Karlos Williams...RB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Run_N_gun10, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I like this as a future move. It's bothered me that we haven't taken a single running back in the draft these last 2 years while other teams pluck starters in the 5th and 6th rounds. The kid's only 23, bring him on board and either put him on IR or light a fire under his ass for him to come back after his 4 game suspension. I see the ban as a good thing because he wouldn't count against our 53 for the first month and if someone goes down he'll come in handy. If not or if he can't put it together, just cut him (assuming he signs a low risk deal). Regardless, none of Forte, Powell and Robinson are our future starter at running back whereas Williams can be if he figures it out.

2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

If he was in shape / mind right, then he wouldn't be out of work right now.
    Buff cut him hours before the 2nd preseason game. That is a major major red flag, maybe even moreso than his 4 game suspension.

I suspect the guys that want to sign him also wanted the Jets to draft Gregory and Green-Beckham 1 and 2 last year.

Granted it's tempting to give his fat ass a look at FB if they insist on keeping one, but still not really worth it.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Maybe having a coach like Bowles can motivate him? There is no veteran leadership over in Buffalo right now, and it's hurting their younger players. Jets have a great combination of veteran leaders and young leaders on the come-up. I don't mind taking a chance on Williams since he will be cheap and has plenty of upside.

To be fair, I liked Gregory while he was at Nebraska, and I thought he would be a steal in the 2nd round, but he must've entered a new level of stupid once he got into the league.

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

There's no reason whatsoever to NOT take a chance on him, unless Macc does something foolish like hand out guaranteed money which I very highly doubt he would. Extremely high reward, not a single bit of risk.

Jersey Joe 67 likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I didn't realize he was suspended for the 1st four games. That's actually ok in this instance. You could sign him, get a look in the final weeks of the preseason and he won't take up a spot on the 53 man.

By week 5 when he's to become active, who knows what could happen? if there are injuries and/or you liked what you saw in his audition then you bring him on. If you decide you dont need him? you can still cut bait then before he becomes eligible.

6. BacktoQueens

Coaching doesn't fix substance abuse, or bad off field decisions from players.
    Just look at Sheldon's situation last year.

The player has to want to change, and show he takes the NFL seriously. If this guy was cut hours before the 2nd preseason game despite his excellent potential, that shows me he hasn't shown that change at all yet.

Really with Gregory?
    i thought he was an obvious bust. He will struggle against the run, and he prioritized weed over his career even in college.
    That's not worth investing a high round pick over.

Freddy Mondo and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. BacktoQueens

That is an interesting point.

Can you practice with your team during a substance abuse suspension?

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I'm sure he has major issues - it will be interesting to see if the Jets think it's worth taking a chance on him.

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Coaching doesn't fix it, but having a coach like Bowles and veteran / young leaders can help. How much? I really don't know. We really won't know if Sheldon changed until this year and the next years. Will he continue to make the same decisions? Maybe Karlos Williams getting cut was a moment of clarity. I don't know.

I liked Gregory in Nebraska because he had a great motor, never gave up on a play, and I thought he was easily one of the best pass rushers in college that year. I thought he took his collegiate career very seriously, he played hurt, etc. I liked his effort. However, I didn't know he had a real issue putting the blunt down.

10. BrowningNagle

He can practice and play in the preseason. Once week 1 starts he cannot be around the team and he doesn't count on the 53 man roster. That's why it could simply just be a 2 week audition and who knows. Considering he will sign for peanuts? idc if they bring him in

BacktoQueens likes this.
  11. JDeacon

JDeacon Well-Known Member

This would be a great pick up and an insurance policy for after the first 4 games as others have stated. Gives the guy time to get into football shape and the dude can truck it like a semi. Great complement to what Forte and Powell bring.

12. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I haven't heard much on Khiry Robinson since he was removed from the PUP list. He was supposed to fill the brusing back role as a change of pace for the more versatile Forte and Powell. I wonder if the interest in Williams is just a plan B should Robinson not be fully healed for this season. The interest is still a bit odd though in that Williams is suspended for 4 weeks so even if Robinson is still slowed and not ready he presumably would have those same 4 weeks to heal up and get back into playing shape before a decision is made on activating Williams or him unless they already know hes going on ST IR.

13. BacktoQueens

Rex has done well with giving players second chances, like Incognito and IK last year, but have already had enough with Williams.
    That says a lot to me.
    How is Bowles going to magically change that unless Williams is willing to change? He couldn't stop Sheldon from making bad decisions last year. It's up to the player, and as of now, it's not looking promising for Williams short of him making big changes.

btw, what is this lack of veteran leaders you are referencing?
    He's got McCoy right in his position room, and plenty of veterans and talented young players throughout the team.
    they can't be with him all offseason.

14. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Not sure but maybe it has to do with freeing up $ ?
    Aren't they tight against the cap?

15. BrowningNagle

they said the decision to release him was "strictly performance based" and nothing to do with him off the field. Who knows though. That's probably BS

16. BacktoQueens

gotcha.
    would be more interesting if he could practice with team.

learning the O in 2 weeks, then making big life changes while getting into football shape without the benefit of the team......
    that's a tall order.

i guess it's low risk, but i'm not really interested at this time.

17. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

If Mac brings him in, I'm sure the personal issues wont be a problem for the Jets. In Mac I trust...

18. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

Is that a fact, or just an opinion because you dont know the roster? Lol.

19. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

When a player gets cut, often times the rejection and realization of hitting rock bottom itself causes a player to re-evaluate themselves and become motivated. Bowles might not have to do much if Karlos learned anything from this experience.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  20. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Picking this kid up is a no lose proposition .
    You bring him in , give him an incentive based deal, see how motivated he is and go from there

TNJet likes this.