Resigning Fitzpatrick was a major mistake

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Greenday4537, Sep 11, 2016.

1. DefenseWinsChampionships

You're wrong.

They drafted Pennington to develop behind a veteran Vinny, as they've done with Petty to develop behind Fitzpatrick

If Chad was drafted to "instantly take over" we would've never allowed Vinny to play as a Jet until he were 40 years old & still playing/starting 4 years after drafting Chad Pennington.

The only reason why Chad was given an opportunity to start during his 3rd year (4 games in) was because Vinny got injured during week 3 of Pennington's 3rd season.
    For a matter of fact, Vinny returned from injury the following year and (also) started the first 7 games of the 2003 season (during Chad's 4th year in the league).

So technically Chad Pennington didn't even become an actual starter until the 8th game into his 4th year in the league.

And we did draft another QB to compete with Chad. 2003, Brooks Bollinger, 6th round.

If you're going to say Brady was drafted to replace Bledsoe as a late rounder (in order to fit your agenda) then you can't possibly state that Bollinger wasn't drafted to compete against Chad, as a late rounder. That's hypocritical.

To sit here and act as if Petty wasn't drafted to develop behind a veteran before starting, just as Pennington was drafted to develop for 3/4 years before starting behind a veteran; just goes to show that you aren't aware of what developing a QB consists of.

In closing Christian Hackenberg is only 21 years of age. Extremely young. He's a good (like Chad) 3-4 years from having a chance to start. Bryce Petty was drafted during the 4th round and will (without question) be given an opportunity to start before that of Hackenberg; who's way too raw. Possibly as soon as next year.

#421 DefenseWinsChampionships, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

WTH are you talking about, do you even read posts? What i said was Chad was drafted as the future (1st round pick) and we didn't draft another QB a year later. Chad was clearly our future when vinny retired. That was the plan. Huge difference in taking petty in the 4th, then drafting another QB in the 2nd round the following year. 6th round QBs aren't drafted to compete and take over. 95% of the time if you are drafting your "franchise" QB it's in the 1st 2 rounds. Qbs taken later are usually more of crapshoots that maybe they can pan out and start or be good backups.

Both petty and hack were obviously drafted to sit and learn, that's why we have fitz and geno still. Same like LA is doing with Goff, meanwhile philly/TB/Tenn all did the opposite. I prefer letting them sit and learn, But the fact we drafted a QB in the 2nd after taking petty in the 4th shows the franchise doesn't believe in petty to be our starter. Same way it doesn't believe in Geno and he is likely gone after this year, But they still trusted geno over petty

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Like two of the three INTs Fitz threw in the last game of 2015?

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

My problem with Fitz has always been that he thinks like Favre and throws like Pennington.

In critical situations like that game, I don't ever want to see him throwing out routes in tight coverage, he doesn't have the arm.

No Fly Zone and HomeoftheJets like this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

good thing we have big WRs who go up and get the ball then ;)

6. cval

cval Well-Known Member

No, you are just dismissing him before giving him a chance.

7. abyzmul

That worked out well in week 1.

Jetsfansince95 likes this.
  8. BuzzKillington

Geno could have 20 foot tall receivers. He'd still fuck it up.

9. DefenseWinsChampionships

Houston Texans giving Brock Osweiler a $72 Million dollar contract (37M guaranteed 1st two years) was a major mistake.

Maccagnan bringing Ryan Fitzpatrick back for $12 Million (could earn an additional 3M) was a bargain.

LAJet likes this.
  10. abyzmul

Was it a bargain if the Jets miss the playoffs?

Please give me your ultra-homer spin on that without naming half the roster.

FJF likes this.
  11. DefenseWinsChampionships

Why would you already be talking about (potentially) missing the playoffs when we're only two games into the season while Fitzpatrick's coming off an AFC Offensive Player of the Week performance?

Now it's my turn to ask you a few question.

Would you have wanted Maccagnan to give Brock Osweiler a $72M contract or would you have rather resigned Fitzpatrick on a 1 year deal worth $12M?

Or better yet which offseason route would you have taken as Jets G.M?

At least with Ryan Fitzpatrick our team has a fighting chance to compete while veteran leaders within our locker room clearly wanted Fitzpatrick to return as their starting QB.

During Fitzpatrick's previous 8 games he's combined for (below):

190/309 (61.4%), 2,269 passing yards (283 yards per game), 18 TD's/5 INT's (3.6 TD to INT Ratio) along with a QB Rating of 96.0. He's also rushed for an additional 140 yards (4.5 yards per scramble).

I'd say that returning Fitzpatrick on a 1 year deal was as absolute bargain for the Jets of 2016.

Would you disagree?

12. DefenseWinsChampionships

I'm also not sure why you're throwing the term "ultra-homer" within my direction.

For an example, just take a look at my user name of 'DefenseWinsChampionships".

Just because lots of Jet fans such as myself have talked up our defensive ability over the years (been one of the very best) doesn't make us out to be some type of hopeful homers. If anything we've been realists (spot on) by having an understanding that our defensive unit has been the only unit that could truly keep us competitive.

Knowledge and insight come to mind. It's simply called/considered having a pulse regarding your favorite team.

With that said throughout the entire offseason I've yet to post as a "homer" while discussing the offensive side of the ball either.

You may not like it but once again - all I've done (as a poster) was add insight & knowledge when discussing our offense and it's overall ability/potential. Hindsight is always 20/20 but what I've done was called it how I've seen it (which I'll continue to do so, if you don't mind).

I'll admit that heading in, i did predict for a top 5 offensive attack duo to the playmakers surrounding our QB position (something I've never done regarding a Jets offense).

I did create an offseason thread comparing our trio of Marshall, Decker & Forte as being one of (if not) the most dynamic offensive trio's within the league.

I also voiced my opinion while going on record by stating that Fitzpatrick, Marshall, Decker & Forte were on the verge of becoming our most talented offense in which we've featured/witnessed since dating back to 1998 with Vinny, Keyshawn, Chrebet and Martin under Bill Parcells.

I spoke about Fitzpatrick being a very good QB for us if only he were to improve both his completion percentage and average yards per pass attempt in order to improve his overall efficiency. I predicted that he'd have a much better Efficiency & QB Rating (just) due to having another year of experience under Gailey along with more team chemistry, player continuity, offensive cohesion & overall player familiarity.

Where did I go wrong during the offseason regarding our offense?

▪It's only week 3 and they already rank 4th in total offense and 6th in points scored.

▪The trio of Marshall, Decker & Forte have combined for 560 yards from scrimmage & 5 TD's.

▪Fitzpatrick has greatly improved his completion percentage, average yards per pass attempt, efficiency rating & has a QB Rating of 96.5.

Is this where as a fan you become an apologist for seeing it through with your mind before it actually happened on the field, rather than taking a hindsight is always 20/20 type of approach to the season? If so; I'm sorry.

#432 DefenseWinsChampionships, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Of course not, but you are ready to crown him a backup for the rest of his career because of...what?

14. abyzmul

Actually, you're the biggest homer on the forum and it's obvious to everyone but you.

Also, you typed 15 paragraphs and somehow managed not to answer the question.

NotSatoshiNakamoto likes this.
  15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

You actually read it?

16. abyzmul

Only to see if he answered my question. I usually never make it more than a sentence or two before I laugh and scroll past his crap.

17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The knock on Fitz is thatvye does throw the deep ball. When was the last time the patriots threw a pass longer that 10 yards?

It amazes me that edelman gets free releases off ths line. Watching a game like last night and the basic way the Pats played with success if the fix was not in.

18. GasedAndConfused

Clarification, The jets are dismissing him, not me

19. GasedAndConfused

yes it did. we lost cause a blocked FG, missed XP, and allowing AJ green to get almost 200 yards. And we still only lost by 1

20. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Ole noodle arm choking again. Because this is who Fitzpatrick is. He's a mediocre, limp armed, idiot, choke artist.