Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

I know if it was me I wouldn't want to put my job on the line with a QB like Geno. Atleast Bowles and Mac seem to have a working relationship and Im sure if Bowles went to him and said we cant start this guy , Mac would find something different.

I still dont know why he wasnt cut. Maybe because we didnt have the luxury of knowing what we had in Fitz and Petty was the only other option? To me this year if Fitz comes back , Geno goes from starter to having his roster spot in question.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

There are probably other teams who would pay Fitz 5ish million now. We just don't hear about them because they won't beat the Jets offer.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Neither Bowles nor Maccagnan's jobs are on the line this year unless the team totally collapses. Even then it is likely they'd get a year to work things out, similar to Mangini and Tannenbaum after 2007's clunker.

Fitzpatrick looks great compared to the other options at the moment but he looks bad compared to what most teams are playing at the position. He's a bottom quarter QB in the NFL. So the difference between him and Geno is not that large in terms of expectations for wins. They're both unlikely to lead the Jets to enough wins to make a difference and they're both capable of being carried by a great defense and the offensive playmakers if everything goes right.

Fitzpatrick had to win that game in Buffalo at the end of the year with the playoffs on the line for there to be a real difference between him and Geno going into this season. Having him produce a completely Geno-esque collapse in that game pointed out what the difference between them really was. Fitzpatrick is a better option but not by the amount he is asking for at this point.

MoWilkBeast and Jetaho like this.
  4. Br4d

4-12 would be a disaster in my opinion. It would get the Jets the 4-6 pick again and leave the fan base disgusted and feeling kind of hopeless about the Jets.

7-9/9-7 is not a good result either but at least it preserves the ability of the Jets to just keep drafting and point at 2017 with some hope instead of having to go through a huge free agent/trade production to artificially boost the team for a couple of years before the cycle hits the bottom again. When the Jets go 4-12 idiots become the rule of the day with their billboards and planes and all of that stupid crap that causes the Jets to make short term decisions that screw the team up over time.

I'm also sick of the Fitzpatrick holdout. What's he going to say to his teammates as the leader of the locker room when he gets back?

If he gets the deal he wants he'll tell them to stick to their guns and get the money they deserve. Some leader there. A real winner. Not.

If he doesn't get the deal he wants, well who knows what he says to them at that point but the optics won't be good however he says it.

I think there's a real argument for just moving on and taking the offer off the table at this point. He's being stubborn with no other suitors and that's bad for the team. You can't have any chance that your QB and leader is a malcontent and that's what he's set up right now by doing this. He's put the Jets in a lose-lose situation. I think they should choose the acceptable loss and take control of the situation.

MoWilkBeast, nycarl and jdon like this.
  5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

If the Jets offered 2 years, 20M, 15M guaranteed, Fitz would still be the lowest paid starting QB (non-rookie contract)........by far.

i think they should at least up their offer to that.

6. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Of course but you are being rational.

_

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

How true. We fans sometimes forget about the money side of the equation. Snacks is no doubt a better NT than the old guy we picked up to replace him, but not for $10M per. And Fitz is better than Geno, but not for $10M per.

8. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

The problem now though is if the Jets suck next season without Fitz the billboard nitwits will force the team into more stoopit short term band aids. I want to believe Mac can hold the line here, but the Revis contract really suggests otherwise.

Jetaho and Jets69 like this.
  9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

The Calgary Stampede would probably pay him $15M per year and all the moose knuckle he could eat

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I don't recall any billboards calling for anyone to be fired but Idzik who absolutely deserved to be canned.

socaljetfan likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. He most certainly CAN be worse, and in fact I think there's a very good chance that he will be. IMO there is every reason to believe that he won't repeat what he did last year. For starters, he's never had three straight even pretty good years in a row. His TD numbers and yards were good last season as was his leadership, but his other stats were pretty bad and near the bottom of the NFL, and that was against mostly poorer Ds. This season the Ds will probably be a LOT tougher. Other teams will have a year's worth of film of Fitz in Gailey's offense to help them prepare. Finally, Fitz is a bit of a choker. When the pressure's on, he comes up small. Then there's the OL. If Clady stays healthy, he'll be no worse than Brick and probably better. His staying healthy is a big "if" however. If he can't stay healthy, then we'll have a complete unknown in Ijalana starting at LT. As of right now, Giacomini and Winters are still the starting right side of the OL and against better/tougher Ds, things could unravel quickly for the Jets' offense if they struggle badly.

12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Speaking of Idzik we could have drafted D Carr Mettenberg and J Garrapolo or Bridgewater

arguably QBs as talented as Fitz and we wouldn't be chasing numbers right now..But oh I forgot we only draft Defensive players in round 1

We have a decent FO now but RF is making them play Russian Roulette with 2016 and a team loaded with talent poised for a playoff run

News Flash: If the CS loved Smith as the starter there would be no Fitz negotiations

They don't want GeNo starting despite what half the board believes....TGG doesn't have a management job at stake

Totally disagree with whoever said "Mac and Bowles are off the hook for 2016"

No disrespect to the News but Mac and Fitz are doing murder/suicide

#3572 NYJetsO12, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I understand you not wanting to put your job on the line with a QB like Geno, but you're basically basing that on his play his first two seasons when he had shit coaching and shit offense around him. You haven't seen what Bowles has seen the last two seasons, and by all accounts, Geno was looking improved last offseason, but is looking even moreso this offseason. He could still suck, but he could also surprise all of his detractors here. It's not like he doesn't have a lot of physical ability. If the game is slowing down for him, and he's staying poised and confident, we could see a vastly different Geno out there. While I'm not gonna hold my breath on that, I don't have to. Bowles, Gailey and Mac will see his play in practice every day. They're getting lots of opportunities to see just how he looks. If Fitz stays out until TC, Geno could have had time to make a real positive impression on Bowles and Mac. The deadline for Fitz to sign may arrive or the Jets may simply decide that as good as Geno is looking, that Fitz isn't worth $12 million.

He wasn't cut because that would have been foolish. You don't cut a young QB with starting experience, with a lot of physical talent, and who's only costing $1 million for the season. Then if Fitz didn't re-sign, the Jets would be royally screwed. Even if he does sign, with the reckless way he runs and his age, he could go down for the season in week 2. Then who would the Jets start? Petty or Hack who probably aren't ready, and risk making the same mistake that Idzik and Rex made by throwing a young QB on the field too soon?

Falco21 likes this.
  14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Even with Mac the odds of getting a decent OL in the first 3 rounds of any draft are 4 to 1. There is really no investment other than Hack and the late rounders for offense

15. irishwhip03

Rookies have come into worse and done just fine with it. We werent great in 2013-14 but Im tired of hearing excuses as to why Geno didnt succeed. 2nd round picks (and projected by some to be the 1st overall pick) should be able to go into a situation, any situation, and be able to atleast show consistent promise. Everytime Geno showed anything positive it was immediately followed by a bonehead move. And that is what makes him a bad QB to me.

And even if he took the proper movement toward becoming our starter last season , what did he do? He let a 600 dollar gambling debt cost him his starting job and his jaw. Just further proof of him not being very bright. He has all the ability to do the job. But he doesnt have the brain or the confidence IMO.

And practice can only tell a team so much. Even the preseason isnt really proof as to what he could bring us during the regular season. If I remember correctly he was really good in the preseason in 2014 , and that didnt mean much in the end.

The team has already pretty much said they dont want to pay him 12 million this year , unless it can be distributed differently over the next season or two. But the fact that they are still entertaining Fitz and trading offers with him should tell everyone that they dont want to go into the season with Geno. If there was any confidence within the organization that he can be a quality starter for us this thread would've ended long before page 179.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

He was supportive of Geno as the starter last year. I know things changed when Fitz played well, but Marshall can't deny that he was at first loyal to Geno. Anyone whose watched the games last year saw about 50% of Fitz's passes were not great, but Marshall made plays off of them.

I can't argue as much about Decker, who I think dislikes playing with Geno as he's had more bad experiences with him. Decker did also seem to get better balls thrown to him by Fitz as they were both pretty good in the redzone.

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

while decker had 7 more tds with fitz he only had 6 more catches for 60 more yards than with geno. take it for what you will

18. irishwhip03

Marshall can be supportive of Geno all he wants. Until he realizes during the games that he cant make the throws that even an "average" QB like Fitz can.

We all love Marshall because of what he did last year. But this is a WR that has quit on his QB's before when they werent able to get him the ball. Lets not forget that.

19. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

That would suit me fine

Br4d likes this.
  20. Br4d

Why should the Jets make Fitzpatrick an offer above market? What's the point of being a football charity organization? Particularly in a capped environment?

This has devolved into a farce at this point and the farce is all on Fitzpatrick's side. He has no offers better than the Jets offer or he would have taken one of them instead of dragging this out. Any presumption that the Jets should be offering him more than they are is DOA given that basic set of facts. A one team market makes the one team's offer the player's value at the moment. If Fitzpatrick wants to hold out on the theory that somebody else will pay him more than the Jets are offering him that's his right. I think the Jets should take their offer off the table at this point and see where Fitzpatrick's market goes at that point. I'm guessing he winds up signing a $5M 1 year deal somewhere to be a back up. Maybe he'll win the competition there and start but he won't be pocketing more than the $12M the Jets are so generously offering him up front.

Fitzpatrick is trying to play the Jets off as low-balling him. I think it's the other way around. I think they are offering him 50% more than he has any chance out of seeing out of anybody next year if the Jets decide to go a different route. Given the issues Fitzpatrick's stance is causing the Jets at this point they should just take the offer off the table and see what happens. It'll become very clear at that point where Fitzpatrick really wants to play in 2016 and I don't think that's with the Jets.

#3580 Br4d, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2016