Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Where are we using that money this year? Free agency is over. The crops have been harvested. We have a ton of money available next year. What are we saving money under the cap this year?

Irrational or not, Geno Smith displayed characteristics of a player that could improve, but will never be whom we or any franchise want him to be. Pocket presence doesn't just click for a player. They either have it or they don't. He has none of it, and if you hit early in the game, he feels the blitz for the next 3 quarters.

He does not read defenses well. Can that improve? Sure. But I don't really care, when you're throwing pick 6's in your 2nd year on screen passes.

I'm confident he will never be more than a backup. He's displayed everything one needs to see and got knocked out by his teammate (with no other player interfering) for being a cheap douchebag. He made a bad situation worse his first two years. Andrew Luck walked into a 2-14 situation with no defense or offensive line and the Colts are instantly a contender. With a very good defense, the Seahawks proved to be Superbowl-calibre team with a quarterback that gets it right from the get go. He doesn't have any qualities a winner has except a big arm.

TNJet, NYJetsO12 and BacktoQueens like this.
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Elite yes. Historically great no. Idk if you consider Denver's D historically great last year but Fitz is better than Manning was last year.

TNJet likes this.
  3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The Jets were rolling last year. They could have easily won in Cincinnati and then given Denver a good fight in the Divisional Round. If they win that, they are at New England for the Championship Game. They already beat the Patriots once, they could have pulled off a win there. Then you head to the Super Bowl against the Panthers. Not sure the Jets would match-up well, but if the Panthers laid an egg, the Jets could have hoisted the Lombardi Trophy. So a Super Bowl title is actually much closer than some may think. It is not easy for any team to win it, but the Jets had a legitimate chance if they would have gotten past Buffalo. Of course: They did not.

Burnz likes this.
  4. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

Denver D would have fucked Fitz up.

Jonathan_Vilma and Big Cat like this.
  5. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

The cap rolls over to next season now....it's not just under this year where you need to spend to the max. So if we spend $10 mil on Fitz this season we have essentially $10 mil less next year to play around with. Also you could always use the money to extend a player now

All of your Geno analysis is fine even though I disagree with some of it

It's more about Fitz than Geno to me though.

I don't want to waste a decent amount of money on a QB who has no upside or future here. I'd rather just let the young guys battle it out because they might have a future here and I don't see a huge downgrade anyway

It's as simple as that for me. Again if you think Fitz is good enough to make a super bowl run then sign him...but nothing in his career has ever led me to believe that he's even close to capable

6. Axel574

Axel574 Active Member

I consider myself I pretty optimistic fan but this is laughable. We couldn't beat Buffalo at home but we were going to topple Cincy, Denver and New England all on the road.

Don't kid yourself... Denver's defense last season was on, and still is on, a different planet than ours. We have a great line and an above average secondary but our linebackers are a liability when they're not stuffing predictable run, down and distance plays.

Doreblade likes this.
  7. The Dark Knight

Haha, if Buffalo did, Denver certainly would have. Having said that, I think the Jets D could have handled the Broncos offense.

8. HomeoftheJets

I think we would have beaten Cincy because Dalton was out. But we would have lost to Denver in the next round.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  9. The Dark Knight

No, someone posted the Jets D would have had to be historically great to win the SB. I was just pointing out they were closer than people think. Just showed what the road would have been to win the Super Bowl. Difficult, but not impossible.

TNJet and NYJetsO12 like this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We may have gotten shutout by Denver in the playoffs. I've never seen a pass rush take over the game like they did vs. New England (maybe 07' Giants vs. Brady ironically). Regular season may have been a different story but they would've destroyed us in Denver IMO.

TNJet likes this.
  11. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Denver's post season matchups really showcased their strengths on D.
    especially that NE game...as NE's offensive tackle situation was a mess.

the Jets also played NE's offense very tightly both games.
    Lets hope their Oline remains a mess..

12. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

It is impossible to win the Super Bowl when you do not make the playoffs. -- So you are incorrect it was impossible and we were nowhere near close.

If you want to think and believe that a 34 year old QB who hasn't sniffed the playoffs his entire career realistically was or is next year going to all of a sudden turn into a different player and make a playoff run, god bless you because I do not have that kind of blind optimism.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I would historically disappointed if our 2016 defense, considering the way the FO has pumped millions of dollars and high round draft picks into it, isn't one of the best in the NFL

14. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

15. Will

Will Well-Known Member

The OP is not saying they would have but in certain circumstances a case could be made for each to lose to the Jets - exactly as he pointed out.

Until the Bills game the Jets were hot and had begun to take on the mantle of the wild card no-one wants to play as on any given Sunday - was it probable no was it possible yes (at least to a Jets fan like me who has suffered since the eraly 80's - any chance even a 1% chance is hope.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets D was one of the best in the NFL last year against a weak schedule and with Fitzpatrick having a career year and that turned into only 10 wins and no playoffs.

They're going to have to be great this year, probably historically great, to improve upon last season against a tougher schedule. Fitzpatrick isn't the difference between the Jets making the playoffs and missing them. The difference is going to have to come somewhere else.

17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

As soon as Bowles figures out the game clock and when to lay down the law when the team starts to slide we will be getting somewhere hah

Curious to know what you think the difference maker will be?

18. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Geezuz Christ.

If we get the same play from Fitz and a fucking high school punter last year we make the playoffs going away.

Holy shit Brad.

_

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

Special teams. Our special teams must have been close to 2010 Chargers level last season. I think that could be 2-3 wins right there. And that comes with depth, which I feel this team is actually starting to build up for once.

On the fence about Fitz. The reason I would be for signing Fitz is the the same reason I'd want to sign Mo: The intangibles. The downside is cost.

20. HomeoftheJets

Brad's factoring in the tougher schedule this year. I think our D has to be top 5 but not historically great.