Resigning Fitzpatrick was a major mistake

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Greenday4537, Sep 11, 2016.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Lol OMG you want to talk development, yet you think that the front office who has had petty on the roster for over a year has no idea how good he is? after scouting him, drafting him, and working with him for a year they literally had no idea that he is the future of the franchise so they accidentally took hackenberg lol, Man you couldn't be more wrong, get off the petty bandwagon. He's still on the roster because contracts and because they see him as a good backup in the future. He's on his rookie deal as a 4th round pick, he costs basically nothing, maybe they even think he can start for 1 year of hackenberg isn't ready next season and they can't resign fitz. He is here as a last resort/insurance policy. Geno is in his final year and won't be back, fitz will be a free agent again and there is no guarantee we will resign him. If we cut petty this offseason, that means in the 2016 offseason, we would only have 1 QB on the roster, hackenberg. The front office sees past 1 year, they are looking years ahead already. No way we could cut petty.

2. GasedAndConfused

If they seen petty as a potential starter in a few years, they wouldn't have drafted a QB in the second round that also needed a few years to be ready for the NFL.

3. GasedAndConfused

The difference is the pats were high on brady when they drafted him. They didn't draft brady and then a year later draft another QB high.

4. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I think they had doubts about Petty based on last season and where also very high on Hack (fell into their laps) They drafted Leonard Williams did that mean they thought Mo or Sheldon sucked? Back to Petty, it looks like things clicked for him part way through TC and he has made some big strides. I think if Fitz was to miss extended time Petty would be considered. You keep Geno because of his experience he gives you the best chance to win if FItz goes down mid game.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

FWIW, Fitz was named AFC Offensive player of the week.

Carry on.

NY Jets68, Kris 15 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  6. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Ryan Fitzpatrick has won 3 of the last 7 AFC Offensive Player of the Week awards.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Nonsense, utter nonsense. I'm sorry, no offense meant, but your rationale is laughable.

They took Petty because they thought he had a lot of potential and was a great prospect. They took him because unless a GM is willing to overpay to move up or is willing to "reach" in the draft, there are no guarantees in future years that they'll be in a position to draft a quality QB prospect. With the talent Mac was assembling and with the CS in place here, Mac rightly thought that the Jets would not be drafting in the top 10 again any time soon, and thus would not have a shot at one of the big name, top prospect QBs at the top of the draft because he isn't one to "reach" for a player, and as we have seen is adverse to paying too much to trade up for a player.

No GM in his right mind would have staked his career on a 4th round draft pick at QB. Thus, if Mac got a chance to draft another QB the scouts and he liked, he was going to take him to try to insure that he would find the Jets QB of the future, and he wouldn't lose his job because he failed to find a QB in the draft. In addition, Mac wants competition at all positions, so it's only logical that he would draft another young QB to compete with Petty. They liked Hack a lot and thought he was also a great prospect, so they hedged their bets at QB and took him hoping that at least one of them would work out. If both worked out, it would be gravy. Both were projects. There are never any guarantees with draft picks, and even less so with "projects."

Also, as another poster pointed out (cval, I think) they drafted Leonard Williams. Does that mean that Mac doesn't think that Wilkerson or Richardson are that good? No. So do you see the flaw in your reasoning? Just because Mac took Hack, doesn't necessarily mean anything negative about Petty. It could, but we have absolutely no evidence for that. Nothing has been said or done to even remotely suggest what you are saying.

I'll even take this a step further that I think that if Mac, Bowles, and Gailey don't think that Petty and/or Hack are gonna be ready to start next year, he may draft another QB in 2017. Again, that won't say or mean that he's giving up on Petty or Hack, just that he wants to insure that the Jets find their QB of the future, and find him as soon as possible. There is a philosophy in the NFL and among numerous posters here that if you don't have a franchise QB or quality starter, you draft one every year until you find one. It's the only sensible thing to do. A team will never win consistently starting cast-off vets and JAGS.

With the talent the team has and being in a "win now" mode, Mac needs to insure that he finds a QB. We all know that GMs don't last long if they don't find a young QB of the future for their team. That's all that Mac is doing.

And they didn't "seen" anything. It's "If they saw" or "If they had seen". See is the present tense. Saw is the past tense. Seen is the past perfect and it requires use of the auxiliary verb "had."

#387 NCJetsfan, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    Ralebird and Kris 15 like this.
  8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Naming Fitz the player of the week was a major mistake.

9. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Jets' Ryan Fitzpatrick named AFC Offensive Player of Week[​IMG] ''

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/jets-ryan-fitzpatrick-named-afc-offensive-player-of-week-1.1663822

Ryan Fitzpatrick was named AFC Offensive Player of the Week this morning for his remarkable performance Thursday night in Buffalo.

The Jets' quarterback went 24-for-34 with 374 yards and a touchdown in a satisfying victory over the Bills. It's the third time Fitzpatrick has won the honor in just 18 games with the Jets, and the fifth time in his career.

But don't expect him to be thinking about that honor, or the win over Buffalo, much this week.

"It was good, but the NFL is crazy in that we’re only as good as what we do this week," Fitzpatrick said Monday. "We’re not going to ... sit and celebrate last week because we have to move on."

The Jets gather for practice this afternoon, officially turning the page to the Kansas City Chiefs. But because they played on a Thursday last week, they've had some bonus time to prepare for Kansas City, which started 1-5 last season before going on a tear to make the playoffs.

"We have a team that last year, they won 11 straight and were a playoff team and have played very well already this year," Fitzpatrick said, "and it’s a very tough place to play, so we’re already trying to get ready for that."

It's still not apparent who will be playing for the Jets this week, but today's first injury report of the week should provide some clarity.

Receivers Brandon Marshall (knee) and Eric Decker (shoulder), left guard James Carpenter (calf), and linebacker Erin Henderson (foot) are all dealing with injuries after the win over Buffalo.

Meanwhile, linebacker Jordan Jenkins hasn't practiced fully since suffering a calf injury after the second game of the preseason. He could return to practice today, as coach Todd Bowles said the final hurdle for Jenkins is "getting him in shape."

Email: vasqueza@northjersey.com

The Dark Knight likes this.
  10. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Clearly not worth the money....

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I guess we really fucked up resigning Fitz didn't we....

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

fitz is 1-1 in the game following being named P.O.W. and has failed to score 20 in both games i believe. i'd rather he declined the award

13. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Clearly a major fuck up

Cman68 likes this.
  14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

When has a team ever been not high on a guy they draft, even in the sixth round? Where was he on their depth chart his first year? Yup, the Hackenberg spot.

In the five years after drafting Brady, the Pats took QBs in the fourth, sixth and seventh rounds.

15. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

My Quarterback.

Although, as much as it pains me, if Garropolo didn't disclocate his shoulder, he probably takes this going away.

16. DefenseWinsChampionships

Good point. Garoppolo was killing it before the injury.

Another QB deserving was Philip Rivers. He only passed the ball 24 times and without Keenan Allen still went 17/24 (70.8%), 220 yards, 4 TD's/0 INT's with a QB Rating of 138.9. Added another 10 rushing yards off 1 rushing attempt.

But hats off to Fitzpatrick. Went into Buffalo (former team), on the road, within a very hostile environment (the Ralph was insane), during a Primetime National Televised game & put up some big time numbers (without turning the ball over).

Well deserved.

17. GasedAndConfused

because as I stated before, the FO looks ahead. Mac said he was drafting BPA and the best player in the draft fell to us at 6, not to mention they know rich and mo both are gonna want big contracts and we can't afford to keep both long term, so williams will be a cheaper alternative then rich and possibly even better.

back to petty, If the FO thought he was playing that well, they would name him the number 2. before the injury of course

18. GasedAndConfused

williams was the BPA and considered by most, the best player in the draft. Hack was not BPA at that time. best QB? sure, best player? not even close. Jets were targeting a QB with their top 2 picks specifically, that shows the lack of confidence in petty. Williams was dumb luck that he fell into our laps. 2 completely different situations. The fact people would even try to compare the 2 is a joke

Also since you like examples, i'm pretty sure the pats staked their franchise at the hands of a 6th round pick and won 3 SBs with him, the seahawks did it with a 3rd round QB and won the SB in his 2nd year, niners did it with a 2nd rounder and made the champ game in his 2nd year, Cowboys did it with an UDFA in romo, The broncos are doing it this year with a rookie 7th rounder who played well enough for them to cut a veteran QB (sanchez) who they brought in to compete. At this point, draft position no longer matters, if petty was truly that good of a QB he would have competed for teh starting job, they wrote him off completly and said it's geno unless we sign fitz. They also looked into vets to back up geno in case they couldn't land fitz back.

I'm not saying petty is a bad prospect, I just don't see him as our franchise QB ever. I see him holding a clip board here for a while behind fitz for the year and maybe next, and then losing out to hack in a QB competition. Or maybe both hack and petty can't do it and we get another QB. who knows.

I understand the draft a QB every year philosophy and hope one pans out, as we don't have a clear cut future QB on the roster right now. Fitz is our win now QB, hack was drafted to be the future QB, petty to me looks like a career back-up. Only time will tell, but so many years we've heard jet fans talk about out "next big QB" from sanchez, geno, chad (yeah he would have been really good if not for the injuries) glenn foley, rick mirar, ray lucas etc etc. in NY the back-up QB always seems way too popular, fans seem to think the know more then the FO for some reason.

19. GasedAndConfused

to back up brady and possibly use a trade bait if they can. Pats are a smart organization, probably the smartest in football. You don't win your division 14 out of the past 15 years and 4 SBs without being smart. How many of those QBs are starting in the NFL BTW? none. Garrapolo was drafted to replace brady when he retires. he is 36 and he looked dam good so far, much better then petty

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

If you think the front office drafted a project QB one year and gave up on him less than a year later you must have a very low opinion of them. In that case, I'm not sure why you'd need your entire argument on what you believe their line of thinking was.

Seems like illogical thinking at best.