Mo Wilkerson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NOVAJET, Apr 29, 2016.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

"(Mo Wilkerson) wanted to be paid more than JJ Watt.
    He is now paid more than JJ Watt." - Ian Rapoport

I will leave it at that.

Royal Tee and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Mike the Knife strikes again. And I am glad he is the Jets GM.

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

My guess as to the structure of Mo's contract:

Signing Bonus: 15M
    2016: 7M base, fully guaranteed, 10M cap hit
    2017: 16M base, 15M guaranteed, 19M cap hit
    2018: 16M base, 19M cap hit, 10M savings if cut
    2019: 16M base, 19M cap hit, 13M savings if cut
    2020: 16M base, 19M cap hit, 16M savings if cut
    (16.5M guaranteed for injury not included in guaranteed figures)

In addition, we now have a little under 9M of cap space. Just enough to squeeze Fitz in although we may have to restructure Skrine or cut a vet if we need to sign someone else. My guess at this point is that Macc plans on re-signing Fitz (or trading for a different QB). Otherwise there would have been no need to lower Mo's 2016 base salary.

NYJetsO12 and LIJetsFan like this.
  4. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

I've just woken up a little fuzzy after an evening at the cricket... This news has certainly helped clear my head. Great bloody news.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

We should've paid Snacks 10m to stay

James Hasty likes this.
  6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Isn't the guy we signed to replace him supposed to be even better or at least as good? Different type player for sure, I guess we will see. Anyway, Snacks contract is 46M with 24M guaranteed, that makes Wilk's look even better.

#406 Don, Jul 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  7. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

The money went to the right player, Mo deserves It

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I doubt it's that friendly, isn't he supposed to make 37M in the first 2 years and 54 in the first 3?

9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Things are going on behind the scenes and the MBLs like myself lose faith...my bad

We have to be on e of the top 5 defenses now imo,,,with the millions invested it better be lol

With the Mo signing and we get Fitz back the Vegas odds for a Jets SB improve astronaumically

#409 NYJetsO12, Jul 16, 2016
  10. DefenseWinsChampionships

As a fan I've just been patiently waiting for training camp to start. Didn't expect for us to lock up Wilkerson long-term & thought for sure we'd see Wilkerson wearing a rivals jersey either next year or the year after. Our front office locking up Mo to a contract at the age of only 26 was most definitely a pleasant surprise.

As the Giants have proven, the only way to beat Brady is constant pressure from your D-Line. We'll cross that bridge regarding Richardson once we get there but for the time being I'm pretty excited/anxious to see Mo, Sheldon & Williams (as a 2nd year player) all take the field this up coming season. Three animals right there.

In closing I'm still a firm believer that Defensr Wins Championship & i really appreciate these pieces we currently have under Bowles. A scary defensive line who can both stuff the run & provide constant pressure/chaos for opposing QB's, #24 Revis is still a top 5 type of lockdown corner, we're much younger @ OLB & feel we just drafted a gem opposite of Harris in D.Lee & this Calvin Pryor kid has pro bowl/all-pro type of potential. This defense can be really, really good.

Sorry for getting off topic but imo Wilkerson is the heart & soul of our defensive unit. Would've been disheartening to lose a home grown kid of his caliber & without question relieved knowing he'll at least be here into his young 30's throughout the next 5 years.

(This front office is really starting go grow on me. Very professional, doesn't rush things, plays hard ball & seems to really understand the complex situations of building a team) .

Dom, donkey, All Gas No Shake and 4 others like this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Snacks replacement will be by committee.

- Steve Mclendon who is a solid nose tackle coming from the Steelers, above average run blocker in limited reps
    - Deon Simon, our 7th rounder last year the coaching staff really liked
    - Jarvis Jenkins when we roll out 4 man fronts, came from the Bears had a solid year last year.

Those combined are cheaper then Snacks, and Jets should still be elite at stopping the run.

Nesquik likes this.
  12. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Call me crazy but I don't think we'll miss snacks at all.

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

We will miss him on 1st and 2nd down. Those 2nd &9, 3&7s that we always got will become 2&6, 3&3s instead. Which puts some more pressure on the D but can still be overcome with the talent we have.

Either way we had to let him walk because it was not possible to pay him what he got and he deserved a big pay day

Altoona and westiedog1 like this.
  14. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

Whatever we had to do to keep our 26-year old MVP of the defense on our team long-term is a good deal. It's as simple as that. Kudos to Mac for getting it done.

If that meant letting Snacks go, so be it. If that meant overpaying Wilk a little bit, so be it. Letting our best defensive player in his prime get away, especially when the D is the strength of our team and Bowles' strong suit, was not a reasonable option. Losing Mo would have been insane, and no amount of cost savings or adding marginal pieces would have offset that huge loss. Draft picks often don't pan out; Mo is a proven star, and probably the 2nd best DL after Watt.

#414 Truth4U2, Jul 16, 2016
    almbleamal likes this.
  15. greaser

greaser Well-Known Member

I like this but I'm not sure how much longer we have to build our team to beat Brady, as you mentioned.

My two cents; Mo makes Sheldon look better than he is. Kind of inflates Sheldon's production by gobbling up blockers. Glad to have both but making Mo a priority was a great move, even if the front office slow walked it.

16. DefenseWinsChampionships

I disagree. I really liked Harrison but no way in hell does/did Snacks create/make up for a difference of "3 yards per run". Let's not forget that Sheldon is still getting better & Williams will no longer be a rookie here as a 2nd year player.

If anything, Snacks will be the one who struggles and could become exposed as being overrated once he's no longer surrounded by the elite likes of Wilkerson & Richardson along with a run stuffer in Harris at MLB.

And it's not the other way around either.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Snacks might struggle because the Giants are dummies and making him play 4-3 DT instead of switching to 3-4 and letting him play nose. I don't understand why NFL free agency is all about shoving square pegs into round holes. You sign the best nose tackle in the league and don't put him at nose tackle?

18. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

You're overestimating his value. By a lot.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Doesn't your computer have a calculator?

$15M signing bonus plus $7M first year salary plus $16M second year salary comes to $38M first 2 years. Add the $16M third year salary and you have $54M.

RuJFan likes this.
  20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

we'll see guys. I hope you are right. I don't think I was overstating his value though, I even acknowledged that this defense should be okay without him, I'm just saying we will feel his loss on 1st and 2nd down. he was the immovable object on those downs and did more than people think in terms of stuffing the run.He wasn't just a big fatty that took up space, he had a nose for the ball carrier and the agility to find and take him down. We are replacing him with a big fatty, there will be a little drop off.

We had the best rushing defense in the NFL last year. least amount of rushing TDs and least amount by far of 1st downs gained by the rush. Harrison was a huge part of that. To think we wont notice the loss I think is a little too ambitious. Like I said, one of the reasons we led the NFL in least 1st downs by the rush is because we were putting them in 3rd and longs

Altoona likes this.