Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You're right, it isn't, but again, that was with Rex as HC, and in Mornhinweg's offense, not Chan Gailey's.

LIJetsFan likes this.
  3. zace

zace Well-Known Member

But he still struggled early on so that isnt an excuse. If youre on the field you need to perform.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

4. HomeoftheJets

He had four bad games last year: Philly, Buffalo, Houston, and Buffalo again. In two of them he was hurt. You're right that if you're on the field you need to perform. Interestingly the coaching staff chose to put Fitz on the field knowing that he was hurt when they had a healthy option in Geno ready to go. But they didn't do that.

LIJetsFan likes this.
  5. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Still the ESPN article is clear that the front office is not totally sold on the better WRs making Geno why they are trying to resign Fitz - but equally their stance in not bidding against themselves and just caving in to Fitz's demands show that they are equally not sold on the fact that with better weapons that he would not improve or that Fitz is the only solution.

I also read an article from some time back where Colon - a critic of Geno's - said if Fitz holds out / goes elsewhere that Geno deserves the start

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...k-leaves-geno-is-ready-to-start-for-the-jets/

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/03/willie_colon_if_ryan_fitzpatrick_walks_geno_smith.html

Given his knowledge of the mood of the locker room it is an interesting stance

We fans need to simply support whoever lines up under center week 1

#3745 Will, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    NCJetsfan, LAJet and HomeoftheJets like this.
  6. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

It ok for Fitz's fan to use his hand injury as a excuse? But not for us Geno backers to say he had some horrible teams.

7. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Or Geno getting his ass kicked by a tranny lover

Jets69 likes this.
  8. HomeoftheJets

Sure, you can use that excuse for Geno. It doesn't change my mind about the Fitz situation, but it's valid enough.

9. zace

zace Well-Known Member

He wasnt great the other 12. Those are just the four got remember most. He was subpar to good.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Seems to me we are all attempting to interpret how the front office sees the whole Fitz/Geno situation and in so doing we are putting our own spin based on personal bias and emotional preference.
    If we were to step back a second and look at it from Mac's perspective we might be able to unemotionally put this issue in focus.

1- The fact that the Jets made a major effort to bring Fitz back in 2016 simply solidifies the point that the team does not want to go into the season with Geno alone. That to me is clear. I can see that rational 100%. There is no one behind Geno that is remotely ready to come in and start if Geno fails miserably or gets hurt. So Fitz or not Geno is still a Jet player come 2016.
    2- It says very little really about how Geno has been progressing , or not, and if he could actually be a better option than Fitz in the coaches eyes. They simply can not afford to go with Geno alone
    3- There is no question in anyone's mind that Fitz is not a long term option. It says volumes to the fact that they need to see both of them in camp and determine who of the two gives us the best option to win games based on a no shit training camp competition. Fitz is absolutely capped skill wise, Geno is a big unknown.
    4- Fitz will enter training camp as #1 but might not exit the preseason as the starter. Mac and Todd do not give two shits about ego, they simply want the best option to help us win games.
    5- They in parallel want to develop young QBs and see if they are the long term answer. Not throw them to the wolfs and screw any chance for them and the team to succeed.
    6- So Mac is desperately trying to reach a financial balance the Jets can accommodate but Fitz is overplaying his hand. That might turn out to be the Achilles heal for all sides.

I just want training camp to bring this annoying issue to close

NCJetsfan and RuJFan like this.
  11. jetsons121

jetsons121 Member

Start Petty then

12. barkus

barkus Well-Known Member

Get a clue, petty can't even complete passes in OTAs but you want him to start?

LIJetsFan and Geno007 like this.
  13. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Pretty much, even Mike Francesa would play better than Geno Smith

14. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

You're not nearly as witty as you think you are. And I'm giving you a huge benefit on the doubt on "you think".

15. GordonGecko

The amnesia in this room is off the charts. All of sudden it's time to "give Geno a chance and see what he can do". NEWSFLASH: he can't do anything, he's a fucking loser who can't take advantage of his physical skills because he's a mental coward who can't take pressure situations or think on his feet. He has no future in the NFL, CFL, or even the los Gringos Tijuana Football League

16. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Not sure what you and a few others are not comprehending.

I never said that management has confidence in Smith.
    I said that do not have "no confidence" in him as many on this board are suggesting.

If they did not think of Smith as an option, they would have pulled the trigger on a Hoyer, RG3 or given in to Fitz's contract demands.
    They have not done so because they are not going to over pay when they have an option on the bench that in the grand scheme of things is not really going to significantly change the amount of W's next year.

LIJetsFan likes this.
  17. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Newsflash:
    Geno was playing with Clyde and was coached by Rex fucking Ryan. If you think Rookie + Rex + Clyde is the same as 3rd year + Gailey + Marshall, you're a moron.

Now, I don't THINK that Geno will click. I THINK his mistakes were mostly mental and not likely fixable.

You on the other hand, appear to be ROOTING for Geno to fail while you should be hoping that he didn't.

LIJetsFan likes this.
  18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

"Preposterous!"

19. GordonGecko

If the Prophet Mohamed comes back as Donald Trump's VP running mate, Kim Kardashian marries a plumber, and Geno Smith all of a sudden becomes a competent NFL quarterback then yes I will be shocked and eat all the crow in the world and be happy for the team. I "think" that probably won't happen though

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

It not ok to use a excuse