Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Here's a reason, and a damn good one: they have no confidence in either Smith or Petty and are only guessing that Hackenberg can ever be the guy.

2. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

How is it not an issue of what else Fitz could get?

The Jets through their actions are clearly stating we would like Fitz back but only at the right price....The right price is heavily influenced by what other offers out there exist that Fitz could take (or offers he could get if the Jets moved on)....It is why the Jets have leverage right now

3. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I think you have it backwards and are confusing "market forces" in the real world and the market the Jets are dealing with.

We're not shopping for a car or a commodity.

But I guess if you think McCagnan is making an emotional decision to pay him $12M as opposed to a reasoned and negotiated amount with just the 2nd and 3rd year comp and cap hit, then I don't think you get my point.

_

4. Ralebird

No. It doesn't go both ways. The only people throwing hand grenades are the "Fuck Fitz" contingent. I haven't seen one post calling for the Jets to just sign over the deed to the ranch this afternoon. There is plenty of time to get a deal done that is acceptable to Fitzpatrick and serves the needs of the Jets.

What's the freakin' hurry?

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  5. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Sure we're. This isn't even that long ago so idk how someone could suggest otherwise.

We were a disaster in 2012 mostly due to the Sanchez/Tebow debacle , but there were still pieces in place for Geno to succeed. And then we picked up Decker for his 2nd season and he regressed big time. Not a shock Decker doesn't have the same drive Marshall has in giving the guy another shot. Imagine going from Peyton Manning to Geno Smith. No wonder Fitz looked like a god send for Decker last year.

I can understand people not want Fitz back, the money, the stubbornness, whatever. But to be fine with Geno again is just beyond something I can comprehend.

6. JStokes

I don't think it has anything to do with any other offer that may be out there.

If it's clear that there is no other offer or maybe backup $2M offer, why do you think the Jets are even considering paying him many multiples of that.

What is it that you guys aren't understanding?

If this negotiation was "market driven" as in market driven in the real world then the Jets wouldn't be offering anywhere near what they are reportedly offering.

_

7. JStokes

Someone is going to come back later with a 10,000 word expose on how all those other teams were much better than the Jets and that's why Geno failed. Not because of Geno.

Wait for it.

_

#3647 JStokes, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    NYJetsO12 and irishwhip03 like this.
  8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If Fitz returns or Foles comes in the Geno love will disappear. Tis the way of a fickle fanbase.

irishwhip03 likes this.
  9. JStokes

Well, there is a game this weekend so fuck Fitz, he can watch it sitting on the sofa like the fans.

_

10. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

This post has all the things I'm not understanding:

I don't see any evidence of other offers-- yet I see the Jets offering many multiples of that, and people defending those offers. I do not understand.

The Jets wouldn't be offering anywhere near what they are reportedly offering if the decisions were market-driven, yet they are. I do not understand.

Not understanding these things is somehow an emotional response on my part. I do not understand.

However, I am willing to learn.

11. Ralebird

No - the whip is right, it was Tebow's fault.

12. JStokes

Assume there are no other offers.

Assume the Jets don't give a shit whether he has any other offers.

Assume Fitz does not care whether he has any offers--which assuming he doesn't.

Assume the Jets want Fitz back and assume that Fitz wants to come back.

The Jets are HIS only market and he is THEIR only market.

The Jets are going to offer him an amount--NOT driven by any external factors--that they believe THEIR starting QB is entitled to and what he will accept. Not top end money, not long term guaranteed money--what they believe is the correct amount.

They are NOT going to offer him back-up money because emotional fans think he's not "worth" starter money.

They are being the opposite of emotional.

That's the best I can do.

_

#3652 JStokes, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    NYJetsO12 and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  13. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

That's good enough. I can understand where you're coming from now, at least.
    Thanks for that.

14. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Oh Im already expecting it lol. Im sure it will have something to do with Winston having Mike Evans and Teddy has AP. Because guys like that obviously make up an entire team.

In the world of Geno supporters no QB has ever failed with an above average team around him.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. JStokes

AP was suspended Teddy's entire rookie season.

Tampa Bay won 2 games and got the first pick of the draft.

But wait for it.

_

irishwhip03 likes this.
  16. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Too late. Dead to me.

17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Economically, the Fitz market has characteristics of both a monopoly (assuming Fitz is the only starting QB the Jets are considering) and a monopsony (assuming the Jets are the only team offering Fitz a starting job). If we had only a monopoly, i.e. the Jets need Fitz and other teams want him, the Jets would have to cave. Alternatively, if we had only a monopsony, i.e. Fitz needs the Jets and the Jets have other options to start, Fitz would have to cave. As it stands now, we have a mixture of both, which means that if nothing changes, the standoff will drag on until the start of TC. At that point, the Fitz and the Jets will have to compromise, or they'll both lose. OTOH if something significant happens in the QB market, e.g. Foles becomes available and the Jets like him, or a starting QB on another team gets hurt, the situation will come to a head sooner. Of course, the Fitz and the Jets can come to an agreement now, but that would be out of goodwill not economics.

18. King Koopa

The Jets offer is not strictly market driven but it has a lot to do with it...that's all im saying

I do think there are a few teams out there that would throw him around $5 mill a year to be a backup (even if there's not an offer right now) and there's also the chance that a team loses their starter and could then offer Fitz more than that

So the fact that Fitz could simply not sign now and wait it out if the Jets offer is not high enough makes it market driven IMO. The Jets are trying to offer just enough to make Fitz not want to wait it out and find an offer down the line. They also have to balance out how much they even want to spend for him to make it worth it

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  19. King Koopa

Ugh...I would be a Geno supporter on here but I know for me personally I'm not excusing his poor play...I never have

I'm just saying as an NFL fan I have seen physically talented QBs struggle when they weren't ready to play early on and then sit back and learn and become decent or better

It doesn't mean I believe that will happen with Geno...You guys that hate him very well may be right in that he will never get it.....All I'm saying is you shouldn't dismiss the possibility that he could improve if he has matured a good bit

I'm saying this all as a Jets fan, not a Geno fan...Just being optimistic that we could have a decent QB of the future already on our team....I would hate to close the door on the possibility all for an 8-8 season with a journeyman

Ultimately he will have to prove himself worthy

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. JStokes

If a few teams MIGHT throw him $5M then why wouldn't the Jets just blow him out of the water right now with a guaranteed $7M? Or $8M? Or $9M? O r$10M?

Because the Jets and Fitz are in a relationship and they want each other and the Jets are going to pay him what they deem a "fair" amount for their starting QB and he will eventually accept a "fair" amount for being their starting QB.

Not backup money. Not money the fans that hate him think is fair.

It's really not about the first year dollars, it's about how to spread those dollars out to protect the Jets but not punish Fitz.

_

NYJetsO12 likes this.