Resigning Fitzpatrick was a major mistake

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Greenday4537, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

After 1 game against a top defense, it was a huge mistake? Well okay then. Would this thread even be created if Folk/ ST didn't leave 4 points on the table?

2. Of course I'm gonna root for the guy. What choice do I have?

I'm just extremely skeptical at this point. I think things worked for alittle while on the merits of the 2 WR's, decent OL/running game & Gailey's play design. Defenses are catching on to what throws Fitz can & can't make..when you add in his tendency for turnovers at the wrong time..yikes.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I wasn't talking about Sunday's game. I'm talking about his whole career, including the last game of last season in Buffalo.

Give me a break.

4. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

It was the safe thing to do ...

5. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Biggest issue for me was in the Red Zone where we really stank - Fitz locked in on throws before the snap or made a decision to go to B Marshall. I have NFL Game Pass and rewatching using coaches tape gives you a much better perspective than the basic TV coverage.

After Williams got the int and Forte had a good gain the Jets had six attempts to get a TD - Fitz failed to make the plays needed (no idea if Geno would have been better but maybe would not have had Fitz's pocket presence to keep plays alive). A key drive to put them under pressure and the O failed to deliver, Enunwa was free as was Decker on a number of plays Fitz forced it to Marshall and at no time was he under pressure as the Oline held up well.

At the end of the game Fitz had just slightly more passing yards than AJ Green had receiving :confused::confused::confused:o_O:eek::eek::oops:- and they were missing Dennard their 2nd corner and primary slot CB - surely given the talent at WR the Jets should have been able to spread them out and make plays

We got what we paid for - a low level starter high end back up who is and has always been inconsistent.

PulseJet likes this.
  6. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Last year Fitz did enough to bring back. He either played above his head or was having a Gannonesque career arc.

Legitimate debate on either side. Jets decided to keep him. We'll see if it pays off.

Fughetaboutit!

SonofDinger likes this.
  7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

fitz is here because the fear of being bad makes it easy to settle for mediocrity. the new regime saw what happens when this team is bad. so we toil in the middle of the ranks, hoping to be the last team in, optimistic about next year when we are the first team out.

LAJet and JetBlue like this.
  8. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Keep dreaming hackenberg is a mess and his play proved it. At least Petty played well and can make all the throws also so I would venture to say he starts before Hack who needs a major overhaul of his mechanics.

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Hopefully he does. There is absolutely no reason on earth to start Smith if Fitzpatrick gets benched. He has no chance of being here next year either because the Jets don't want him or he won't want to stay. Petty is the only option at that point.

10. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Yeah I didn't review Game Pass but agree Fitz does tend to lock in to a target at times, specifically Marshall on the jump ball fade pattern and Decker in the slot inside slant. That's why he is not a top tier QB. That and arm strength is questionable.

In both red zone drives the Jets should have relied heavily on the run. QB sneak even.

And if Marshall makes that catch, Fitz is above 200 yards and 2Td's. Which is all you can hope for with him and given the running game and D should be good enough to win most weeks.

11. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

I'm not sold on Fitz, but let's be honest, Geno sucks, Petty isn't ready, and Hack is far from ready. Fitz is the best option right now. The Jets lost by 1 point to one of the better teams in the AFC. Let's chill.

Acad23 likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

we lost by 1 point to one of the best teams last year, in a game where folk missed an XP and had a FG blocked and people really want to blame fitz? Do you really think we would have done better with geno?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. FJF

if smith plays well the jets will want him, if the jets are willing to pay him he will want to stay. what you say makes 0 sense

14. Don

Nobody thinks that. Ask if you think we would have done better with Petty? Or even better a head coach that actually isn't clueless?

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

you fail to understand why Hack is a mess in the first place. The only real overhaul is the footwork, which with actual practice reps would have gotten a lot better by now. Getting garbage reps in practice then throwing him out in a game is not the way to develop a QB. Each decision that is made by the FO must help the young QB prosper.

Hack much further along then Petty his rookie yr. Both are encouraging prospects and would've improved A LOT if they had the reps.

16. Don

It was actually nice to hear Fitzpatrick getting booed on Sunday, it shows Jets fans aren't biased. They will boo anybody that sucks.

17. Don

They will never pay him or they wouldn't have let him go into his contract year unsigned..he's a QB, not a TE and you don't let that happen. Any contract more than a year would be a gamble with him and they know it and they certainly won't franchise him at what, 18-20M?

18. FJF

what did they have to gain from signing him to any sort of extension? so your first sentence is irrelevant to the conversation.
    now, why would they let him walk if he came in this year and played well? petty and hack would still be inexperienced question marks. i don't think a franchise tag would be out of the question, this is the qb position we are talking about and if a severely limited 33 y.o. jag can get 12 mill off 1 career (yet league average or lower in many categories) year, i think a 25 year old with all the physical tools coming off a good year can probably get north of that.

full disclainer: i don't expect any of this to happen, just hate when people talk in absolutes when the opposite isn't that far fetched

19. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This is how I felt when I saw him throw that Int, I was not mad.

I just turned it off and went out to an early dinner with the wife.

I'm excited now and looking forward to Thursday.

101GangGreen101 and Jets_Grinch like this.
  20. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

The fact is if that Geno in that game everybody blames Geno. Where was the boos for Fitz?