The Wire vs. Breaking Bad

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jul 17, 2016.

?

Which show was better?

1. Breaking Bad

17 vote(s)
    63.0%
  2. The Wire

10 vote(s)
    37.0%
  1. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

They pretty much covered the core story of it in season 4. He is fantastic, maybe we see him in Better Call Saul

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Rumors were he was going to appear at the end of season 2. They haven't touched the backstory fully on Mike and Gus

3. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

Somehow I forgot BCS had been leading up to Gus. He will be on that show, although I'm not sure if he'll get to be as good without a Walter White to go against. maybe he goes against Nacho??

4. 101GangGreen101

More than likely not as Gus and WW had good chemistry on screen and the struggle for power throughout the season was executed great. I would like to see more of how Gus got to this point below along with showing Hector and Mike's potential involvement. Hector should still be healthy still and I hope they add in how Hector got his stroke.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Let's make it Chili's old man rivers. Unless there's an early bird special you're trying to take advantage of at Applebee's grandpa. ;)

6. Jonathan_Vilma

I think that's what made her performance and development that much better. I hated her too, but you're supposed to hate her so she played the role well. I think the character development was much deeper in Breaking Bad, although a knock on that is they had a lot less characters to develop.

7. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I agree with this as well, we hate the wife of a drug dealing murderer because she doesn't like her lying husband. A true showing of how well written the show was.

8. 101GangGreen101

I just didn't like her character development or how the writers set her up. The whole arguing between Walt and Skylar really had no true repercussions, it didn't change what Walt did, and she never actually left. They could've done her character more justice.

The Wire to me had better and more meaningful character developments, I found them to be more complex, more of an internal struggle within which I tend to like more with characters. We all have dark sides and light sides and I think the Wire did that very well. McNulty specifically was written very well. Stringer Bell also. Obviously its up for debate, that's just how I felt.

9. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Agreed, I love the actor. He's been busy acting in the show "Revolution" and has been great in that as well. If he leaves, he might just show up in Better Call Saul. I think that would be pretty cool.

10. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Revolution has been off the air for over 2 years as far as I am aware.

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I fucking LOVED Breaking Bad, and have only watched one episode of The Wire, so I'm withholding judgment, but it's hard for me to believe the layer could be better. I'm more of a binge watcher, didn't watch BB until a couple years after it ended.

Can't wait to watch BCS 2 years after it ends.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

I'm the same on the binge watching aspect. I can't ever seem to continually follow a show, and it's better anyways since you control when you find out what happens IMO.

I'll probably pick up BCS eventually.

Has anyone watched the Americans? I saw the first couple seasons but lost touch with it. Really seems like a show that needs to be binge watched as its hard to really remember what happened when they seperate the seasons by almost over a year. I liked it though.

13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I watched the first 2 seasons as it aired and yes it was hard to remember what had happened season to season so i quit

14. abyzmul

Okay, I lied. I binge watched BB. We watch the Americans and that dogshit TWD religiously. And Vikings.

And definitely the Americans.

When it first started, the Americans fucking owned me just because of the soundtrack, although the drama got me too. After a while, I got a little bored.

For a while it got better, although it'd been better, although lately it's been hit or miss.

People need to start dying again.

That's our culture.

People must die.

15. IBLEEDGREEN17

IBLEEDGREEN17 Well-Known Member

S2 was my favorite

16. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Damn, you are right. And here I was looking forward to season 3. I didn't realize they canceled it. That's a shame.

17. abyzmul

Okay, so I just watched a couple of episodes of BB with my wife, who has never seen the show, and I realized why I loved it so much the first time.

Most TV shows have what I call the Floating Bubble of Power.

It's a tiny invisible bubble that floats around and lands on whatever character is dominant in any scene, and in most shows it ends up landing on two or three characters who are focal points in the show.

But it never lands on more than one person at a time.

In Breaking Bad, that little bubble lands on every character in the show, individually. Every single one. Okay, except the baby, which alternates between a doll and probably 30 different extremely ugly babies.

But part of the allure for me is that pretty much every character holds some aspect of power.

I've watched Game of Thrones, and it's so fucking clunky. They try to have that bubble land on 5 people at one time. It makes it a bad show.

But hey, there's tits and death, so morons love it.

Jonathan_Vilma and RexontheBeach like this.
  18. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Admit it, your favorite scenes are ones with Walt Jr. at the kitchen table demanding he be fed his breakfast.

JDeacon likes this.
  19. abyzmul

Actually, so far my favorite re-watch scene is of watching Gus slit that guy's throat in the laundry lab and watching the faces of Walt and Jesse, with him and Jesse locking eyes.

After that, on my first watch, I thought he was going to kill Jesse quick.

Second watch?

Holy shit, it was like he had plans for him.

BB was a fucking superior show.

20. JDeacon

JDeacon Well-Known Member

Breaking Bad all day. I love the wire and enjoy all the HBO shows from that generation of Tv ( Oz, Sopranos etc) but BB is a masterpiece of a dark comedy. None of the character development seems forced or unnatural. There was not one single episode that was not important in the entire series, no filler bs, it was all good. Even after watching it 3 times I can still turn it on and be instantly drawn in and notice little things that foreshadow future events that I had not noticed before. Plus the fact Bill Burr is in it is fucking awesome.