Mo Wilkerson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NOVAJET, Apr 29, 2016.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Why do we have to follow another team? There is no blueprint to win in the NFL and teams win unconventionally all of the time. Jets tried to be like the Patriots and failed. Jets tried to be a loud mouth Eagles team back with the Buddy Ryan days and the Jets failed.

I guess if we do this are we Jerry Jones and the Cowboys? You don't have to agree with me here, but I have my own stance on this. I believe in not letting your best players leave.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It doesn't depend on who the Jets pay going forward.

The Jets are going to become a consistent winner when they find the QB that lets them do that. Spending large sums at other positions isn't going to pay any benefits in the interim unless those positions are directly related to developing and maintaining the QB. Finding a franchise LT and making the line generally very good is one way to do that.

Paying one of many defensive players like he was a QB or franchise LT is not going to work in terms of making the Jets good. It's just going to put encumbrances unrelated to winning on the cap moving forward. It's going to raise expectations across the board for the other defensive players, like Revis massive contracts have done already.

I hope the Jets are smart enough not to fall in the trap of thinking that Mo is a Lawrence Taylor/Bruce Smith type talent who might arguably be worth that kind of money because he's not that.

It's unfortunate the the Eagles made a bad move with their DT, just like it was unfortunate when the Raiders gave Aso the big contract. It means the Jets have only one good option left and it's going to be an unpopular one, that being letting their suddenly way overpriced star go and replacing him as circumstances permit.

The Jets always seem to be on the wrong side of this situation.

When they had a good young QB they didn't pay to keep his best WR and to keep the line intact in front of him and the team collapsed, then revived and then collapsed for good.

When they had a great CB they folded and gave him the big deal and the team had one good year on that deal and then collapsed.

It's important to learn from your mistakes. Giving Mo a huge deal would be just repeating the Revis debacle. The offense will collapse again in a year or two because all the best players are 30 or better and the defense will do squat to actually win games in the presence of a moribund offense.

Free Agency BTW is the kiddie pool at the water park. Whenever you hear a big splash coming from it another kid has done a cannonball to soak everybody else but the next year they're standing by the kiddie pool again.

#122 Br4d, Jun 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  3. 101GangGreen101

Well until they find that QB, they should field the best team available, which is what they should do regardless. Ask yourself this, when do you believe the Jets will shell 100M on a QB? You going to just have it saved up for a lucky moment when some QB hits the market? It will never happen. If Hack becomes that guy, you have 4 to 5 years of him on that contract. If we signed Wilkerson to an extension today, that would have 0 effect on Hack getting a big deal down the road.

If Sheldon were a better person off the field, this argument would never happen but that is not the case. You need to sign 2 of those 3 guys in my opinion. Mo again, told you before on how good he is statistically, key piece of the defense that needs to stick around. He is a lot better then you give him credit for. A lot of Jet fans underrate Mo and fans need to appreciate him better because if he leaves, you'll be complaining about our defense if Leonard Williams doesn't take that next step.

almbleamal and BacktoQueens like this.
  4. Br4d

Mo's not worth the money. Period. You have to be an all-time great at DT/DE, a Joe Greene or a Bruce Smith to even get in that conversation of huge deal and still maybe worth it. Because bad teams that lose a lot have chosen to make that kind of commitment to their DT/DE's the last couple of years doesn't mean the Jets should make the same decision. Not unless they want to be one of those bad teams.

Did you love Mo Lewis as a Jet? I sure did. Would you have been overjoyed about paying him as if he was one of the two or three highest paid LB's in the business?

I didn't think so. It's the same thing.

Excellent player does not equate to 10%+ of the cap. It's a 22 starter game and you also have to pay for backups and special teams. There's no room to pay one guy 10%+ of your cap just to be an excellent player. He has to beyond exceptional, one of the greatest of all time, for that commitment to possibly make any sense and even then you can get burned with Revis being great and it just doesn't freaking matter because the only place franchise CB's actually win championships is in places that were already primed to do that and in Al Davis senile fantasies.

#124 Br4d, Jun 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

Eventually the way things are going, that contract won't be 10% of the cap which is what I have been saying the entire time. Even so, I have no issue paying Mo 8-10% of that because he makes everyone around him better. That means I can replace certain players around him. Jets also need to get creative with the contract.

Mo at the end of the day if he stays here will be a better Jet then Mo Lewis. I loved Mo Lewis too, but I think Mo is a better player. We can be a great team with Mo.

6. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Too many Mo's to keep track of.

_

NYJalltheway and NYJetsO12 like this.
  7. 101GangGreen101

Mo Mo, Mo problems!

NYJalltheway likes this.
  8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The way these contracts are going 18.8M doesn't sound so crazy for 2017. If we tell Mo we'll tag him again and are prepared to follow through, maybe we can sign him for a reasonable long term deal after all.

Either that or trade him for something decent.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I think we try to keep him tagged but the window of opportunity closed when Mac first came on board. He should have signed Mo right away before the market exploded...ridiculous sums for a DL even if he is good

10. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I'm just glad Mo has an s in his surname I can change to a $ when things really go sour.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Just wait until it's Sheldon's turn. He already signs his name with a $.

12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The market has exploded further thanks to the Eagles

Where was mac a year ago when signing Mo would be a lot cheaper? Is Bowles banking that LWilliams can replace Mo?

I guess the FO had their reasons for prolonging this mess and there are things we don't know

I do remember that The Jets invested heavily in Mevi$, Cro and the rest of the CB corp so Bowles could have "his shut down corners"

13. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

This is a fact too. lol.

14. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Well the good thing is ..

If (hope he doesn't but if) Sheldon gets suspended, Leo will again to showcase his talent. Hopefully he shows a lot of progression going into year 2 like Sheldon did.. then letting Mo walk won't be as difficult to stomach.

Would suck we didn't pull the trigger on a trade then though.. but the way the draft was going... if we really wanted to move up i don't think we had move Mo to get it done.

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

2nd year gm coming off a better than expected season won't pay his best defensive player.
    Seen this movie before

almbleamal and matt robinson 17 like this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

We get a first round pick for him then get him back three years later?

themorey likes this.
  17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

wouldn't we have heard about this by now if he was going to get suspended?

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

idk nsn.. were talking about Dickhead Goodell here. If hes upset about not getting laid last night he might wake up this morning and suspend Richardson.

I wouldnt be suprised if he gets a game

19. Br4d

The Jets folded in the end and paid Revis and the franchise collapsed.

I'm hoping that's not how this scenario ends.

Point to the playoff teams recently that have paid defensive players like they were QB's. The only guys that have been worth the mega-contracts, even at QB, were the guys who had already led their teams to a championship at some point.

The Seahawks are the only team that you can point at that paid a defensive player like a QB (Sherman) and even they have declined some and they already had the QB in house, a guy they also had to pay which contributed to the decline.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. Br4d

This is a nice fantasy to have but we've had Mo on a very cheap deal for 5 years and it hasn't worked out yet. Paying him a huge amount isn't going to improve that result.

I'm going to say that if Mo was clearly worth the huge deal there'd be no question of that at this point and he'd already have been signed to it, like J.J. Watt was.

He's not worth the franchise contract, period. You can't point to anything he's done over his career or anything that the Jets have done due to his contributions and make the case that he should be one of the highest paid players in football. The evidence just isn't there. If he was Joe Greene or Bruce Smith we'd know it already.

Top that off with he's becoming more fragile as he ages, which is true of almost all interior players and you wind up with a situation the Jets can't win unless they just back away from it.