Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

If one of these three morons we have at QB could just step up and be the guy for the next 7+ years, we will be a force in the AFC for a long time.

Until we find that steady and consistent presence at QB, it's all a dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jersey Joe 67 likes this.
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Which successful teams in the league right now committed to rebuilding for a few years before they got good? Also, which successful teams didn't?

3. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

If we are just talking QBs of playoff teams, Seahawks, Vikings, Bengals, Packers, Redskins, Panthers, Steelers and Patriots all had QBs that they developed in house. Cards, Broncos, KC, and Houston (mostly) all have QBs who played elsewhere. So 8 out of 12 (75%). To the extent you are asking me for a detailed statistical analysis of every successful team in the league's drafting, FA, and cap strategy since 2000, go ahead and ask PFF - I'm sure they can come up with some algorithm to figure it out in a way that is essentially worthless.

4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong in drafting for success...Even with a win now team

We are essentially doing that now

If you go to the Official NYJ Roster, at this moment out of 68 on the roster 17 are vets of 5 or more years- 17% 21 are players with1-2 years exp-31% and 30 listed as rookies-48%

Taken together players with 0-2 years experience account for 79% of the team

I bet we have the same ratio after the Turk cuts the roster down to 53 guys

5. HomeoftheJets

None of the teams you mentioned in this post had a rebuilding plan in which they sucked for a few years like you said. First of all, of those teams that drafted their QBs, only the Panthers and Steelers drafted them in the top 10. So that's 2 out of 8 teams who needed to suck to get their QBs. Looking at those teams one by one:

Seahawks: Went 5-11, then hired Pete Carroll. Went 7-9 twice under him. Drafted Russell Wilson and then the winning started.
    Vikings: Went 5-10-1, then hired Mike Zimmer and drafted Teddy Bridgewater. Went 7-9 once before the winning started.
    Bengals: Went 2-14, then hired Marvin Lewis and drafted Carson Palmer. Went 8-8 twice then went 11-5. Had some up and down seasons after that. Then drafted Andy Dalton and went on a playoff streak.
    Packers: Did well with Brett Favre and Mike Sherman. Then went 4-12 for one season and hired Mike McCarthy and drafted Aaron Rodgers. Went 8-8 the next year, then got one last playoff run out of Brett Favre. After a down year in Rodgers's first year playing, they became a SB contender.

Redskins: Strange case because they aren't consistent winners. The losing was interrupted by a great RG3 rookie year and last year. It's worth noting that the Skins hired Scott McCloughan before last year.
    Panthers: Went 2-14, then hired Ron Rivera and drafted Cam Newton. Two losing seasons and then the winning started. Probably the closest thing to an actual rebuilding plan.
    Steelers: Hired Bill Cowher back in 1992. Went 11-5 his first year. After numerous winning seasons had one down season and used it to draft Ben Roethlisberger. Eventually Mike Tomlin took over, but the team was winning the whole time.
    Patriots: Hired Bill Belichick who immediately drafted Tom Brady. Went 5-11 the first year, Brady took the job, and we know the rest.

Meanwhile, the teams that got veteran QBs definitely didn't tank. They all got new regimes though. Cards with Arians, Broncos with Elway/Fox, Chiefs with Andy Reid, and Texans with Bill O'Brien.

So it seems the way to win is to get a new regime and a new QB and hope you made the right moves. If you did, the winning starts within a season or two, no rebuilding necessary. If not, you try again after a few years. Hopefully we'll be the next team to fit that narrative. Went 4-12, hired Maccagnan and Bowles and brought in Fitz, then went 10-6. After that, who knows? But based on the history of other winning teams, a rebuild is not the way to go.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I actually LOLed :)
    "BB immediately drafted TB"... in the 6th round.
    Then carefully developed him (until starter was injured). Brilliant Plan by BB!

Sounds like something coming out of doped up Steve Grogan

Ralebird and JetsVilma28 like this.
  7. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Double post...

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Fair enough. Roethlisberger was drafted 11th overall, but the point is taken. This isn't baseball where you break it down and build it up, or the NBA or tank and get the best player in the draft (which obviously doesn't work with shit management in Philly proving the point).

This is why it blows my mind why people don't want Fitzpatrick back because he's a journey-man. He gives us the best chance to win next year. That's what's important.

TNJet and NYJetsO12 like this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

I agree. And you're right, Roethlisberger was the 11th pick. For some reason I thought he went in the top 10.

10. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

It's just not that simple though.....Fitz being here creates a few issues:

1. The money spent on him could be used to help shore up the team in the future

2. It prevents us from getting a final evaluation on Geno

3. It prevents Petty from possibly winning the job or gaining experience on the field

I'd be all in on Fitz if I thought he could lead us far in the playoffs....but I don't so it's just a waste to me in money and in QB evaluations for the future of the franchise

We also aren't positive he is the best option....and if he is it's probably marginally IMO. I've seen people on here say Fitz is 6 wins better than Geno which is insane but sure that's their opinion

So yeah he may seem like the best option for next season but if it's not good enough then it's a bad move.....It's not my idea of good business to pay extra for the right to tread water in mediocrity

FJF likes this.
  11. NYJetsO12

By that argument you must be putting Ryan F among the "every top 10 QB"

How nice of you to say that lol

12. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

What's important is good bones and calcium. I wish it upon thee!

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

13. NYJetsO12

On NFL network they asked SMarriuci if he was T Bowles how badly would he want RF back

Said the "Jets are just so close to a PO run with 10-6 last year you gotta "pay the man ...and get Fitz back"

Hey..well what does he know.haha

TNJet likes this.
  14. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Did Marriuci also happen to mention that Lynch is the best QB since the sliced bread and that Bowles should've drafted him instead of Lee?

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

What money? $12 million that will be freed up by cutting our God awful right tackle when he signs? The money argument is a cop out. Every team (or damn near it) in the league pays more money at the quarterback position then we do. The funds need to be allocated there then they should. We have plenty of cap space next year by the way.

Most have gotten a final evaluation of Geno after two years of starting. We shouldnt sign the better player so that we can give other guys the opportunity to start? What is this? Little League? Russell Wilson went to Seattle as a mid-round rookie and TOOK the starting job. One of the problems with this franchise is making the position so easy for youngsters to acquire. Geno, nor Sanchez earned the job, yet were given it because shit you're the only guy on the roster if we don't want to see Mark Burnell break his hip.

I think he's multiple-wins better than Geno. I also think he's going to be back here regardless, rather he and his agent are trying to squeeze every dime they can out of the Jets they can. He has no where near a better option than to make $12 million next year AND start. I'm convinced he'll be a Jet which is why I'm not sure why everyone's so worriedm

NYJetsO12, cval and TNJet like this.
  16. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

No... But i love how you keep trying to switch my words up on each post. Anything to defend what I said about you being too over sure about Geno never being able to be "Ryan F."?? or we just gonna play your little sarcasm games? lol..

17. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

He should have said it.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

He's not Skip Bayless. He doesn't say absurdly wrong things knowing they are wrong just to get a reaction.

19. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

It's not a cop out...if we don't waste money on Fitz we can use that money any way you want to put it. Cut the right tackle too even better and more money

Most other teams in the league are spending money on a real franchise QB. Why should we waste money on a bandaid?

Not sure how you can say Geno can't be a different player than what we saw in his 1.5 years starting right from the start in a terrible situation but again that's your opinion...I've already spent too much time on that issue and some people are irrational about it.

Anyway my main point...I do not believe Fitz is a good QB capable of taking us far. His career has led me to this and last year he had everything in his favor and he still couldn't get it done

I don't care if he is considered the best or safest option if we have to pay extra for it. He's not good enough to go get to me...If he was already on the roster then fine I would have him battle it out with the young guys

FJF likes this.
  20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

For the Jets to win a Super Bowl with Fitzpatrick the defense would have to be great, maybe historically great.