Mo Wilkerson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NOVAJET, Apr 29, 2016.

1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I'd love to see an analysis of how many double teams snacks faced compared to other DT's in similar fronts. Being between Wilkerson and Richardson probably gave him a lot more 1 on 1 downs than usual.

And I have been saying this for a couple of years, so it's not a "well he's gone now we didn't need him anyway" type homer statement.

2. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I'm still shocked Jets pulled this out. Now SOJF in me is afraid that Mac somehow will get lured away from this FO.

3. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

As much as i wanted Mo to get traded it was just because I thought it'd be a good move for the franchise to recoup picks and cap space at a position (DE) that is clearly the strongest on the team. As a fan however i think its hard to realize/comprehend how important it is to keep the guys u drafted. It seems like were always trading for guys trading away guys and signing guys and although its cool to here your teamed talked about in media id much rather have homegrown talent. It hurt trading Abraham away (although we got Mangold), it sucked trading Revis away(although we Richardson) signing back Mo is going to instill trust between the organization and the players, and although its a lot of money its a good deal because he's in his prime all the way through it and its less years and guaranteed money than Coxs deal plus he's a better player. Im glad Mo took less that was a great team move on his part and hopefully some of the other guys capable like Revis and Marshall atleast restructure somehow to help with the cap.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

to your second statement- I know, I hear ya I wasn't trying to make it seem that way. I even felt that way about Harrison for awhile myself but Idk I began to come around on him the last year or so. I started watching him more closely and I saw a player that was outstanding in the running game. A lot of his tackles were even made from behind. He would clog up one side of the line and when the RB cut to the other side, Harrison would often peel back and grab the RB from behind. That's rare. Your average big fatty NT doesn't do that.

I dont doubt though that he benefitted some from the other studs on the line. It would be interesting to see how many doubles he got. I think they all helped each other.

5. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

I know many fans don't think much of Rich Cimini, but he made a couple of really good points that were spot on, imo ...

"This was an out-of-the-blue deadline deal -- a smart move by the Jets. You build championship teams by keeping your best players in the building, and Wilkerson, only 26, is a cornerstone player. The notion of trading Wilkerson never made any sense even though they explored it over the past two offseasons. Give Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan credit for finally recognizing Wilkerson's value. This also alleviates a potential training-camp headache because Wilkerson probably wouldn't have signed his franchise-tag tender by the start of camp on July 27.

5. Taking care of their own

This deal is important because the organization isn't known for re-signing its own high-profile players. In recent years, the only homegrown players to get new deals were Mark Sanchez (2012) and David Harris (2015). Wilkerson could have been another situation similar to Darrelle Revis, but the Jets stepped up with a loud message. Brandon Marshall tweeted that it was "huge" for the locker room."
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/je...eadline-surprise-with-muhammad-wilkerson-deal

Finally we have a GM who GETS IT. :)

6. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

^ many fans here don't think much about you either, doesn't stop you from posting your BS too.

Jets69 likes this.
  7. Truth4U2

^ someone's in a bad mood ... sorry your life isn't going better.

8. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

I'm really glad that this team now conducts its business in private and says nothing until the deal is done. It was just the same with the draft and keeping our cards close to our chest.

This is the way that that successful teams do things and its so refreshing to see after Rex.

9. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

wasnt there a stat posted that snacks had been doubled more then any interior lineman in the league?

10. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Huge much needed move. Never made any sense to lose a top 5 NFL DE for nothing in return because you drafted a guy with the same potential last year. Would have been better off drafting someone else if that was the plan. Can now use all 3 elite DE's and when the younger 2 need paid do what you have to do.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The usage of more 4 man fronts should also help the Jets in the run game as well. We got some fast linebackers that can get behind the yard of scrimmage. It will take a team effort, but it's possible to off-set the loss of Snacks

12. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I think whatever we lose in the inside run game from losing Snacks, we gain in the outside run game from losing DeMario. Addition by subtraction. Seems like all the long run plays we gave up were because Davis got juked on the edge and let the guy up the sideline.

NCJetsfan and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  13. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Did the Jets even explore trading Mo, though? Wasn't that all just the media and fans speculating? I was under the impression that MM never commented on trading him, but from the beginning my belief was that they were trying to get a deal done, rather than trade or have him play out the tag. I think that was the primary focus the entire time, it makes too much sense. Maybe I'm just in lala land right now because I'm so relieved.

14. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Was very happy to find this news out yesterday. I got the news alert saying that the deadline passed without signing him and wasn't too happy about that so to get the details of a long term deal a few minutes later was happy news to say the least.

15. Truth4U2

I agree, I think you're right on the mark with that. It prob. was Mac's plan all along to lock up his cornerstone defensive star long-term. That's why I quoted that article where Cimini points out that Mac is employing a better strategy than previous GM's, and I added that we finally have a GM who gets it.

It's all good in Jets land right now! :)

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I don't recall seeing it. That would be impressive if true.

17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Jet fans rejoice. Snacks or no Snacks this Jets defense will arguably be one of the best in the league. If we can control the middle of the field with faster and more agile safety/linebacker personnel, the season will be enjoyable as hell. We will not need a lot of points to win games, and we will keep offenses off the field instead of long/drawn out marches that gassed our D.
    Let us hope we have a season with minimal injuries.

NCJetsfan, Freddy Mondo and Altoona like this.
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I also would like to point out after this master move by Magic Mike that the total lack of insight and insider knowledge by the entire NY Sport's media reached an all time high. It seems the NY circus has officially moved upstate remarkably near Buffalo.

HomeoftheJets and BrowningNagle like this.
  19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

good point right there. we didnt hear a peep until it happened

20. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Not so enjoyable early on when 5 of our first 6 games are against playoff teams and the other is against the Bills.