Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Agree he's being a Diva but from what I am reading in and off TGG giving Geno the QB job is an even greater downside

So like I've said before the choice is mediocre Fitz vs disaster Geno

The team spends tens of millions on defensive player contracts eg Skrine Cromartie and of course Revis and because of that two players we need, RF and Mo, short and long term, are problems for Mac

Give Fitz 9 mill each in year 2 and 3 of a front loaded 3 year deal instead of six and see if that works

#3881 NYJetsO12, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    TNJet likes this.
  2. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

coming from south Florida and knowing people that went to high school with him and hearing some stories I would say otherwise

3. NYJetsO12

Fitz can't win when we need it vs Geno who can't win at all. Which do you want? Pick your poison lol

Truth be told, millions of dollars have been spent on defensive guys eg Revis without blinking an eye with mixed results

Yes I felt let down completely after 2 Buffalo losses esp the last one but Fitz contract will surely not break the bank and he is a safer option than Geno

Jmho

4. NYJetsO12

+1000

The last paragraph is the one everyone the TGG should read about five times : "We are a team built to win now"

Smith will never get Gaileys system the way Fitz does...end of story

We have to resign Fitz and play his game or 2016 a complete waste of talent

SMH how few people get this

5. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

It's true man... i could care less about all the franchise records he broke... those weak ass records... they will get broken again before Marshall retires.

6. JetLifeLo

How the hell do you know this? .... You don't. Actually all we know is that Geno has been doing really well understanding Gailey's playbook. He's had a whole season to sit and learn it... and watch Fitz play in it. Honestly last summer Geno was flourishing more in the system than Fitz was... until IK happened. Gailey's voice will be right in Geno's ear in games..he'll get help with the pre-snap stuff. The pre-snap stuff is literally the only reason Fitz was prospering to some degree.. those nasty wobbily passes fell into the hands of wide open WR's more often than not for a reason.. and Geno is one hell of a runner from the QB position..so Fitz's scrambles won't be missed much.

Geno has finally gotten the chance to sit and learn like he should have been doing from the get go... He finally has a decent o-line... he finally has good WR's... He finally has GOOD COACHING... and he finally has a GOOD DEFENSE.. (2013 and 14 were jokes defensively compared to what we have seen over the last decade damn near).

IF geno flunks this chance now (if he gets the chance) then it's safe to let him go at the end of the year as his contract expires... but 2013 and 14 seasons were not fair to Geno Smith. In my eyes THIS is Geno's real rookie year. Despite the odds that were heavily against him... he did fairly well in his rookie season.

The same excuses people make for Hack after his freshman year (shit coaches, o-line, weapons, TEAM) are the same excuses that could and SHOULD be made for Geno's first two seasons... which realistically shouldve been spent from the bench.

There isn't really anything that Fitz can do better than Geno... sometimes he can make better decisions but that comes with experience... not to mention fitz still makes plays just as boneheaded as a young Geno would make.

#3886 JetLifeLo, Jun 8, 2016
  7. NYJetsO12

Ok if Mac f*cks up the Fitz negotiations you may very well get your wish

Frankly I am tired of excuses after decade s of waiting for a deep run at the playoffs and a SB

My belief in Fitz is based in results: He had some of his best years in Buffalo with Gailey and more recently took us to 10-6 in Gaileys system

In sum your argument for Geno is based on a lot of Maybes and Hope he does well, hope he is capable of learning Chans system. Maybe if Geno started last year he could have done as well as Fitz??? We don't know that ...I do know that Geno was ranked 32nd in the league and had an 8-8 record for us . Not a exactly a stellar resume as compared with Fitz who got us 31 TDs and a winning season

8. NYJetsO12

Lol

Yes those records can be broken by anybody...

Forget Geno.....Let's bring back Sanchez and Tajh Boyd

Ahaha this is getting funny

9. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Tossing over 30 TD's in a season isn't a Herculean task these days. It's been done over 100 times with numerous QB's doing it on more then one occasion. The guy had a solid OL and a pair of very good receivers to throw to. He also had a solid running game for a good part of the season.

What other franchise records did he break?

Fitz had a nice season last year. Just about as good as you could hope for from a journeyman who's (still) never made the playoffs.

You have to figure, though, that if Mac believed next year could be the year, he'd sign Fitz at all costs. He either doesn't have the money or doesn't believe that the Jets can contend, with or without Fitz. If they can't, then throwing franchise money at an aging QB who has a poor track record is a terrible move.

#3889 Jets81, Jun 8, 2016
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Knowing people that went to school with him? What did those people say otherwise? Just because they went to school with him proves nothing anyway. I went to school with a lot of people that I didn't know very well, if at all, and vice versa. Much of what they think or "heard" was 2nd or 3rd hand to them. I wonder how much it has changed and been embellished since then.

11. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

You my friend... Are the winner.

12. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Just stop. If you are basing your asinine beliefs on results, then you are just hoping for more mediocrity. In 11 years as a pro, where in those results you ar so adamant about does Fitz have a deep run in the playoffs? When has he even led a team to the playoffs? When, before last year, has he led a team to a winning record? You trash Geno for his two years as a starter yet forgive Fitz for his eleven years of mediocrity, culminating in last year's disaster in Buffalo. Last year was as good as it gets with Fitz - and it's all downhill from there. His game has serious limitations and is solely reliant upon the system. You want a clutch QB - It ain't Fitz! You want a franchise QB who can carry a team - It ain't Fitz! He is a safe one or two year stopgap who can maintain mediocrity while we wait for one of our QBs to develop and give the current FO an opportunity to develop talent around him. The team's offer reflects that reality. If Fitz wants to continue playing hardball, I say fuck him and his demands - He just isn't worth the money.

13. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

That is exactly the case....But who wants that? I'm sick of picking around 20 in the draft and just missing out of the playoffs by one game...the league is littered with these type of teams every season and the Jets seem to be there quite often

Atleast one or more of the Fitz guys have admitted in this thread that they're more interested in watching an entertaining season...I agree Fitz is the easy choice for that but I'm more interested in the long term success of the franchise. Throwing anything more than backup money at someone like Fitz is just bad business any way you slice it in my eyes.

It's funny how the Pro-Fitz crowd will blast some of us for just going on hope but atleast it's not proven over a 10+ year career. To expect Fitz to somehow be good enough all of a sudden after how he's played his whole career is relying on a crazy amount of hope.

NCJetsfan, FJF and Jetaho like this.
  14. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

The billboard crowd demand mediocrity and won't stand for 4-12 or 5-11 seasons. There has never been any patience with this team to develop young players, and we just chase after veteran names on the downside of their careers to prop up the team for the sake of appeasing those wanting to be entertained. As a result, we are not good enough to compete for a SB and not bad enough to draft premier talent.

JetLifeLo, NCJetsfan and The 1985er like this.
  15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

So how many games should the Jets throw every year to get that magic draft pick?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. JetLifeLo

sorry but every single year... every top 10 QB would break just about all of our franchise records.

17. JetLifeLo

Yeah it's a lot of maybe and hope thats true.. but it's also logic in there that for any other young QB they would get a pass for... Hack is already getting passes for all that stuff at the COLLEGE level!

18. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I'm not looking for the team to throw games. Just commit to a rebuilding plan and stick with it even if it means we suck for a few years. We are far too quick replacing young players with overpriced veterans IMO.

19. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

The Jets will always be a good enough to be picking within 15-20 for the rest of our lives... Few odd years of 4-12 will happen but those years of course there will be no projected 1st round QB's.

This is what you signed up for, I don't know why you think this is going to change.

Ever.

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

To stay competitive is what the Jets are looking to do. Getting a ticket to the big dance and anything can happen, if we got in last year, I think the Jets could've made some noise. To have that chance to contend is all I ask for as a Jets fan. Hopefully we continue to hit on draft picks and see where things go. That's where we are right now.