Bench the Beard

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by playtowinthegame, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Hayden

Hayden Active Member

Regarding benching Fitz did anybody else catch Brandon Marshall's post game interview?
    He said and I quote:

"I'm going down in a ship with Ryan Fitzpatrick"

That to me speaks volumes about who we'll see at QB going forward

2. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

If B Marshall wants to go down on the ship with Fitz thats fine. That ship will capsize next week when Pitt puts 50 points up and he throws another 3 interceptions. I found those comments to be incredibly concerning. You cannot hitch your wagon to one guy because you guys are buddy buddy. You play hard no matter who's under center. The blind love for Fitz is divisive and what kind of message does that send Geno? How about Decker who skipped a week of OTA's to protest the fact that the front office didn't sign fitz. What happened to playing for the team who signs your checks rather than playing for someone who you're friends with?

Geno cannot be worse than Fitz, and if he is, can we at least see that transpire? I think Fitz will start against Pitt and will subsequently benched thereafter

Red Menace likes this.
  3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

What's he going to do, sit out if Bowles makes a change? That comment doesn't tell us shut about what the coaching staff will do. Or are you saying Brandon Marshall makes the QB decision on the Jets.

4. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Marshall is just sticking up for his buddy

If Geno comes in I'm sure he will play his ass off...if not he can fuck right off too. Don't have time or the patience for the BS he's done in the past with QBs

5. Hayden

Hayden Active Member

Well no, and at this point I wouldn't mind seeing Geno either, but in saying that the guy under centre has to have the respect of the team also, we'll see similar results if you put Geno in and you have guys on the team that don't want to play for him.

6. BuzzKillington

When you say "Bench the Beard", I assume you mean Darrelle Revis.

Those of us old enough to seen Mel Blount, Deion Sanders and Champ Bailey know that Revis isn't even in the same stratosphere as them.

So, I agree. Bench the Beard.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  7. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Marshall is not the CS, who cares what that big mouth says....keep your mouth shut and hold onto the ball

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Marshall doesn't run this team. He already went down in a ship with Jay Cutler anyway.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  9. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

I agree that playing Fitz looks more and more pointless each week. If we drop to 1-4, as expected after Steelers game, I do not see how Bowles can justify sticking with him. Right now, Fitz is being afforded the respect of a multiple SB winner, respect he has not earned and does not deserve. He held out for more money on basis that he would provide at least league average QB play. Through 4 weeks, he has been the worst QB in the NFL by almost any objective measure. Couple that with our bizarre and borderline crazy pick of Hackenberg in the second round while guys like Prescott were on the board, and things are about to get better ugly for Mac with respect to the most important position in football. Over the past 7 years, other than the Browns, has any NFL team managed the QB position worse than us? Honest question.

10. matt robinson 17

Shut the fuck up and play football

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. matt robinson 17

I agree we aren't benching Joe Montana we are benching a journeyman scrub QB

JetBlue and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I hear you, and the fan base may gripe, but let them. Woody shouldn't worry about what the fan base thinks. He needs to think about winning. Since Weeb, we've had exactly two experienced HCs, Kotite and Parcells, and if I'm not mistaken, the rest have been first-time HCs and look at the legacy those rookie HCs left. Kotite was a terrible decision/hire, period. When something isn't working, it's time to try things differently. I don't need to remind you about the definition of insanity. If Bowles does indeed wind up getting fired, then we have to hope that there will be a former HC available who had some success, and who learned from his failures, and that Woody will be smart enough to allow Mac to make the decision.

Of course I would prefer a former NFL HC over a collegiate HC, but at this point, I just want someone who knows how to be a HC, has been successful/a winner, is capable of making adjustments on the fly, and knows how to motivate/inspire his players. Hopefully, he was also an offensive coach before becoming a HC.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

No, it isn't silly and your statement that one cannot evaluate a HC until his team gets a top QB is absurd and totally ridiculous. There are no guarantees that we can get a plus guy at QB. What are we supposed to do, stick with a HC who has no answers for the problems in an area that is his specialty, can't make adjustments, can manage the game clock, and who can't prepare or motivate his players, and be a perpetual loser? Parcells won with Vinny freaking Testaverde and Ray Lucas at QB. Other HCs win with mediocre QBs. There is no excuse for week in and week out the team looking unprepared, playing flat, the other team wanting it more, and the team beating itself with TOs, sorry execution, poor tackling, and the HC makes no changes in scheme or personnel.

14. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Don't agree. Players win games not coaches. No matter who is the coach you do not win in the modern NFL without a top QB. You will have to wait as will I.

15. NCJetsfan

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I think your statement, "Players win games not coaches." is nonsense. Bellicheat won with Matt freaking Cassell as QB. Parcell won with Ray Lucas and Vinny Testaverde. Lots of good coaches win with meh QBs because their teams play disciplined, tough, smart football. They are prepared each and every week. They don't beat themselves with TOs, dumb penalties and mental errors. They execute. They are tough-minded and expect to win.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  16. matt robinson 17

NCJ I agree with you except for the part of lumping Lucas and Vinny together, Vinny was lights out in '98, lucas was a special teamer

17. Hectorfor3

Hectorfor3 Well-Known Member

Please, not Geno!...Look, he would be an even worse disaster than Fitz is right now but at least Fitz has shown he can actually play sometimes. Geno has never done anything in a meaningful Jets game that I can recall. If Petty isn't available to start then the Jets are just wasting time by playing Geno as that ship has sailed and sunk.

The case can be made that Petty should play if able and if the circumstances warrant it (season and playoffs out of reach) because at least he may have a future. Honestly, it's sad that there is a thread asking to bench the QB that the organization had to have after a prolonged holdout and were basically bidding against no other team to get.

This situation is a total indictment of our backup QB and the status of the QB position if there ever was one.

18. NCJetsfan

I wasn't comparing the two in terms of talent or ability. Vinny was the far more talented player and was lights out in '98, but wasn't for most of his career. Parcells either put the fear of God in Vinny or knew how to press the right buttons to get Vinny to play his best. Lucas wasn't nearly as talented, but Parcells got him playing well enough for the Jets to do very well in '99 once Lucas started.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  19. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

I respect your opinion but top coaches have lost many times because they do not have a top QB. The game unfortunately has gotten too quarterback friendly and the NFL to predictable. Without a top QB I would like to see a coach innovate but they are all so conservative and reluctant to try something new.

20. I totally agree with you. Certain teams both college & pro simply MUST have a reputable proven commodity w. some respect & name recognition to be at their best.I agree the Jets fall into that category.I think there's enough evidence to support that.I just question Woody, the media & this fan base's ability to look past the "prior convictions" to get somebody in here w. a vibrant mix of fire,maturity & know-how.

Cman68 likes this.