Resigning Fitzpatrick was a major mistake

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Greenday4537, Sep 11, 2016.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

If Ryan Fitzpatrick keeps playing like he did in Buffalo last week, the Jets will likely make ANOTHER major mistake and re-sign Fitz again this offseason!

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Even with Williams being the BPA or best player in the draft, the Jets had two excellent young DEs who were already among the league's best. Mac didn't have to take Williams. He could have said, I already have two great players at that position and don't need a 3rd. He could have opted to take another player, or trade down and garner an additional pick or picks. It's totally apt and relevant to the discussion.

We'll just have to agree to disagree, because I think on each and every one of your points, your thinking is backwards and it's futile to continue the discussion.

Your second paragraph is totally absurd. NONE of those teams knew or thought that the QB they took was definitely going to be the answer, and they didn't stake their franchises on it at the time they drafted him.

3. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

You keep drafting QBs until you find one that sticks. Drafting Hackenberg isn't an indictment on Petty, it just means that the organization will do their diligence until they find an answer. Petty is still developing, you haven't seen enough to make a call either way so you arent going to place all of your hopes onto just him.

The Redskins selected RGIII and Kirk Cousins in the same draft, I guess that means they gave up on RGIII over that weekend? Ended up working out for them that they didn't pin all of their hopes on Griffin. You have to increase the talent pool as much as possible and hope someone rises to the top.

If Petty and Hack both prove to possess starter ability then you deal one of them for future draft picks. That's a good investment. If they both fail then at least you tried. Obviously Maccagnan will be out of here if he fails to find a long term solution at QB but sitting on your hands isn't going to get that accomplished.

4. DefenseWinsChampionships

Well said.

The Jets have needed a Franchise Quarterback since forever. Pennington was our last hope and would've been an elite QB if not for arm limitation due to multiple shoulder surgeries to his throwing arm.

When we drafted Pennington 16 years ago we had a 37 year old Vinny at Quarterback. It wasn't until Chad's 3rd year where he got an opportunity to start.

It's called development and some fans are extremely clueless of what developing a quarterback consists of.

Part of the reason why both Sanchez and Geno failed was due to being thrown into the fire too soon with a lack of offensive weapons at skilled player positions. Fans should be thrilled this isn't (currently) happening to either of Petty or Hackenberg, but unfortunately they aren't.

By the time Vinny became a Jet he was already 35 years of age. Fitzpatrick turns 34 this year.

Vinny was the perfect stop gap veteran QB needed in order for one of Ray Lucas or Chad Pennington to have a chance of developing into a Franchise caliber QB just as Fitzpatrick is the perfect stop gap veteran QB needed in order for one of either Petty or Hackenberg to emerge and develop into the same.

Just as N.Y did with Pennington, N.E's doing with Garappolo and Green Bay did with Rodgers behind Favre etc. Dallas is doing the same with Romo & Prescott and once Romo returns Prescott then goes back to the bench in order to develop from the outside looking in.

Some fans just don't get it.

Cman68 likes this.
  5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'm gonna do my bestest Capt. Obvious imitation and state without any doubt that patience is in short supply in Jet Land. Kinda reflects in all the shade thrown at Bowles/Mac/Petty etc. People want immediate ROI but that's not how the real world works. Not even in Kraft's kingdom. Everything substantial takes time be it a pyramid or a football dynasty. It simply does not happen overnight.

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

If he keeps playing like that we'll be playing in January.

7. DefenseWinsChampionships

8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Right. They're all geniuses up there. They knew they could let Brady sit until the sixth round and pick up a sure Hall of Famer. No wonder they were so high on him.

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If Fitz can avoid doing things like he did at the end of the Bengals game and the Oline can continue playing above their heads, we'll be playing in January.

Both are longshots and both happening simultaneously are very unlikely, but definitely not impossible.

10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

you draft based on the board. If you know he will be there late in the draft, why reach? I mean if you look back now, and brady wa staken 1st overall they would have laughed then, but now it would have been totally worth it. There was 6 Qbs taken before him and and 12 QBs taken overall, him, chad, and bulger were the only one's to have decent careers. Yeah maybe NE just got lucky with it, But the point was people thinking petty is our future are just plain wrong. Jets fans always over rate out backup QBs and under rate all our other players. I just don't get it

11. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I'm not sure the o-line is even playing as well as it seems. I think Fitz may just be doing a good job of protecting them like he did last year.

It's hard to give up pressure that fast

101GangGreen101 and phubbadaman like this.
  12. DefenseWinsChampionships

How many years has Bryce Petty been in the league? Two.

How many years was Chad Pennington in the league before getting an opportunity to start under Vinny? Not until his 3rd season.

Exactly.

It's called development from the outside looking in.

I've said it once and I'll say it again, the main reasons why both Sanchez & Geno failed were because they were rushing into being starters too soon and both had a lack of overall offensive pass catching weapons surrounding the QB position.

Bryce Petty just had one of the top 3 QB showings throughout the preseason and if not for Petty utilizing the likes of Jalin, Peake and Anderson none of those kids would've made the roster as two undrafted & one 7th rounder.

Petty is developing under Fitzpatrick as a 2nd year QB the same way Pennington was developing under Vinny as a 2nd year QB. And without multiple injuries to Pennington, we would've then developed a franchise QB and potential H.O.F QB.

PulseJet likes this.
  13. cval

cval Well-Known Member

f****ing Pennigton

14. GasedAndConfused

again big difference. vinny was in his late 30s, chad was drafted as the franchise to take over, and we didn't draft another QB to replace or challenge chad. Hack was drafted in the 2nd round to be our future, the moment that happened, petty was basically shown that he lost his opportunity. This is a case I wouldn't mind being wrong, I'd love it if somehow petty started for us and played like a pro bowl player , but it's not gonna happen

15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I have a hard time faulting QBs for bad throw in desperate situations like the one we were in at the end of the Bengals game.

HomeoftheJets and PulseJet like this.
  16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

You can believe that if you like but it is not fact. The fact is Petty got a lot of snaps this preseason (not hack) and was retained on the active roster.

What it says they have doubts about Petty and liked Hack's potential, but based on everything else that has happened since draft day it looks like Petty will get a chance. I agree with you all else even Hack is the guy.

Think Brees and Rivers Chargers had doubts about Brees drafted Rivers. Brees play lights out. If Petty plays lights out he will be the man Hack was not a top 5 pick he was second rounder.

17. GasedAndConfused

there was a difference with that, brees started in his 2nd year and was given 3 seasons in san diego as the starter before they drafted rivers. It's the only time I can think of in NFL history where 2 pro bowl QBs were drafted by the same team within a few years of each other, but still brees had 3 years starting before they drafted rivers. Petty isn't getting that opportunity

18. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Lucky for Petty, Geno is gone after thus year, Hackenberg looks awful, and Fitz isn't a long term solution. We'll play JUST well enough to not draft a top tier QB so he'll be our only option.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

So NE can just get lucky and Jets fans are crazy to give players some time to develop?

Thanks for straightening that out.

Sheesh!

cval likes this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

I never said jet fans were crazy to give players time to develop. I said jet fans always over rate our back up QBs. I'm not going to crown petty the future of the franchise over a couple of nice throws in preseason like others are doing here