Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

How dare you.

_

2. JStokes

He was almost a zero read guy at WVU and made his killing on shovel passes to Austin and Steadman Bailey. He's not a smart guy, doesn't process things quickly pre and post snap. That's an inherent thing, not learned. All his God given physical talents won't make up for that. Folks blaming Rex and Morningweg never saw him in college, never saw him continuing that his first two years.

Changing OCs and putting talent around him isn't going to change that.

Wanting it isn't going to make it so.

Elite QBs in the NFL combine a massive football IQ with physical talent.

Hope is not a long term strategy for success.

_

NYJetsO12 and RochesterJet like this.
  3. JStokes

Doesn't see pre and post snap things.

It's not an indictment, it just is what it is.

Could we win games with that?

Sure.

Not long term competitiveness.

_

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Why? How do you know? Are you a sports psychologist? A mind reader? I get that that is your opinion, but that doesn't make it a fait accomplis.

5. JStokes

Because he has a low football IQ.

_

6. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Doesn't have the gift to envision things before they happen. Will hesitate still even after they happen in his favor. I'll be surprised if he can get beyond that.

7. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

When Geno was drafted it was widely accepted that he was a project QB who should spend no less than 2 seasons with a clipboard glued to his hands.
    Then Rex happened.
    Here we are season 3 where the game should have slowed down for him. If Fitz won't sign for a reasonable amount then I have no problem with putting Geno behind center.

LIJetsFan, FJF and King Koopa like this.
  8. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

No doubt the speed sweep/shovel pass was a huge part of their offense but he was throwing the ball all over the place as well....I watched him a ton in college too, I saw West Virginia drop 70 on Clemson in the Orange Bowl - I think it was Geno's Junior year. He was a Heisman candidate early on in his senior year and then the whole team (including Geno) struggled down the stretch....other than that he was really good throughout college

"Almost a zero read guy at WVU"...you find that as a negative but that is one of the reasons why I feel he could be better in the NFL with proper coaching and development (which he has been getting for the last year). I think it's a little unfair to just say not a smart guy that can't process things quckly pre and post snap and call it a day.....A big reason why he looked like a deer in the headlights playing right out of the gate was it was his first time playing in an NFL offense with shit coaching as well and not much help around him.

Of course a project QB coming out of a spread air raid - 1 read offense might look clueless out there half the time in his first year and a half starting from day one in the NFL

Why not see the finished product before throwing in the towel?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Wow! He sure put a lickin' on ...James Madison?

NYJetsO12 and Jets69 like this.
  10. King Koopa

What are you talking about? He played great throughout his college career against mainly big schools

"As a senior in 2012, Smith finished the season with 4205 passing yards, 42 touchdowns, a 71.2 completion percentage and only 6 interceptions."

Soph - 24/7
    Junior- 31/7

11. Ralebird

I'm talking about the video to which I responded. Try to keep up.

12. King Koopa

Marshall, one play against JMU, and Maryland....Again what is your point when he played and beat up big time competition?

The point of the video was to show that he didn't just only throw jet sweep passes....there's plenty of other highlight videos that aren't against JMU if it makes you feel any better

13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

What does this have to do with psychology? If Geno starts he'll most likely fail because it's very rare for a QB that bad through two seasons to become competent.

14. Ralebird

Swell. Highlight reels are nonsense because they are just a handful of cherry picked plays from a whole season. Even a blind squirrel finds an occasional nut.

15. King Koopa

Understood....I wasn't trying to say wow look at Geno it was just meant to show others that he threw the ball downfield a lot in college if you read the original post by Stokes

And he put up monster stats so I wouldn't call it an occasional nut

16. Ralebird

Monster Stats in the NCAA don't mean shit in the NFL. But you knew that.

17. King Koopa

Also true....So why the wow James Madison and blind squirrel comments when he put up great numbers against mainly good competition in the first place?

It's doesn't mean much now that he did well in college but no reason to be disingenuous is all

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. Ralebird

You put up a video to prove a point.
    It didn't.
    You put up stats to prove a point.
    They didn't.

I'm done playing.

19. King Koopa

Haha whatever you say....it was meant to show him doing other things so how does that not prove the point? You want me to post full game videos?

Your comment about JMU meant nothing and was irrelevant...also was really dumb because he lit up good teams so again why even say that to be funny or smart? Just stupid

Done as well

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Because mental state, attitude or motivation are key. Look at how many football players with subpar talent or less than ideal height/size make it on heart and desire. Some have posited than Geno has a sense of entitlement and a poor work ethic. I don't think he's as dumb as many here do or that his football IQ is as awful as some think. In the breakdown of the Oakland game that someone posted, there were quite a few plays where Geno read the Ds accurately and made good decisions. At least some of his dumb mistakes may have been due to nervousness, lack of poise and confidence, or because he was pressing, trying too hard to make something happen. If he relaxes, is more confident and poised, his talent and ability can take over. There have been several reports that he is more relaxed, poised, confident, showing more leadership, playing well in OTAs.

IMO there is reason for hope and some belief that he can play as well as Fitz. He may never have as high a football IQ as Fitz, but can compensate for that with a stronger, more accurate arm, greater athleticism and youth. Geno could possibly play well enough that with our D, the Jets could make the playoffs and do just as well, if not better, than with Fitz at QB. At least with Geno, the opposing D wouldn't be able to cheat up close to the LOS and force him to beat them deep as they could with Fitz.

#3820 NCJetsfan, Jun 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    Will and King Koopa like this.