Revis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by microscopes, Sep 11, 2016.

1. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Just like it's not his fault Aj green last week, Deandre Hopkins, Sammy Watkins, and Amari Cooper last year...The list goes on. It's gotten to the point where Revis can't be trusted on anyone with any sort of speed. He's spiraled down so much you can only trust him on number 2s now that are more possession receivers

2. 94Abraham

You're delusional. Go get some help.

3. 94Abraham

Just rewatched the play again and there was definitely no other receiver in the zone so unless Zace expected him to sit there and cover an empty part of the zone and not go with the only receiver who was lined up on him, I'm not sure what else there is to say. There is no defense for him on that play as opposed to some people blaming the safety on the Aj green Td last week.

4. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Cover 3 doesnt isnt just about getting beat deep in a pass. Hes the last line of defense for any play in that direction. Watching that play, Revis looked more like he wasn't sure what was even happening. While yea he had fault. Its not because he so slow and bad he cant cover anyone.

I said he lost a step last season and that was blasphemy. This season i say, well hes not any worse, and thats blashphemy. My point is everyone needs to chill. One really speedy reciever gets a deep pass on a zone 3 and we act like revis is so bad we have to cut him now. Would Skrine have done better?

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I don't understand what you are trying to say.....You acknowledge that he's the last line of defense in that set and yet somehow you are trying to disagree with me that his primary responsibility is not to let anyone beat him? Your argument doesn't make any sense to me. In that post you are saying "no I disagree with you..." and then saying the same thing I said.. with some silly remarks about how he's not finished in this league.

I'm not saying Revis is slow he can't cover anyone ever. I am simply saying he got absolutely torched athletically by the Bills receiver on that play and that I don't understand at all what your point is by bringing up that he was in a zone set?

Jets69 and abyzmul like this.
  6. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Play cover 2 with Revis , safety help over the top. Or play man with Revis , but no longer can Revis play man on #1 receiver.... He couldn't even play man on a #3 last night.

Cover 3 you own the deepest part of the field. Revis got burned and failed to keep the receiver in front of him.

Even more concerning though is Revis pathetic tackling last night. Played with no heart at all down the final stretch. That last touchdown is on Revis too. Pathetic "attempt" at a tackle.

7. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Theres one thing all those guys have in common youre not acknowledging. Theyre all very fast and great deep threats. All cbs will struggle against then, but sometimes those yards are because of playcall.

Aj green had 180 yrs 79 of which were yac. So take away the long td of 54 and the freak 37 yard catch which you credit green for. Revis was there. Green got a lot of yards on bubble screens. That's hardly indicative of abusing a cb who didnt shadow him. Tho yes it was one of Revis's worst games

This team has always been susceptible to big pass plays dating back to rex. The only difference is were not used to seeing revis attached to them. So yes you are correct hes declined, but hes not as bad as youre making him out to be.

8. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Because if someone else comes up in the zone he's responsible for them too thats the difference. What im saying is he made a mental error and everyone is using it as a sign that hes lost the ability to play cb. Yes he's slower but no he's not so slow he can't cover anyone.

9. JetsVilma28

When you get paid huge money, fans tend to expect a certain kind of play. It's a good thing to defend/support your team, but Revis is not getting the job done through 2 games. And he is definitely not earning his keep.

Through 2 games Revis has been a liability and it's pretty difficult to ignore how much he has cost us.

10. BrowningNagle

but no one else was in the zone....so....

11. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Two guys were on his side, he clearly was looking in away from goodwin. There was a soft spot sitting right in front of him. His mistake was mental he was not aware of how fast goodwin was and underestimated him. How many yards did goodwin get after that?

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the confirmation.

Even though Williams did supposedly blow the coverage vs Cincy, Revis was right there and imo could have prevented the TD. It looked to me like he relaxed or dogged it a little on that play, or maybe the mob put some pressure on him regarding the point spread.

13. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

That last TD Lee pulled up on the tackle also. That's why Bowles was talking to Lee after he came off of the field.

Ralebird and JetsVilma28 like this.
  14. JetsVilma28

#50 and #24 both pulled up. It was pretty weak to watch. They were both in position to make a play, got to have that tackle. Too easy a score.

jetfan59 likes this.
  15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Yes, and if you saw the replay of the whole game you saw Bowles all over Lee when he came off the field. It was good to see Bowles get worked up about something and hopefully the rookie learned a lesson.

16. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

you are putting words in peoples mouths now.

no one said hopkins/watkins/cooper werent on revis.

Green beat revis more then once... but that long TD really wasnt on revis, williams blew the assignment.

either way, the revis thing is way overblown. if marcus williams is in deep center field and green doesnt score that TD, no one is even talking about revis.

I think the issue is basically, he isnt doing what makes him great. being physical at the line. they need to get him back to doing that....

coming off wrist surgery, and bowles being a cover 3/deep thirds coach who plays off, its not the greatest fit for him to get back to that soon. but i think that is more the issue then revis losing a step or not being able to handle #1s anymore.

coaches need to adjust. that will help a ton. he needs to heal up so he can be physical, that will help a ton.

17. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

when Revis was asked about Goodwin's olympic speed, he said he wasn't aware. Revis was always good because of his preparation....why wasn't he aware?

18. BrowningNagle

Bowles doesn't run cover 3 anymore than your average coach lol. He runs it when you are supposed to - when the offense has a long distance for a first down. Bowles runs a lot of man.

He also gives his 17 million dollar future HOF corner the flexibility to play up or give cushion when they are in man. You can't blame coaching for Revis struggles- unless you want to say they need to give him more help because he's struggling

19. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I think he's gonna get beaten like a drum all season until he starts jamming guys at the line and manhandling them out of their routes again.

NotSatoshiNakamoto and june19 like this.
  20. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

he ran 3 deep with his corners both in deep thirds 23 times vs the bengals and 17 times against the bills. 9 of 23 with cincy on third down and 4 of the 17 vs the bills on third down 2 of the 3 deep touchdowns were vs cover 3.

look, i have nothing wrong with cover 3. its very effective today with so much passing, its just not Revis strength.... off coverage in deep 3rds. he is more press coverage vs man. Bowles runs cover 3 more then most coaches. again, thats fine, just doesnt play to revis strengths.

I'm not blaming the coaching for revis struggles so much as saying he isnt a great fit for what the coaches like to do.