

The 2016 season is the final year of Smith's rookie contract. Fitzpatrick is playing on a one-year contract this season.

There's no question the Jets need to fix their offensive issues. The past two weeks, they have had 13 second half possession. The results: four punts, eight Fitzpatrick interceptions, and a fluke fumble recovery touchdown.

10. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

As much as I like Fitzpatrick as a leader and a positive locker room entity, he's quickly becoming negative. He's not even showing our young guys the right things to do on the field. Hackenberg, for all his mistakes during the preseason, could've played a better game than Fitzpatrick has the last two weeks. At least he can go through his progressions along with inaccurate balls. Geno can throw a deep ball and Petty looked as good if not better than Geno during preseason.

9 ints in two weeks, if that isn't a call to action for the coaching staff I don't know what is. Ignoring it is flat out insane. We were supposed to be a potential playoff team this year and that begins with winning the turnover battle. Obviously, the secondary needs to step up as well, but Fitzpatrick has been detrimental to us scoring points lately on top of our secondary getting torched.

Either our offense plays well and our defense shits the bed or vice versa, and that's on the coaches gameplans and coordination. It's their job to have these guys ready with a gameplan to take advantage of the other teams weaknesses.

Now is the time to make a change, we're down 2 games in the conference to likely wild card or division candidates. A loss to the Steelers, who played a hell of a game this past week, will add another to the list, and with two games versus a Brady-led Patriots coming up you can probably add one more conference loss to the list. Luckily Fitz showed up versus the Bills despite our lack of a secondary and we pulled out the W despite that. The Cinci and KC losses are REALLY going to hurt our playoff chances. Our upcoming non-division conference opponents besides the Steelers are the Ravens and Browns, two SHOULD wins if we can put up some semblance of secondary and QB play. Let me rephrase, should and must wins. Nearly every game is a must win from here on out. Besides that we have the Colts deep in the season, which I again think isn't an unwinnable game if we can defend some passes like we did last year. The time is now and it begins at the QB position because we will not win any games with 14 points per game and 3 ints every outting regardless of how well our defense holds up or down.

In his last two games, Geno has played fine, he's looked like he deserved to be in the NFL. Obviously he'll always make "Geno" mistakes, because that's who he is as a person, but lets not forget that Geno outplayed Fitz last preseason to win the starting job. I was all for Geno starting this year with Fitz holding out on a new contract. 4 games into the season and Fitz has clearly lost a step. I'd rather Petty or even Hack to go and play out there before Fitz right now. At least Hack has the arm to go over a defense and throws hard enough that an errant pass might bounce out of a DBs hands.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

through 4 games.. we aren't getting much more with Fitz than we had with Geno... in fact we're getting less. Geno is a decade younger with way more upside and a better arm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#291 JetLifeLo, Oct 4, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

I dunno, if Geno was clearly that much better, he'd have gotten the starting job back when his jaw healed up.

13. TouchyFeely

Fitz was winning games, we had a realistic shot to make the playoffs until the last game of the season. By midseason we split wins and losses and Fitzpatrick started playing like he never had before until he screwed the pooch in the last game. You don't take someone out while they're playing like that. That's why some people don't even want Romo to replace Dak Prescott when he's healthy.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Wow, there are a lot of short memories around here. I understand the frustration with Fitzpatrick, but I haven't seen anything that tells me Geno is going to do any better than what we've already seen from him. If the season tanks in the next few games, the Jets should move on from both Fitz and Geno. Let's see what Petty's got and if that isn't good, let's try Hackenberg. And please stop with the "they're not ready" line. There's a 3rd Rd QB in Seattle who won a SB and kicked the Jet's @ss last Sunday, a 7th Rd QB winning in Denver and a 4th Rd QB doing good things in Dallas this season.

Sam Hammer and BacktoQueens like this.
  15. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

you haven't seen it because he still hasn't gotten his chance to play with a respectable NFL offense.

16. TouchyFeely

If you don't play Geno we might as well have cut him. Geno will play before Petty, that is a fact.

17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with you but Petty IS NOT READY, because he is injured, not because he is not ready. Meantime we can not wait one more minute with Fitz at the helm.

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Geno was just fine last year vs Oakland. There's no way he could be as bad as Fitz has been the last two games.

I won't stop with the "he's not ready" line with Hack, because it's the truth. I'm sorry that you can't see it. You can't compare QBs. They have different issues, the teams and systems are different. You're much smarter than that!

19. Passepartout

Passepartout Active Member

Well if Fitzpatrick continues to play the way he has, either get Geno or Petty. But me thinks the former will play before the latter.

20. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Holy contrived stats, batman! Why not post their entire seasons? Oh, I see, that wouldn't fit the narrative. The first four games of this year vs the first four of 2013 is a valid comparison. LOL.

People seem to forget that the season still has 12 more games left. A lot can change in that time. The Jets have a rough schedule to start the year, it would be ridiculous and reactionary to switch to Geno when the season can still be salvaged. Fitz is the best QB on the team, you gotta play him. This upcoming game against the Steelers could help get things on the right track.

#300 Sam Hammer, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016