Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Fitz is a stop gap journeyman QB at best, clearly not worth 12 mil. NFL is a QB driven league with a shortage of quality QBs yet not one team was willing to pay him when he has been sitting there for months.

2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Clearly.

Except that's what the Jets are offering him.

_

3. Attackett

I wanted Fitz back at a reasonable deal, that ship has sailed though. He is not nearly good enough to be dictating contract terms.

4. JStokes

Your "reasonable" is an emotional one.

Thank the Lord our FO isn't emotional.

_

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  5. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

$12 million for one year is perfectly reasonable if it were that easy but given the cap situation it's not. I see both sides' argument here. It does seem like the Jets are trying to get a starting caliber QB for more than one year by offering below market in years 2 and 3 and using the cap as the excuse. For Fitz that wouldn't even be good backup money if he has another solid year and for we know neither of the young guys will pan out and he'll be a $6 mil starter in year 2.

At the same time he's got nothing right now. The Jets for whatever reason have no intention on making this a one year thing.

The longer this goes on though the more I worry about some team losing a QB to injury and his willingness to take a one year deal will eventually do Mac in if he hold out too long.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  6. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

The same impatient group that wants to pull the offer out of spite, coz they've 'had enough', will be hurling bombs at Mac once the season is over before Halloween.

7. Attackett

That goes both ways. The same impatient group that wants to give a journeyman QB whatever he's asking for will be hurling bombs at Mac for overpaying a journeyman QB once the season is over before Halloween.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. JStokes

They can't make it a 1 year thing because then all $12M hits the cap this year, hence the need for a 2-3 year deal to stretch some of that out.

It's really all about the 2nd and 3rd year--not the $$ year 1. That's the impasse between what the jets want and what Fitz wants.

Folks suggesting Fitz is not "worth" $12M and therefore the offer should be pulled are missing the point of the impasse.

But since there is no game this weekend, there is no rush. Training camp is really the tipping point.

_

9. JStokes

They aren't even CLOSE to give him "whatever he's asking for".

That was a first shot by Fitz, throw a $16M ask at the wall and see what sticks.

I think the current numbers being discussed are a middle ground for all involved--it's just the years and how to spread that money out that is the holdup.

_

10. BacktoQueens

I think the fair move would be to offer a little more than 6M in year 2, and maybe cut the 3rd year.
    Something like 2 yrs, 20M might be enough to get it done (rather than 3 yrs, 24M).

11. BacktoQueens

i don't think that group exists..

12. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that a compromise would be to essentially make it a 3 yr deal that was a 1yr/12 mil deal in disguise but I don't know what the logistics of that are. A mutual option maybe? I mean it would have to be something where the Jets spread the cap hit and Fitz is guaranteed not to be obligated for the year 2 and 3 if he doesn't agree to be.

13. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Name those rookies? Well just recently Carr, Bridgewater, Bortles, Winston, Mariota.

All those teams were in worse situations then the Jets were prior to the 2013 draft. We had an average team , that he made worse at times.

No idea why some Jets fans are so petrified of Geno going somewhere else and being average, so much so that they need to see it crash and burn here first like they did with Sanchez. So meaningless.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. Attackett

Right, well I've been here long enough to know that group exists, just like the group you mentioned.

15. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I don't think the $6.5M number needs to be any kind of limit. I do think that there's no reason we need to offer him significantly more than the next highest bidder for his services. If he doesn't want the Jets money because he thinks he's too good for it, I will be happy for him while he watches football from the couch. Even if he's watching the Jets suck (or, slightly possibly, not suck) without him.

16. JStokes

Lol ok again--it's not that he thinks he's "too good" for anything. If all the reports are true--and if they aren't then we are all just pulling our own puds--both sides have settled in on about $12M.

Irrespective of whether or not he has any other suitors--which is irrelevant because the Jets want him and he wants the Jets.

_

17. JStokes

Yeah, they are going to have to structure it as a 3 year deal where the 3rd year is basically illusory.

I can see both sides of the issue--hopefully there are smarter people in the FO figuring this out then there are here.

_

18. Attackett

I have no idea where you are getting this info the Jets have settled in around 12? 3 yrs 24 mil with 12 guaranteed is a big difference from 12 per year.

19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Mods is this a record??? 181 pages on this character with the beard

I don't think Santa Claus gets as much attention

This is just sad...

20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Give Fitz an opt out clause after 2016 on the condition that he returns 4M to opt out. This way if he doesn't play well enough to hit the market he's on the Jets offer which is all he deserves. If he does the deal becomes 1Y/8M and he gets to cash in for 2017. Meanwhile the Jets don't have any dead money if he walks. Problem solved.