WR's

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by cbman13, Aug 11, 2016.

1. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

Peake, Marshall, and Ross, showed me more in a meaningless preseason game than Smith did all last year. He was hurt, didn't catch some balls he should have and didn't appear to be shifty enough to roam the middle or short intermediate routes. He is north/south only it appears. If all he is ends up being a deep threat, he is the weak link. IMO he has more hype due to draft spot, then he does actually being a NFL receiver. I hope he turns into a top WR, for now I say no. He may be too injury prone and fragile.

Altoona likes this.
  2. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Its too early to give up on Smith. A lot of WRs need time to adjust to the NFL. The 3rd year is considered a "breakout" year for many young WRs. Also factor in that Smith missed most of TC last year with punctured lung, all off-season with ACL and no TC again this year.

Even when he comes back this year I doubt he contributes much of anything. This year will be an investment year in the hope he can have a full off-season and contribute next year.

RochesterJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

The bolded is why i certainly wouldn't rush Smith off PUP.
    should stretch that out into late Nov or Dec, or maybe even consider IR if the other receivers are kicking ass at that point.

RochesterJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. DefenseWinsChampionships

We just need to continue coaching up, molding and developing Devin Smith over the next two/three years.

If he can return and stay healthy, by that time; we'll have a polished Smith ready to work alongside a strong armed QB such as a Hackenberg (if not Petty) who unlike Fitzpatrick due to arm limitations can utilize the speed and deep play capability of Smith downfield.

In two/three years if the likes of Devin Smith, Quincy Enunwa, Charone Peake & Jalin Marshall are fully developed and polished our young gun QB prospects will then be in good position to succeed.

Way too early to quit on a 2nd year player in Smith all because of injury as a rookie. Iike the kid and as long as Marshall/Decker are healthy there's absolutely no reasoning behind rushing him back onto the field. I just wanna see him remain healthy in order to see a finished product two/three years from today for one of our young gun QB's to work with.

RochesterJet and Nesquik like this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I think our final 6 will be marshall decker and smith (are obviously locks) and jalin marshall, peake, and enunwa. j.marsh will also be our returner.

We need young WRs. Everyone out of that 6 are 25 or younger except our starting 2. Hopefully a couple of them can mature into being starting WRs by the time marshall hangs it up.

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Smith won't be on the roster until at least midway through the season if at all.

7. nycarl

nycarl Active Member

What are the consequences of cutting Thompkins before game 1? It's unlikely another team would pick up a 28 year old receiver at cut down to 53. He should be available as a Week 2 signee after we see how the rookies played in game 1. Since the rookies will likely be picked up by another team we need to roll the dice on no one else signing Thompkins. Ross too, for the same reason. It's a gamble but one you take when you have the talent we seem to. I'd even consider keeping Robby Anderson over Thompkins if he continues to impress.

#87 nycarl, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    All Gas No Shake and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Is thompkins on the bubble or wishful thinking to get 2-3 of the youngins on the active roster? Thompkins seemed to be solid last year...you still need an outside the numbers WR's since Decker comes to slot a lot...

Peake and Marshall I'd love to have stick on the roster but Anderson is he PS eligible? And Ross has been around the league for a bit...are you hard pressed to find a way to keep on this team? Just questions...

9. Sec124DieHard

Sec124DieHard Well-Known Member

YES

Yankjetfan likes this.
  10. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

As much as I'd hate to think we might have burned another 2nd rounder on a WR that isn't going to make it. Smiths situation becomes a bit precarious if the young guys we have now can keep it up.

He's managed to miss out on camp and the preseason both years. This would be a problem for any young player, especially one that required work on route running. An additional downside is the one thing he was brought in for (going deep) can't really be done with the current QB.

His overall usefulness to the game plan, when he comes back, is going to be iffy at best; at least until he gets up to speed. That's going to be the really tough part if the other kids keep performing.

With the way he's been talking about not knowing when he'll play, 2nd chances and trying to get his strength back. I can see him ending up on pup/ir for the season if the other kids at WR keep playing well.

11. DefenseWinsChampionships

If that's the case I'm going with...

Brandon Marshall.
    Eric Decker.
    Quincy Enunwa.
    Charone Peake.
    Jalin Marshall.
    Jeremy Ross.
    Devin Smith (PUP).

As my 6 active WR's starting off the season.

The reason why i keep Ross over Thompkins is because of special teams return ability.

Once Devin Smith returns off the PUP list I'd then cut Jeremy Ross and go with Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, Smith, Peake & Jalin (#1 return man).

tomdeb and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Smith reminds me physically of Todd Pinkston, too fucking skinny but has great speed and agility, tracks the ball well and has decent hands, will make some memorable plays but just isn't solid enough to hold up in the pros. Will also make some memorable drops.

I don't really consider him a mainstay and he was probably a bad draft pick.

It won't surprise me at all if Jalin Marshall translates better to the NFL than Devin Smith.

14. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Per OTC, the Jets could gain a $1.671M cap savings by cutting Thompkins. If the coaching staff thinks Peake is capable of contributing this year and has higher upside I could see them keeping him and cutting Thompkins to save some cap. As of right now OTC is showing just $1.4M in cap space, which is a prediction based on the 53 man roster.

15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Now we just need a Donovan McNabb to get him the ball

16. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if Thompkins' contract is guaranteed already or if the guarantees are triggered if he's on the roster week 1?

Anyways I anticipate our pass catchers being:

B. Marshall - #1
    Decker - #2
    Enunwa - slot/H-back
    Thompkins - deep threat
    Peake - back-up to #1 and #2
    J. Marshall - return man/back-up in the slot
    Amaro - pass catching TE/back-up H-back

Ross may beat out J. Marshall or Peake for a roster spot but if they are even in pre-season it's likely we go with the high potential guys.
    D. Smith might/should take Thompkins' place when he returns, but he might take Peake's if he doesn't live up to the hype/they try to stash him on the PS.

In terms of TEs I think it could well be we only keep one between Davis and Sudfeld (on top of Amaro who I mentioned earlier) since there's a strong chance we have at least 4 OTs in total (Clady, Ijalana, Qvale, Shell + maybe Giacomini) and one of them could come in as the jumbo TE. IF we keep two it's because of Sudfeld's value on ST (he was good the first year).

#96 Mambo9, Aug 17, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't see why the Jets would keep Thompkins over Ross. By all reports, Ross has had a great camp. He is a much more flexible and valuable player. As a WR, he has been playing both out of the slot and split out wide, and has been returning both punts and KOs. AFAIK, Thompkins only plays split out wide as a WR and doesn't play STs. In addition, the team would save $1.671 million in cap space if he's the one who is cut. IMO Thompkins would have to be a better WR target by a huge margin to make him worth keeping over Ross. I certainly don't see keeping Thompkins over Peake or Jalin Marshall.

tomdeb likes this.
  18. DefenseWinsChampionships

I've been intrigued when thinking about our 2016's wide receiver class throughout the offseason and it all starts with Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker.

Not since those memorable playing days of Keyshawn Johnson & Wayne Chrebet (stars vs. flashlight game) have we featured this much high end talent as 1st and 2nd pass catching options within the passing game.

And before Johnson & Chrebet and/or Coles and Chrebet it was Al Toon & Wesley Walker and before the throwback days of Toon/Walker it was Don Maynard & George Sauer for the old timers.

Heading into 2016 (after only 1 season together) I feel as if Marshall & Decker are now the greatest Jets WR tandem of all-time moving forward.

In regards to Brandon Marshall there's never been a single Jets WR to put up as dominant of a season as Marshall's first year with N.Y consisting of 109 receptions, 1,502 receiving yards & 14 TD receptions. Brandon Marshall is the most dominant outside wide receiver our franchise has ever witnessed.

Eric Decker may just be the strongest 2nd option this franchise has ever seen as well, for example combining for 154 receptions, 1,989 receiving yards and 17 TD receptions over the past two seasons.

Marshall & Decker combined for 189 receptions, 2,529 receiving yards along with 26 TD receptions last year during their 1st season together. The most dominant duo we've ever seen out of a Jets tandem.

Heading into last year we had some question marks surrounding Marshall & Decker, but not anymore. Heading into 2016 we now fully understand what they're capable of doing as 1's & 2's. It's been a long time coming but together Marshall & Decker have formed an electric feel to the position (feels like over night) and the WR position is now surrounded by high expectation along with serious competition.

Behind Marshall & Decker we have what seems to be an up & coming/emerging Quincy Enunwa. With improved hands/catching ability this Enunwa kid can become a down right matchup nightmare for opposing defenses due to his rare combination of size, speed & strength.

Behind Marshall, Decker & Enunwa we have serious competition regarding depth between the likes of Peake, Jalin, Ross & Thompkins.

With all that said most teams carry 6 WR's with 5 active come gameday. This current WR class is very promising which means they'll be a tough cut or two along the way. It's pretty much inevidible. It's been a long time coming since as a fan base we've been able to discuss a good 8 receivers in Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, Smith, Jalin, Peake, Ross & Thompkins.

While Smith is on the PUP I'm going with...

Marshall.
    Decker.
    Enunwa.
    Peake.
    Jalin.

As my 5 active receivers. Let the coaching staff decide which one to cut out of Ross/Thompkins.

Once Devin Smith returns from the PUP list...

Marshall.
    Decker.
    Enunwa.
    Smith.
    Peake.
    Jalin.

I've really enjoyed this thread. Has made for strong topic of discussion heading into the season and hopefully these same prospects we're talking about will flourish behind Marshall & Decker.

I just don't see how it's possible to release one of Jalin Marshall or Charone Peake. With Jalin he's been training camps stand out player with electrifying kick return ability. And with Peake coming out of Clemson there's just too much potential to risk losing out on.

nycarl and tomdeb like this.
  19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I feel sorry for anyone who read that whole post.

xxedge72x, RexontheBeach and FJF like this.
  20. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

Marshall, Decker and Enunwa are obviously locks. To my eyes, J. Marshall, Peake and Anderson are both the present and the future. My concern is that Ross will get the nod over Anderson on the 53 man roster (if the Jets decide to break camp with 6 instead of 7 WRs) due to his versatility in terms of added depth/insurance for the return game, particularly since Bowles has placed such a high priority on improving our performance on special teams. J. Marshall actually reminds me more of Laveranues Coles as far as his body type and how he plays and runs than any other previous Jets receiver.....