Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Based on what Fits has made the past four seasons, he should be happier than hell having a starting job paying $8M a season, possibly as high as $12M with incentives. I say the Jets should raise the offer to $10M a year with him getting a guaranteed $10 in season 1, a guaranteed $6M in season 2, and nothing guaranteed in season 3. With each year having $2M in possible incentives to be the $36M contract the Jets are offering now. This would Help the Jets with the cap and give Fitz more guaranteed money and more likely to be earned money, but keep the whole contract at $36 for 3 years.

The Jets need to give a solid deadline for Fitz to sign. Everyone knows his agent never signs anything until the deadline. For one offseason the Jets were not going to be a joke, but they found a way.

2. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Thats a great way to lose the first 6 games under Geno Smith

Seems like there's a good chance the Jets are going to play hardball (stupidball) to the grave with the only guy who can make the team competitive

3. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I told you to wait for it.

_

irishwhip03 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  4. JStokes

Let it go. Jax, Oakland, Minny, Tennessee and TB were all MUCH worse teams and situations than the team Geno inherited.

_

5. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

In the case of Geno I would like nothing better than to eat crow and that this guy turn into the QB we have all been wanting for years,,,,,but it is hard to change what you are, rarely people do change but this guy is not going to just become a leader or better player by some act of god. You can blame many things on immaturity but he will not just wake up one day and have the light go on in his head, it was only a short year ago that he was punched in the jaw for being an ass ! He pouted on draft day, had a hissy fit and almost was a no show on day 2. He never had to take a snap from under center and read a defense while in college and was always in the shotgun, big change in the NFL . There were rumors in college that his team mates did not like him and or invite him to functions .Back to pouting, this guy still pouted on the bench when things did not go his way and his body language much like Sanchez drives me nuts . I don't want Fitz back for 12 million this year and for now that leaves Geno but let's face it the only reason Geno is still on this roster is he make$ hardly any money . I am almost certain that if we move on from Fitz the Jets will bring in or trade for a QB unless they see what I dont and its that the leopard has somehow changed his spots.

6. LIJetsFan

LIJetsFan Active Member

His game/stats were improving his last few games under center. His TC was reportedly going well. While riding the bench he was reportedly of good attitude/demeanor/work ethic. He came in cold in relief of Fitz, lacking in reps as #2's are wont, and did ok albeit it with a few bonehead plays. So far his OTA's seem to be an ok continuation of his "progress".

It seems to me a legit case can be made that he has been growing into his role. Not all of a sudden but over time, as might be expected. Since Fitz is not worth what he is asking, I want to see what Geno's got.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Only in your mind and a few others. It's called being smart and using sound financial principles. Sorry that you can't understand them.

Imagesrdecieving and LAJet like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

You're the one who is being stupid. Mac is being smart and financially prudent, not overpaying for a JAG. This team has had dumbass GMs for the last 20 years who overpaid players much more than they were worth. Those days are gone, thank God. If you can't understand, appreciate, and accept that, perhaps you'd be happier rooting for another team, because you're not going to be happy with the Jets for the next 20 years and that's how long Mac is going to be here (at least).

#3708 NCJetsfan, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

When Macc had cap space he overpaid Revis, Cromartie, and maybe Skrine depending on your POV. He isn't immune to overpaying players.

NYJetsO12 and Jets69 like this.
  10. JStokes

Holy shit.

_

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Fitzpatrick Happy Moments:
    [​IMG]
    Stay positive fellas. :)

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The Dark Knight likes this.
  13. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

How does not caving to Fitz's demands make the Jets the joke? I would say this situation has shown the opposite.

14. NCJetsfan

As you said, it depends upon one's point of view. Even if one agrees that perhaps Mac did overpay Revis, Cromartie and Skrine, one can make a fairly strong case that he had to at that time due to the sorry state in which the team was, especially the defensive backfield. Those players gave the team stability and instant respect, and helped set the foundation not only for Bowles' D, but for establishing a winning atmosphere. Also, even if one accepts or agrees with that point of view that Mac overpaid those three, it doesn't mean that he has to continue to overpay players. The team now has a new identity and new-found respect. Mac has been able to add key pieces to the D and offense, added speed and playmaking ability on both sides of the ball, and the team is competitive. It is not in the desperate situation it was before. The D alone is good enough to keep this team from going far below a .500 record.

Skrine was the first one signed, so it makes sense that he would have had to have been overpaid (as almost all FAs who are worth a darn are). I despised Revis by the time he left the Jets, and personally as a Jets fan would not have re-signed him, but I can definitely understand why Mac did, and now think it was probably the right thing to do. I have even come to respect and appreciate Revis again. I was against re-signing Cro initially, but then when he kept saying how much he wanted to come back to the Jets with Bowles, I changed my mind, but thought it should be for a much cheaper deal than he signed. He is the only player that I think Mac made a mistake in overpaying.

Giving Fitz what he wants would be akin to being a lemming. Just because other GMs were desperate (crazy?) and handed out ridiculous FA contracts to QBs, doesn't mean that Mac should follow suit. I take the long term view. One isolated season means nothing. To some fans however, it is clear, that they would sacrifice the future for immediate gratification for the present year. I think that perspective is nuts, short-sighted, impatient, selfish and not in the best interests of the team or its fans.

LIJetsFan likes this.
  15. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Cromartie was just a one year deal so that was no big deal. Mac had to bring Revis back and sometimes you just overpay for HOFers. I may not agree but understand. Skrine -- sometimes there are bad signings because you overvalue and overestimate and player's abilities.

Nobody is arguing Mac is beyond making such mistakes but having made such a mistake on one player certainly doesn't mean that should mean Mac should just make the same mistakes with every player.

16. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Ok let me break it down for you. The problem was the average annual amount of the offer and how it was broken down in years 2 & 3.

By paying Fitz $1M in year 1 with a $9 million signing bonus the Jets would be on the hook for only $4M this season. This could easily be made by cutting either cutting Smith or restructuring a contract. The Jets are offering only $8M a year average, but by making his contract $10M in years 2 & 3 its a $6M raise over the current offer.

In year 2 he could be guaranteed $6, and make the remaining $4M a roster bonus due on March 31st, so he doesn't worry about being held on to until June 1st or later, and then being cut when there is no chance to sign with another team. In year 3 make $5M a roster bonus due on March 31, thus giving him some further assurance.

17. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

Meanwhile....nothing happened.

18. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Haha "is this live?!"

19. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

186 and counting shall we go for 200? Geeze....

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Revis I can agree with, but Cro's deal didn't really hurt us cap wise. Skrine is a decent corner that can blitz.

Talk to me when he throws a contract on an average player like Malik Jackson. He received 93m

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk