Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

I agree that sometimes guys figure it out...I asked this question yesterday but if you didnt see it I'll ask again , cause I really couldn't come up with an answer. But have you ever seen it happen in the situation that Geno would be under this year? Start for a year or two and fail , sit for a year , then come back with the same team and everything clicks?

I racked my brain of guys that might've been in that situation and couldn't think of one that did it with the same team. Usually someone needs a change of scenery. So putting it mildly , the odds are stacked against him.

And Im basing my opinions on the idea that Fitz could lead us to 10-11 wins and the playoffs. He's a journeyman yes. He's average, yes. But he's good for us right now. And better than anything else we could put out there Week 1. With Geno I think its more likely we go 8-8 if he plays decent , just because the team around him is above an average NFL team. But realistically I think 4-6 wins is likely.

I know Jets fans love to downgrade our talent but we have a fairly stacked offense outside of QB and TE. An average QB like Fitz could look very good in this offense. But a bad QB could crash it into the ground and make it look awful.

Thats the risk we would all be taking if Geno plays. If he does , I'll root for the team like I do every year , and if Im proven wrong I will happily admit that I was. But all I hear when people talk about the positive side of Geno is the "ifs".

And that isnt good enough for me to want to see him as the starter when their is a better option currently out there. If that option signs elsewhere or retires , then I'll have to accept it.

2. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

It's a little bit of everything...and we don't even know exactly what the Jets are offering

But the reason they're not offering just barely over the $5 million is because Fitz would just laugh and wait for a better opportunity...he has that leverage going for him...being able to wait it out or simply not play

You're not wrong but to just completely dismiss the market is IMO not correct

3. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I dismiss the "market" because there is no "market".

He's not a commodity where you pull one off the shelf.

He's not good enough to command $XX from any other team because every team in the league basically has their starter.

Other than us.

We are his market and he is ours.

They aren't going to severely underpay him because he won't accept it and he won't seek outrageous guaranteed long term $$ because the Jets won't pay it.

_

4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I like where that philosophy has got us....pathetic

Last year was great because games were won that "no goodnik" Fitz throwing to Decker and Marshall. Mo, Pryor Williams had some good plays but it was more the former than the later guys

#3664 NYJetsO12, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  5. NYJetsO12

I give you and Stokes credit for patiently explaining the situation about ...it must be a 20 time rehash.

What is it the GG doesn't get????????? ahahaha

irishwhip03 likes this.
  6. King Koopa

Drew Brees comes to mind for the Chargers....I believe he sat for Flutie after stinking up the joint then came back his last year and played well. But they still shipped him out anyway in favor of Rivers. There's probably others if I look into it, but every situation is different

You think Fitz is 10-11 wins and Geno probably 4-6? That seems extreme to me...I get wanting Fitz back but I just don't see it that way at all

I'm of the opinion that they probably give us similar production and Geno has some upside left.....Fitz is definitely the safer choice but costs us as well

The whole argument has been beaten to death....just hope the Jets make the right move

NCJetsfan and irishwhip03 like this.
  7. King Koopa

We get it many just disagree

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You are listening to a conversation that a guy that has a habit of throwing big games away will lead a team who just won 10 games against possibly the weakest strength of schedule they have ever faced into 10-11 games and playoffs.

The odds that you are buying into a dumbass argument are very high.

RexontheBeach likes this.
  9. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Decent call with Brees. Although it wasnt exact with what Geno would be doing I could see that comparison. Brees was never under as much scrutiny in SD as Geno is/was here.

And yeah I think we'll be a 10 win team with Fitz if I were to make a prediction. Def no more than 6 wins with Geno because I believe he wouldn't finish the year. At some point we would go to Petty or Hack and they wouldn't do much better just based on the fact that neither are ready.

We spent at other positions , to cheap out at QB is a bad strategy for Mac to take. But like I've said before I think it will eventually come to the conclusion that Fitz is back.

King Koopa likes this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

In his first season with SD, Brees sat. After that, he ranked 24th, 29th, 3rd, and 10th in passer rating. By comparison, Geno ranked 37th in passer rating in his first year and 29th his second year. He sat his third year. So Brees struggled and then got better but he didn't struggle to Geno's extent.

11. NYJetsO12

I had to look twice since a comparison is even considered between D Brees and Geno in the same breath.

Hysterical lol

We all must be tired

12. King Koopa

Like I said not every situation is the same exact and won't ever be with so many variables to consider...The thing with QBs is that they all mature into a pro at a different rate and on a different path. It's not always a linear path, and Geno seems to be a real extreme case of inconsistency (if he ever makes it at all)

I think we could be a 10 win team either way if I'm being optimistic but more realistically 8-8 with Fitz and 7-9 Geno....It could go higher with either player but Geno it could be much lower...at that point I wouldn't care though

I feel like your 6 win and not even finishing the season is taking the real extreme on the negative side but hey you can predict whatever you feel

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. King Koopa

OK so he went from the worst group of QBs (29th) to 3rd the next year....so yes I believe Brees would be a good answer to what irishwhip asked

Of course it's not going to be exactly the same

14. King Koopa

It's not a comparison at all.....read it again

15. HomeoftheJets

Geno is not an extreme case of inconsistency. He's a common case of being bad. Can he get good? Anything's possible but it's highly unlikely.

16. HomeoftheJets

Ironically the best comparison for Geno if he turns his career around is none other than Ryan Fitzpatrick. Fitz sucked with Cinci and in his first year in Buff and then morphed into an average QB starting in 2010 under Gailey. But for every Fitz there are many more total busts so the odds are stacked against Geno.

17. King Koopa

I guess but he wasn't just consistently poor every game if I remember, especially his rookie year

I think we went win-loss-win-loss almost the whole year and that is kinda how Geno played if I remember correctly

His lows were the lowest possible at times but he had some good games including the last stretch of 2014 which was the last few games we saw him start

And yeah, probably right about odds being stacked against him no argument there

18. JStokes

It's because fans are emotional and can't look at it from a rational point of view and they don't understand pro sports--just like Hollywood movie stars and Rock Stars--are not real world.

Folks like to analogize-well I'm a Walmart greeter and if I have an average year I'm not asking for $12 million dollars- or some such silliness.

Nothing in the real world--no real world "market" applies to NFL QBs. It's a finite number that can do it, even at an average rate.

They are not commodities.

Even really shitty ones make more that 1000 emergency room nurses combined.

The Jets want Fitz as a major transitional player and he wants the Jets, he just wants the best deal he can get.

_

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. JStokes

Drew Brees?!?

Holy fuck.

He's really smart.

He's a born leader.

Geno is neither.

Other than that they are really similar.

Except not really.

But good call on Drew Brees.

Holy fuck.

_

20. King Koopa

SMH

I'm not comparing Brees to Geno...the question was who struggled early on then did well with the same team and Brees I remembered off the top of my head

Relax