Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Great post. I just think the $$ point is unrealistic.

He gets it out quickly but if he doesn't his first move is to step up and run for positive yards. I'd like to know how many drive sustaining first downs he ran for.

_

2. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Kinda hard to be confident when you're a rookie with no help getting your ass kicked in the NYC market

A physically talented QB who wasn't emotionally or mentally ready to lead a team right out of the gate....wouldn't be the first

The million dollar question is can he now lead the Jets...after learning for a year, maturing, and just being in a better situation overall? Can he atleast be average?

3. King Koopa

Fitz is really good at that and running when needed....his arm is just so bad and his decisions IN the pocket, which tie in with his lack of arm strength, are also very below average

Can't really fix those qualities and it will keep Fitz from ever being more than an average journeyman in this league......honestly he's a top tier backup

4. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Find me one QB in the league that threw 30 TD's , 4000 yards and led his team to 10 wins and makes 6.5 mil.

Doesnt happen.

Dont want him back? Thats cool. Dont think he's worth 8-12 mil? Thats cool too. But its an insult to suggest he's worth just 6.5

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Fitz should be worth more than 6.5M but the market has spoken so he really isn't. I want him back but he needs to accept the Jets offer or something close to it at this point or he'll end up screwing himself.

6. irishwhip03

Accepting 6.5 is screwing himself just as much IMO. Its all a hardball act. Jets cant accept him back too quickly because the media will spin it as them "being desperate for him" and blah blah blah. Its all just about waiting right now.

His agent already misplayed the market but he's still going to end up getting something around what he was looking for if I were to guess. And that number is going to be closer to 12 than it is to 6.5

7. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I'm fine with rolling with Geno at this point. Last year was as good as it gets with Fitz, and I don't think it's worth $12 million per when there is no long term upside.

SonofDinger and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Of course it's posturing. But the odds are better that the coaching staff will choose to go with Geno than that another team will offer Fitz more.

9. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

+1 and totally agree. I am done and think we need to move on... can we use the money to sign Mo?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. irishwhip03

Well considering no team is going to offer Fitz anything right now I agree..unless there's an injury of course.

I will still be shocked if Fitz isnt our starter this year though. Geno was already a part of one failed regime here. The current one has zero ties to him. I've said before that I think Mac will sooner trade a pick to grab another stopgap veteran rather than let Geno start out of the gate and I think if it came down to it they would make a July-August trade for someone.

11. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

I didn't say he should be in the Hall of Fame, but anybody who made 3 pro bowls and started 10 seasons deserves a vote. There's a huge difference between being considered and actually being a realistic candidate for getting in.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You don't pay players for past performance. You pay them for what they can do in the present/future.

13. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

If Mac plans to bring in Josh Freeman or Charlie Whitehurst in the event he can't get a deal done with Fitz, then why is Geno even taking up a roster spot? You're right that Mac didn't draft Geno and owes him nothing, but he's still a QB with starter experience and a $1 million salary. That's a pretty limited commodity with significant organizational value.

SonofDinger and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. JStokes

Just curious--if the "market has spoken" and he has no other suitors--why is $6.5M the number?

Why isn't it the absolute vet minimum?

Why would he Jets be offering anything more than the league minimum if he has no other offers?

Isn't that how this works?

Or maybe the Jets value him at a number north of $10M or $11M but less than $14M and they are trying to figure out how best to spread that number out?

_

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree. I also think the OTAs, mini-camp and TC are vitally important to Geno and his future with the team and in the NFL. If he continues to play as well as he has to start TC, I think there's no question that Bowles would start him and Mac wouldn't even consider bringing in a JAG vet unless it was to be a backup because he didn't think Petty or Hack were ready.

16. King Koopa

I always thought it would be Fitz but now I have no clue....Definitley wouldn't be shocked the way this thing has gone down if he ends up somewhere else or even nowhere else until a QB gets hurt

As for the other part, why would the Jets go waste resources (money and picks) to get another QB that would be lateral at best with Geno? If they thought that lowly of Geno he would have been cut no questions asked after last years punch.

I get the feeling Mac and Gailey actually like Geno, but it's Bowles that doesn't trust him....just from quotes and the way they've spoken of Geno since they've been here

Makes sense because Bowles as a defensive guy would think he can shut down the other team and prefers a safe vet at QB...he also comes from the Parcells tree and Parcells hated young QBs

#3556 King Koopa, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    irishwhip03 likes this.
  17. JStokes

If folks think he's not "worth" a number--why would the Jets be offering something almost twice that amount?

Why not the league minimum?

Because the Jets live in the real world and fans are just reactionary.

_

NYJetsO12, Ralebird and irishwhip03 like this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

becuase he ins't a QB who ca
    True, but to be fair, there is no reason to think that fitz won't repeat what he did last year. If anything he should do better. he should have better Wrs outside of the top 2 assuming smith picks it up in year 2, he can't be worse and plus we added forte who is an excellent recieving back. and we get amaro back who is better then cumberland and davis at catching.

19. irishwhip03

Every situation in different. Most guys that can be had via free agency almost always get paid for past accomplishments. Otherwise they wouldn't be available.

In this case we have a guy that might not duplicate the numbers he put up with last year but he probably wont be that far off from them.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. irishwhip03

I dont remember saying those names. I was thinking more along the lines of Josh McCown or Nick Foles.