Resigning Fitzpatrick was a major mistake

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Greenday4537, Sep 11, 2016.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, it doesn't. Fitz is the right QB for the Jets in 2016 because Geno isn't the answer and neither Petty nor Hack are ready to start. Things could be very different by TC next year. I think there's a very good chance that Petty could be and will be the starter next season if they give him the opportunity to compete. He doesn't have the arm limitations of Fitz.

2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

This wasn't the same old Jets and was not the same old Fitzpatrick. This game could have easily gotten out of control after Buffalo scored those two quick TDs. What did Fitz do? He settled in, made the right throws, and drove us down the field almost every possession. That's what a leader does and I can't ask for anything more.

Fitz is proving to be a good QB in this league. He doesn't need to be great. He doesn't need to be Brady or Rodgers. He needs to be a good QB that makes the throws we need. Let all the talent on offense produce the yards and the scores. I loved what he did last night and I hope he continues to sling it like that.

This kind of stuff is stuff you can't teach. Watching a guy like Fitz go into Buffalo and do what he did against very good corners is something Petty and Hack will forever remember. Keep teachin' the youth old timer!

fansince90 and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. Thewatchfuleye

Thewatchfuleye Active Member

I see no harm in signing him short term deals if he performs well. If he has a lot more games like last night I'd have no problem bringing him back next year. Perhaps he's smart enough to realize when it's time to hand over the reigns and sticks around as a backup if he wishes to continue his career.

Fitz has limitations but he's also being judged based on a track record of playing for pretty marginal teams.

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Yanno what? We've been more than patient with you Bills Fans. Time for you to go back to your board now. Its been fun and we'll see you at the end of the season. Until then... GTFO and stay out!.

5. NCJetsfan

I'll be surprised if Fitz is willing to go back to a backup role just to extend his career. Why should he? He's been a backup most of his career. He's made a ton of money, and unless he's blown it, should be financially set (as should be his kids). Hopefully, at least Petty, if not both Petty and Hack should be ready to compete for the starting job next season. They don't have the arm limitations and history of choking and/or forcing throws into double and triple coverage as Fitz does. The only way I'd want Fitz back as the starter next year is if he plays the rest of the games this season as he did last night and leads the Jets deep into the playoffs, and then if/when they lose, it wouldn't be because of Fitz. Otherwise, I'm hoping to see either Petty or Hack starting next year. We need to be able to take advantage of Robby Anderson's and Devin Smith's deep speed.

Red Menace likes this.
  6. Thewatchfuleye

Thewatchfuleye Active Member

Petty may be ready to go, not so sure about Hack but we've got a whole year for that to develop.

Fitz I look at as more game to game. I pretty much discount most of his career. He played through a lot of crappy teams. I mentioned in another post when he was here in Buffalo he basically had half a receiver. If he plays like last night they get into the playoffs, nothing matters too much about keeping him another year as long as he doesn't command a load of money.

7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

petty doesn't look ready. I'd be surprised if fitz doesn't start again for us next year. petty will back him up and hack will get 1 more year to develop. Geno will be gone

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

9. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

After one good game people are already talking about signing him next season? Smh

10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't they? He's proven to be a good fit with this OC and this roster. Odds are he isn't going to completely shit the bed. You can't enter TC hoping Petty is ready for action, so you probably have to bring back the guy you had the year before for competition if nothing else.

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

a little upset that your boy Geno isn't in the 2017 conversation?

Freddy Mondo, cval and Ralebird like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

He's not ready right now, but by OTAs next year, he very well could be, and in fact, I think he will be. Geno will be gone. Hack may very well need one more year, but he might not. Since his mechanics were better his freshman year, it may not take as long for him to fix them. Hack's a hard worker, is smart, and has a burning desire to excel and be the best. I wouldn't count him out for next year, although I think it will probably be 2018 before he's ready to really compete for the starting job.

#312 NCJetsfan, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    Red Menace likes this.
  13. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Imagine that. Stupid Jets fans happy they won a fucking game.

Hopefully nobody gets hurt and things go well from here on out, and then Petty takes the job next year.

Anybody that thinks Geno has the savvy and gamesmanship to do what Fitz can do is fucking lost

Freddy Mondo and Ralebird like this.
  14. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Cinci has a great defense? Since when? They were above average last year overall. Their pass defense last year was below average. They had a good rush defense but Matt Forte kicked their asses and that has nothing to do with Fitzpatrick.

20th in completion percentage against
    17th in sack percentage
    21st in passing yards against

Their only saving grace was they got a fair amount of turnovers but hardly a great defense by most metrics.

15. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

He sure looked good last night. I don't know if it's our receivers or if he's going to repeat last year's performance. But damn his arm a lot better. Hopefully, Fitz can keep it up.

16. GasedAndConfused

I'm not on board with petty. Even if he is "ready" I just don't think he has the talent to be a starting NFL QB. I'd rather have another year of fitz or push hack into the lineup

17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

What have you seen to indicate Hackenberg will ever rise above Petty on the chart? How about not setting up preconceptions and letting the situation solve itself? Things could be worse than having a clear cut QB of the future and also having a marketable also-ran.

18. ctjetsguy

ctjetsguy Active Member

Only Jets fans would claim a one year 12 million dollar contract to the QB who's led the best offense we've had in at least a decade, unquestionably, was a "major mistake", despite us being a win now team coming off a 10 win season and there being no long term financial ramifications beyond this year. And only Jets fans would make this claim after a one point opening game loss to a team that won 12 games the previous season and has been to the playoffs five years in a row. Mind boggling

19. IsmokePot

IsmokePot Active Member

Points allowed in 2015, 279. Second only to Seattle, good try though. The only number that truly matters when it comes to defense.

20. GasedAndConfused

Nothing yet, But I've seen enough of petty to tell he is gonna be a career backup. Maybe hack isn't the answer, maybe he is. Can't say for sure, But i can say that petty isn't the answer. He couldn't even gain enough confidence from the coaching staff to be a back-up over geno smith this season, let along start for us next year.