Resigning Fitzpatrick was a major mistake

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Greenday4537, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You've seen enough to tell Petty is a career backup? Where did you see that? Nobody else seems to have seen it - fans, coaches, management. I think you need to adjust your timeline before jumping to any more conclusions.

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

If Petty had played enough for the CS to make a decision, it would have come as a shock to all of us since we were clamoring for exactly that to happen. When Petty was in, he made the marginal talent around him better. I would say that if it wasn't for Petty, Anderson would not have had the preseason he did. I guess Anderson is only PS material too given the body of work shown so far.. Thank God this guy isn't a scout for us..

3. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

And one called back by penalty, and one dropped by Marshall. This dude seriously went out and shut some people up.

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Cherry pick much? Cinci was 11th in yards and 2nd in points.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, but I'm curious. Why do you think he doesn't have the talent to be a starting NFL QB? He has excellent size, a cannon for an arm, is smart, hard-working, mobile, and is poised in the pocket. He understands how to play QB. What is he missing talent-wise?

6. I will eat my words temporarily.He was extremely impressive last night. That offensive effort is the type we've wanted to see consistently for a very long time.The fact that it was on the road in Buffalo who has a good secondary & the former head coach makes it all the more tantalizing.

I just hope it continues..

All Gas No Shake and tiger8mush like this.
  7. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

At this point I could careless about 2017. Let's see alot more then one good game before we talk about 2017. Next game Fitz could suck then what will people say?

8. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

You'll think of something. Don't worry.

Freddy Mondo and Altoona like this.
  9. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

I wish Genobots could be happy when we win. Instead they are just looking for the next opportunity to jump on Fitz for a mediocre game smh.

ajax, jetsclaps and Cman68 like this.
  10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Some Genobots aren't actually Jets fans.

11. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

It'd likely depend on context.

Next game Fitz could be good then what will you say? Will autocorrect be a factor?

12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Same goes for Rexaholics too. #neverhappy

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Exactly. There was never really a competion for the backup spot. Mac and Bowles said from very early on that it was very likely that the Jets would go with 4 QBs. Thus, FItz was the starter and Geno the backup. Petty and Hack were developmental QBs. The Jets weren't sure where Petty was in his stage of development. They wanted to find out, but more importantly, they needed to get ready for the season. This became even more the case when Petty struggled early in OTAs. If there had been any thought of a competition for the backup spot between Geno and Petty, that probably erased that thought. It wasn't until late TC and preseason that Petty began to show how much he had learned and developed. By then, the Jets were pretty set that they were going to go with Geno as the backup since he had lots of experience and Petty was still a question mark. It was only Petty's impressive play late that probably even made them briefly reconsider going with Geno. Then when he struggled in one of the last preseason games (I think it was #4, but it may have been #3), they decided to go with 4 QBs.

It's not as that poster said that Petty couldn't inspire enough confidence in the CS. It's that he was never a serious candidate for the backup QB spot because they wanted a QB they knew was ready to play and could handle the job. Petty's getting close, but isn't quite there yet.

Cman68 and Imagesrdecieving like this.
  14. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

The way I see this whole back-up QB situation is as follows: Because of Geno having literally years more experience of actual NFL playing time together with his history of having a somewhat fragile psyche, naming Smith as the official #2 QB was obviously the most logical and sensible choice/decision for the CS to make. In the event, however, that Fitz were to suffer either a season ending injury or miss extended amount of playing time, you can be absolutely certain that Smith would be kept on a very short leash in terms of his remaining the starter for the duration. The length of that leash would likely be influenced to some extent by factors other than just his performance on the field (such as our position in the standings for example) at the time any such transition occurred.

Were Geno to perform well enough to meet or exceed the CS's expectations, there shouldn't be any questions of him retaining his role as our starting QB. OTOH, should he revert to his less than desirable form of the past, the above mentioned leash could be as long as a game or two and as short as two quarters of play resulting in the immediate inauguration of Petty into action.

Getting back to Fitz, however, within this system and with our well stocked inventory of offensive weapons, provided he consistently has sufficient protection along with the required bare minimum of a running game to further support him, I have no doubt he can get the job done despite his obvious shortcomings which he's proven himself able to overcome more often than not.
    Our players love and believe in him. If we can just get our defense fully sorted so that it consistently becomes the suffocating and ruthlessly dominating unit it really should be, I believe he could lead us to into the playoffs and beyond.

Freddy Mondo, BomberJet and PulseJet like this.
  15. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

what do points a
    not one game. he was good all of last year

even if fitz sucked, there is no worse option then geno. he is the worst player in football

DrM likes this.
  16. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Fitz will have bad games because ALL qbs have them. But the fact remains that he was and is the best option for this 2016 team.

17. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

If he's gonna go for 300 yards with no turnovers I'm not sure what there is to complain about b

18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

coaches and management did see it, which is why they didn't cut geno and drafted hack, and resigned fitz

19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I disagree that he understands the game. Geno has all those too except the understanding on how to play. petty doesn't look like he can run an offense. he looks like a 1 read QB. We'd have to bring out the sanchez red/green system from 5 years ago for him lol

20. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

If you said that last year I would agree. Not so sure you can make that statement at this time. Petty showed good improvement and the capacity to go up the learning curve.

When watching the game Thursday night I thought of Petty and how he might fare in the future with all the #1's around him. I'm really looking forward to that next year.

I also thought of Geno and was confident that he does not have the gamesmanship, savvy, or capacity to do what Fitz does.