Bench the Beard

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by playtowinthegame, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

The body language I saw this week both on the bench and on the field seems to say they are on the verge of quitting. If this week is as bad as most people think the season may only go down hill from here.

hornblower likes this.
  2. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

He's still got an extra 600 dollars burning
    a hole in his pocket.

#262 Will-I-Am-Not, Oct 4, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    FlaJet likes this.
  3. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

He's done it from the git-go...and he did it last year too.....no reason to believe he's gonna change now. A leopard can't change it's spots. People waited for 4 years for Sanchez to stop doing the same, exact, shit. Never happened with him, ain't gonna with Fitz either. That said, this funk ain't all on Fitz....not by a l-o-n-g shot. He's contributed his share for sure, but there are plenty of contributors to this shit. Penalties, turnovers (other than interceptions), dropped balls, bust plays on D, shit game plans, mind boggling play calls at times, it goes on and on. To me, it screams coaching.

4. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

Good observation about the body language on the bench. It's like they sense there's no answer within reach to the QB situation.

hornblower likes this.
  5. LarryAlRalph

That's an interesting thought. This entire situation is the result of IK Enemkpali clocking Geno last year, in the second of a couple of altercations. If there was some bad blood, shouldn't the coaching staff have been on that before it got to the second pissing match? Maybe there's a deeper problem in Jet Town?

6. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Anderson is a receiver who gets paid to play also. Not every pass is going to be perfect. He should have caught that ball.

7. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

If Tom Brady throws 9 picks in two games you stick with him, if Ryan Fitzpatrick throws 9 picks in two games, and most coming while the game was close and the Jets were looking to pull within range, I mean every single one seemed to kill a comeback drive... you sit him the F down...

Sorry he held out like he was a big shot and he has nearly single-handedly destroyed this season with the horrible losses he spearheaded. Does our secondary stink, yes, do we have other issues, of course. But when your QB is turning the ball over like Fitz has been, you simply can't win games, he gives you no shot at a win.

If Fitzpatrick is behind center against the Steelers, Bowles judgment needs to be seriously questioned.

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

You are right. But as rookie, he comes to play a hell of a lot better prepared than Fitz. Fitz is simply dreadful, even his completed passes are forcing the receivers to miss huge YAC opportunities. He has no arm strength to lead receivers, he is the worst nightmare for a great WR. Yeh, he should have caught that, even though fully extended the ball was a the end of his fingertips. Apparently we expect a lot more from a rookie WR than a so called veteran QB.
    If we want to start winning Fitz needs to go.....now.

9. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

It's not like your benching Joe Montana, he's a nothing and deserves to sit

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree with everything you said. The thing is, even with the bad coaching and other stupid crap, they'd at least have a chance to win if their QB wasn't missing throws short, throwing into double and triple coverage and throwing so many picks. I think that Bowles, Rodgers and Gailey are more to blame than Fitz, but I doubt that any of the coaches will get fired during the season. Gailey's play calling and game plans have been mostly bad so far, and he sure isn't helping Fitz, but I have to hold out some hope that along with Kevin Patullo (the QB coach), he can help get Petty and Hack ready to play at a high level, and I think that either would thrive in Gailey's offense. Hopefully, Bowles can point out Gailey's predictability and bad play calling and game plans. I have to think, however, that a QB that can complete long passes will help the offense tremendously. Opposing Ds won't be able to stack 8 men in the box, and that will open up the underneath routes and help the rushing attack. It still may not be enough to make us a consistent winner because the OL talent on the right side may simply not be good enough to be consistently successful in winning their matchups/assignments.

Rodgers, Joe Danna (DB coach), Daylon McCutcheon (Assistant CB coach), Tim Atkins (Defensive Quality Control), Mike Caldwell (Asst. HC and Inside LB coach), Mark Collins (OLB coach), and/or Bowles OTOH, don't get any slack for the Defense's sorry play. They have one of the best DLs in the game and can't get off the field on 3rd downs, especially 3rd and long. Their secondary has been awful. The LBs haven't been much better. Mauldin either hasn't progressed or has regressed, Jenkins has been hurt, Harris seems to be on his last legs, Carter has only seen the field on STs I think, Lee is a rookie and learning, and Catapano and the rest aren't generating much, if any, pressure on opposing QBs or covering TEs.

Bowles was a DB and defense is his specialty, and so far, he's got nothing in terms of fixing the problems there. The excuse that he doesn't have a shut down corner doesn't wash, either, because you give about any DC a shut down corner and his defense will do well. The mark of a truly good DC is that he can hide his defense's shortcomings, flaws, injuries with scheme. Bowles did it with the Cardinals 2 years ago when so many starters went down with injuries, but so far this year, not here. Were the Cardinal backups that much better than ours, or were they better coached somehow than the players here? He can't play for the players, however, and when they're out there making mental errors, blowing assignments, free-lancing and playing undisciplined football then there's a problem. If he's going to succeed as a HC, he has to learn how to get the DBs focused and playing mistake free football.

11. LarryAlRalph

And who do you propose to put in his place? Geno? AYK? Geno has proven he's not up to the task, so if you put him in and he gets shelled like Pittsburgh is preparing to do to him, then what? Petty the second year guy? Fitzpatrick back in? Hackenberg the rookie?

I actually think staying with Fitz is the least unpalatable of the alternatives. Seriously, Decker is out for the foreseeable future, there is no tight end that I can see, and Forte may also be injured. You want to send Geno - or worse - out with that? Maybe we can get Tebow back and run single wing? :eek:

#271 LarryAlRalph, Oct 4, 2016
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think you start Fitz at Pittsburgh, but give Geno a significant chunk of snaps in practice this week and make sure that he's ready to play. If Fitz starts out the same as in previous weeks, you sit him for at least a series or two in the 2nd Qtr. or at least immediately after half time to see if Geno can give the team a spark and to keep the game from getting out of hand. If Geno plays well, you stick with him the rest of the game. If not, then you put Fitz back in. Bowles could say that he was just trying to take some of the pressure off of Fitz and see if Geno could give the team a spark. It wouldn't be the first time that kind of thing has happened in the NFL when a QB is in a funk not playing well. Also, as several others have pointed out, Fitz isn't Brady, Rodgers or any other topflight QB. He's a JAG whose history is full of lousy play, TOs, underthrowing receivers, and spotty or inconsistent play. He deserves no special "star" treatment. On top of this, while he was holding out for more money, he admittedly was doing nothing to stay in shape either mentally or physically. IMO he doesn't deserve the respect he's been getting from the CS, players or fans.

13. LarryAlRalph

I don't disagree with anything there, especially in your assessment of the "State of Fitzpatrick." It's also quite possible that with a defense that hasn't stopped anyone yet, he's being asked to do more than he can do. It's also possible that after 2015, we've seen his best football and he's not going to improve on that. Accordingly, maybe the offensive scheme needs to be adjusted to one in which he makes fewer decisions.

#273 LarryAlRalph, Oct 4, 2016
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

I already know what Fitzpatrick is and what he'll give us, he's just not talented enough. We had a joke of a schedule last year and a lot of his flaws were hidden. Against solid talent the guys is a complete mess. Even in his "career year" last year he was at best middling but most likely in the bottom 20% of the league in almost every statistical category.

Why not Geno or Petty? Who cares at this point, they can't really be worse than Fitzpatrick at this point. See what you have in those two, if they can't get it done maybe we're drafting top 4.

Geno has proven he's not up to the task with Chaz Schillens as his #1 receiver. I wouldn't mind seeing what he could do with a more talented receiving corps.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  15. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

It seems they will stick with Fitz for the time being. They were hoping to be 3 and 3 after the first six. The Cinci. game was a killer. I guess they had no plan B if it went poorly. This will be the last week for this QB if he plays badly. I don't think they want to try a new player in what may be a real tough game to compete and on the road.

16. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

I get the impression from Bowles' pressers that he thinks he has the talent in this defense necessary to make it work, but they aren't playing up to their ability and/or aren't playing consistently at that level. He seems more inclined to get increasingly pissed off, and keep the onus squarely on making them play to his expectations of their potential than to make adjustments to his system. Maybe I am misreading him, but that's what it seems is his mindset to me.

RexontheBeach and hornblower like this.
  17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Your comments are music to my ears. Many rather go back to Geno's performance two years ago to justify why Fitz deserves another chance. Laughable BS. It's all immaterial anyhow, when Petty gets healthy he will be given a chance, and we will never look back on Fitz. I'll take 9 more interceptions from a rookie with potential and see what he really has to offer than continue down this rat hole with a QB that is limiting the offense potential and makes game planning against us a breeze. Of course I'll go out on a limb and bet Brady never had 9 picks in two games in his entire life, if fact I don't think he knows the term " a losing season"

18. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

wow. that's brutal.......

NCJetsfan and matt robinson 17 like this.
  20. jetsfan32

jetsfan32 Member

Geno might have been sending a signal with his Tweet this morning. Maybe he was told on his day off that he will be getting first team reps tomorrow. This would be the perfect scenario working Geno in on the road with a hostile loyal crowd. No different than what he experiences at MetLife:).

Kidding aside, I'm a huge fan of getting Geno into this offense. I was torn watching WR 11 beat the defender deep only to have no arm to get him the ball. There are only so many underneath routes and back shoulder throws you can make in a game.

Put somebody in there that can get some velocity on the ball and doesn't have to jump into it to get it done damn it!.