Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

But the intimation is that Geno could follow the same path.

Brees is a generational talent blessed with physical ability, leadership and a high football IQ.

He also had shoulder surgery that led to some of his struggles.

Of course Geno had jaw surgery so maybe they are the same.

_

2. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I disagree. I don't think its indictment on either, I think Mac will keep drafting a QB until he finds a good one.

King Koopa likes this.
  3. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

They're nothing alike I was simply answering the question....I wouldn't ever suggest Geno can be Brees lol

But you got a point with the surgeries hmmm

4. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Its all a guess at this point , but like I said I dont think either of us are going to be proven right or wrong at the end of the day. I just see more than a 1 win differential between the two QB's. And I really think the team does too otherwise they wouldn't even be entertaining Fitz.

5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I think there is about a 2-3 win differential between Fitz and Geno.

6. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Which is a multi-million dollar difference to the franchise.

_

7. irishwhip03

Not likely next year. Hackenberg will get the shot after this season in all likelihood. He'll be given his 2 year trial period. And if he flames out he'll be shown the door along with Mac and most likely Bowles.

Circle of life for NFL GM's and QB's.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Nice try, but just naming some other young QBs and teams who weren't very good doesn't measure up. Every one of those QBs had better offensive playmakers around them, most had better HCs and OCs. Their OLs may well have been better too.

One big difference is that all the other QBs were taken in the 1st round, and all except Bridgewater taken at or near the top of the first round. Geno was taken in the 2nd round.

I don't know that I agree with you that all those teams were in worse shape than the Jets. The Jets may have had better defensive personnel, but they had lousy offensive personnel.

I can't speak to the Titans' HC or OC, but Mariota had some decent offensive players around him. He had Delanie Walker and Anthony Fasano at TE, and Kendall Wright and Harry Douglas at WR. Geno had better RBs, but Mariota had better receiving options.

While Bridgewater didn't have much offensive talent around him, he had a pretty decent HC in Mike Zimmer, and a good OC who has a lot of experience in working with young QBs in Norv Turner. He also had an experienced veteran QB in Shaun Hill to help mentor him.

Bortles had Allen Robinson, Marqise Lee and Cecil shorts at WR, and Clay Harbor and Marcedes Lewis. Geno didn't have those kinds of targets. Gus Bradley may be as bad or worse than Rex. I know nothing about Jedd Fisch, but he is may be worse than Mornhinweg.

Carr did well in spite of Dennis Allen and Tony Sparano as HCs. He had James Jones, Mychal Rivera and Andre Holmes as WRs. They're not exactly world beaters, but they were better than Hill, Holmes and Kerley.

Jameis Winston was a much better prospect than Geno, and he had a very good RB in Doug Martin, Vincent Jackson and Mike Evans to throw to. You can't seriously compare the Jets offensive players to those three. Lovie Smith is a better HC than Rex, and I may be mistaken, but think Dirk Koetter is pretty highly regarded as an OC.

9. irishwhip03

I wasnt just naming other QB's. Im naming other QB's that went into similar or worse situations than Geno did , which is what you asked for. And it seems like you agreed with me on all of them besides Winston , who does have something decent in Evans and Martin but thats about it. A team is more than just playmakers around a QB. Thats what Geno supporters will never understand because all they see is Marshall , Decker and Forte. Its more than that. Its controlling a locker room and having the other players believe in you. Half the guys on the team dont because they saw that he was. Its chemistry. Which he never bothered to develop with anyone. Its being put in a position that only 31 other men are able to say they are. Some guys cherish that. Other take it for granted. Pretty safe which one Geno did.

Most of those guys that I named also played behind horrible olines. Something Geno didnt when he started. That counts for A LOT in my opinion. Maybe more than WR's and RB's. Thats why when Geno played with confidence and knew what he was doing , he played well. But then he , just like other worse than average QB's , lose confidence in themselves , lose the game then lose their jobs.

If you at your job were as bad as Geno is at his , you wouldn't have a job anymore.

And Lovie Smith a better coach than Rex? Come on.

Bellows1 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

To answer your question, no, I haven't, but then there's a first time for everything. I think you're probably correct that the odds are stacked against him, but he wouldn't be the first long shot to pay off. I think you're also right that when many players struggle early and then succeed later, the change of scenery helps.

In one sense, however, Geno has had that change of scenery. He has a new, better OC and QB coach, an offensive system that better suits his talents, and a better HC that holds players accountable and actually leads. He sat last year free from the pressure of playing and was able to focus more on his shortcomings, and had a veteran mentor to watch and learn from. He now has a new starting RB who is a great receiver, Brandon Marshall, Enunwa and potentially some other new targets. There are also many new teammates. For all intents and purposes, Geno is in a new situation, just not a new city.

King Koopa likes this.
  11. irishwhip03

He also has a media and fanbase that would eat him alive after a bad Week 1. And we've all seen how great he responds to criticism and pressure.

The city. THIS city specifically, is the biggest thing working against him.

If we were in Detroit or Houston I could possibly see it working. But as much of a longshot as it is , its even more of a longshot in New York.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

I didn't agree with you. at. all. That's why I named the better playmakers surrounding those QBs, and pointed out when the CS were better.

Really? A team is more than just playmakers around a QB? DOH! Of course it is, but in order for a QB to succeed, especially a rookie QB, he needs to have playmakers around him. That's common knowledge. It doesn't mean spit how good the D is.

I have no interest in going back and comparing OLs, but I have my doubts about your claim that those other QBs played behind terrible OLs. I checked out who their OL are, and I saw the names of a lot of pretty good to very good OL.

Where I will agree with you is that it doesn't seem like Geno made any efforts to develop chemistry with his teammates or be a leader, and that he took his position for granted. I would even suggest that he took it like it was "owed" to him. Lots of young people have attitudes like that, take things for granted and make big mistakes. Can it be difficult to over come those mistakes? Undoubtedly, but it's not impossible.

He lost his job and he deserved to, but he has a chance to win it back, or at least win a shot at starting somewhere next year should Fitz re-sign. I'm not saying he will. I'm not a fan of Geno's. I'm a fan of the Jets, and I know if he develops into a quality starter, that's what is best for the Jets. It may never happen, but I'm going to root that it will.

And yes, I think that Lovie Smith is a better HC than Rex. Rex is a buffoon, an embarrassment, and a joke as a HC. He is HC in name only. The man is clueless and as dumb as they come. I have ZERO respect for him. He comes up with a small handful of good game plans every year. The rest, he's at a loss.

#3692 NCJetsfan, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  13. NCJetsfan

We agree here. I still think he can turn it around and win over the fan base and the media. Whether he will or not, is another matter.

14. irishwhip03

I thought we were past this post? lol.

How about we just agree that all of the situations were below average and the better QB's made it out alive. Geno obviously didnt. Same with guys like EJ Manuel and Manziel.

If Geno went somewhere else , lets say New Orleans , where he could sit for a year or two, or three, behind Brees. Learn a little then go into a new system and city , then I might think he has a shot to be a decent enough QB to alteast not be looked at as a joke.

Its just not gonna happen here IMO.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. irishwhip03

If he did that I would probably respect him the most of any QB in Jets history.

16. NCJetsfan

Yes, the better QBs made it out alive. They were all thought to be better than Geno and were all drafted higher than Geno, so that's not a shock. They had better coaching, offensive playmakers, and perhaps most importantly, didn't handicap themselves with entitled attitudes.

17. NCJetsfan

And he probably would deserve it for climbing out of the hole that he dug for himself. I can't even imagine having to try to do what he's doing, but if the reports I'm reading about him and how he has grown and if his attitude and approach truly have changed, then he's already started earning my respect, whether he pans out as our starting QB, a starting QB elsewhere, or never plays another down in the NFL.

18. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

The more I think about fitz isnt signing he feels like this team has done him wrong I think we end up with josh mccown or maybe nick foles they let them fight it out I think mccown could be the starter day one of the season

19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Have you ever heard of a fucking sentence?

20. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I think this bold point is exactly where I'm at, well said. It's disappointing that we can get shit from fellow Jet fans simply for rooting for a young player to develop. I'm not talking about the Anti-Geno crowd in this thread as they seem to be reasonable and get it, but just don't think there's any possible way Geno could improve much....I respect that even though we may disagree there. I would say this last training camp and first half of the season if he ends up starting would be the final straw for him as a Jet.

We realize how good it would be for the Jets as a franchise to have stability at the QB position for the foreseeable future. And if not Geno, hopefully Petty....if not Petty then Hackenberg.

HomeoftheJets likes this.