WR's

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by cbman13, Aug 11, 2016.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

True. I was thinking in terms of the regular roster after Richardson's suspension. That one week could be a blessing, as it may allow the Jets to sneak someone onto their PS that otherwise wouldn't make it at the end of camp.

boozer32 likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

Since Smith will be on the PUP, the Jets might as well keep Ross for those at least 6 games. Who knows, the Jets could wind up putting Smith on the short-term IR or season-long IR.

3. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

It's crazy how many people here have Jalin Marshall as a lock to make the team based off a couple tweets they saw from guys who watch practice. We've seen him live with the lights on twice now and he's been pretty unimpressive both times. Lots of drops over the middle of the field and he's shown 3 or 4 times now that he can't hold onto the ball while getting hit, which is critical for an NFL receiver (especially one that plays primarily inside and runs routes over the middle). That type of thing doesn't show up in practice because there's no hitting. He also ran a wrong route last night. It was on the play where he drew defensive holding on what looked like a pump-and-go. Initially I thought that Petty pumped because of the play design and then tried to hit Marshall downfield. Rewatching it, you can see that the play was intended to be a screen pass, the entire o-line is running downfield to block and Petty had every intention of throwing the ball on that "pump" (he almost fell over trying to hold onto it). Marshall just kept running. That's why we got called for an ineligible man downfield too, the entire o-line was 6 yards downfield.

I think Peake will make the team because he's shown up both on the practice field and on gameday, and because he has priority since he was a draft pick. If we're to keep one of the undrafted guys on the 53 man roster, I really like what Robbie Anderson has shown. At this point, I think Marshall is a good candidate for the practice squad; I don't think he'll have a problem clearing waivers with the tape he's put out the first two weeks.

I also think it further emphasizes my point that we need to keep an experienced guy like Kenbrell Thompkins because you never know how undrafted rookies will perform when the games start counting. And judging by the fact that Thompkins was playing with the first team, I think that's exactly what will happen.

4. NCJetsfan

You had a good point until you mentioned Thompkins instead of Ross. If Jalin Marshall doesn't make the squad, then Ross has to, because he will be the PR and KOR. Ross also plays both in the slot and split out wide. Thompkins doesn't play STs and is a one-dimensional receiver. IMO there's no spot for him on the roster.

Also, I'm not sure that Marshall clears waivers and makes the PS. You can't coach speed and return ability. Much of the time, drops can be fixed.

5. Big Cat

We do need a returner, which could be a good argument for keeping Ross. I've noticed he's consistently gotten the first crack at returns over Marshall, so maybe the coaching staff feels the same way.

I think we might be able to get by keeping 7 receivers since Enunwa is also capable of playing H-back. That fact might enable us to keep fewer tight ends than most teams, which would also be nice since we don't target our tight ends and they drop or fumble the ball every time we do.

So it could shake out at WR as:

Marshall
    Decker
    Enunwa*
    Thompkins
    Ross
    Peake
    Anderson

With Devin Smith on either IR/designated to return or the PUP. Then when he's ready to be activated, you make the decision on who to let go (Thompkins) or try to get Peake or Anderson on the practice squad mid-season, which is easier to do than right out of training camp.

We won't be able to keep 7 receivers and 4 QB's in all likelihood though, but that's an entirely different argument for another thread.

6. NCJetsfan

You might be right about Marshall and how the CS views him. I'd just hate to lose him. I think he has a lot of potential. Unless those camp observers have been totally off base, Marshall has been a star of camp, so I'd be surprised if the CS sees him as you think they might or do, but they could.

Actually, we can keep both 4 QBs and 7 WRs. It was demonstrated in a thread last night.

7. Big Cat

I'll go back and find it. I don't really look at the forum much on game days other than making snarky one liners about plays in the game thread.

Freddy Mondo and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

NCJetsfan, Further to our conversation of yesterday morning regarding keeping Ross vs Robby, after last night's game, you can see why I have such a gay, man crush on Anderson. Despite his 4.34 40, he plays considerably faster than his timed speed which, combined with his fluidity and smooth but sudden cutting ability, contribute to why he releases so well/cleanly off the LOS despite his scrawny frame. As was so plainly evident last night, Anderson has so much natural talent and he's long had the reputation of making the difficult catches and plays seem uncannily relaxed, smooth and easy. I see Peake, Anderson and Jalin Marshall as the future with Peake and Anderson talking over for Marshall and Decker on the outside and Jalin playing out of the the slot.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

Yes, I can see why you like him so much, and I think he may be in process of earning that roster spot.

10. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

Dear Santa,

B. Marshall
    Decker
    Enunwa
    Peake
    Anderson
    Ross
    J. Marshall

Thank you, Santa.....

#130 Altoona, Aug 21, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  11. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Gotta hope that Jalin Marshall & Robby Anderson both make it to the practice squad for 2017 roster.

12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

anderson sure made a case for himself. I think thompkins is 100% gone. marshall, peake, anderson, and ross fighting for the last 2 spots. we could keep 3 to start the season because of smith likely being on the PUP list (short term IR) I just can't see where thompkins fits

13. NCJetsfan

The PS for the 2017 roster? What happened to 2016? I think it's a pipe dream to hope or think they'll make it to the PS this season, much less with a year's experience. I don't think either of them would. I hope that we don't have to find out. IMO, based on what we've seen and heard, both have earned a spot on the roster.

Altoona likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

How many WRs do you see the Jets keeping? Looking at your post, you obviously see B. Marshall, Decker and Enunwa as locks. So you think the Jets will only keep 5 WRs? I sure hope not, both in terms of the talent of this young group of WRs and looking at the other players on the roster. I think the Jets should keep at least 6, and more likely 7 WRs on the roster. They could keep Ross until Devin Smith comes back (IF he comes back this season).

15. GasedAndConfused

I think we keep 6
    marsh decker and enunwa are locks. smith is also a lock but will start on PUP or short term IR meaning he won't take a spot for a while (or maybe IR'd the whole year, who knows) but i'll leave smith out for now since he won't count against the day 1 roster. That leaves 3 spots between ross, anderson, peake, marshall and thompkins

anderson marshall and peake are all rookies and doing very well in camp and preseason so far. they are also very cheap.

Thompkins is 27 hasn't done much and doesn't return punts and kicks. cutting him saves 1.67mil (no dead money) and getting replaced by one of our young guys (450k) is a net savings of 1.2 mil I can't see a scenerio of where we keep him

that leaves 4 WRs battling for 3 spots. ross has experiance and he would only save 140k so money won't matter here. He is 28 but has PR/KR experience, but lacks ability to be an effective WR. He could make the team based on returns alone. Marshall has looked great on returns too though and the team could opt to keep marshall instead

I think right not peake and anderson are locks. and either marshall or ross for the last spot)

That means out WR group would be
    Marshall
    Decker
    Enunwa
    peake
    anderson
    marshall
    Smith (PUP/Short term IR)

then depending on smith's injury, if he comes back we'll cut one of those guys

16. GreenWhiteandGold

GreenWhiteandGold Well-Known Member

So what happens if they cut Geno? I never believed coming into camp that it was a remote possibility but looking at him and Petty it almost seems logical at this point. It would be a shock but would allow some roster flexibility. 3 qbs,1 TE and Enunwa, provides the possibility of keeping 7 other wrs. You've gone from your 4 qb, 2 TE and 7 wr to 3 qb, 1 TE, Enunwa and 7 wr. Is this even a remote possibility?

#136 GreenWhiteandGold, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  17. GasedAndConfused

I think we keep 2 TEs personally. I'd prefer amaro and sudfeld. davis is a piece of crap. We could opt not to carry a FB and use that for a 7th WR, 4th QB, or 3rd TE. Bohanon is useless IMO, hell howsare looked better then him.

GreenWhiteandGold likes this.
  18. DefenseWinsChampionships

If the long term goal is to develop a Franchise caliber QB regarding Petty/Hackenberg then I believe it's only logical to continue the development of younger receiving prospects in Enunwa, Jalin, Peake & Anderson.

We may need to draft a WR to replace Marshall in about 2-3 season's from today but in the meantime I feel it's vital to coach up, develop & mold these younger receiving prospects in order to put either of Hackenberg or Petty in good position to succeed once their names are called.

Because of that I'm releasing both Ross & Thompkins while going with...

Brandon Marshall.
    Eric Decker.
    Devin Smith (PUP).
    Quincy Enunwa.
    Charone Peake.
    Robby Anderson.
    Jalin Marshall.

19. NCJetsfan

Thanks for the clarification. The bolded part is what I wasn't sure about. Earlier you had said 4 guys competing for 2 spots, and that's why I thought you saw the Jets keeping only 5 WRs. I agree with you regarding Thompkins.

I think Peake is a lock and Robinson is darned close to being one, if he isn't already. I think J. Marshall would be a lock if it weren't for his drops. They have to keep a returner, and I'd rather see them keep 2. If they only keep Marshall and he struggles, so will STs and the team. Ross would likely sign with another team. If they keep Ross, Marshall probably won't clear waivers unless he drops a bunch more passes in the next 2 preseason games, and even then with his speed and return ability, someone is likely to claim him. That's why I think the Jets need to keep 7 WRs (not counting Smith to start the season). As was demonstrated in a thread the other night, the Jets could keep 7 WRs and still have good depth at every position.

B. Marshall
    Decker
    Enunwa
    Peake
    Robinson
    J. Marshall
    Ross

Then if Marshall has proven to be an effective returner and Peake and Robinson are making plays in games, then the Jets could release Ross when/if Smith returns. I disagree with you regarding Ross lacking ability to be an effective WR. He hasn't done much in his career, that's true, but he's supposedly had a very good camp, and is flexible playing both in the slot and split out wide. He also looked like a good receiver in the preseason game vs. Jax. I haven't checked the stats vs. Washington. I wasn't able to see that game, but listened on internet radio and don't recall if I heard Ross' name or not.

20. NCJetsfan

I agree on 2 TEs, just differ on the two. I think it should be Amaro and Bostick. Sudfeld is not an in line TE either. He may be good on STs, but isnt' a good blocker and isn't that good a receiver. Bostick is a true TE, and is a good blocker.

I also agree on cutting Bohanon. I'd rather see Howsare stick as he can play LB or FB.