Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

The rest of the team? The roster is pretty much set money wise. How does a one year deal effect the salary cap for an already completed free agency period.

People dont want Fitz at 12 million because he isnt worth it. 90 percent of the QB's in the league arent worth their money.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. irishwhip03

Im talking about their yearly salary this season.

18 mil for Tannehill and 16 for Cutler.

And you say weather and light schedule favored him last year..I'll agree with you. But one of the best receiving backs of alltime is now with us and is an insane upgrade in that area over Ivory.

I dont think its impossible for him to match the 30 TD's and 4000 passing yards he gave us last season..and maybe even a higher completion percentage due to the amount of dumpoffs that are going to come Forte's way.

To me there's plenty of "upside" to a QB with a loaded offense around him playing in a system he knows.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I love the smell of mob psychology in the morning.

4. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

Offer him 2-year deal=
    10 million for 2016 (guaranteed)
    10 million for 2017 (only guaranteed if Jets pick up option on March 1st, 2017)
    ..if not walk away...

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

bingo. I've been a no big rush type, no deadline, they'll sign him type. But this garbage? negotiating through the press? Go ahead and put a deadline on it now. The deadline can be yesterday.

FJF likes this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

The Jets started the press negotiations.

7. BrowningNagle

is that supposed to mean something though?

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  8. HomeoftheJets

You said there should now be a deadline because the negotiations are public. If you have a problem with public negotiations, you have to blame the Jets because they started it. OTOH I don't feel the need to blame anyone because I don't care what reporters say.

9. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

Fitz is an idiot. All this does is give Geno a chance to light it up in camp (which he will do) and push Mac to pull the offer from the table and go with Geno as our starter. Drawing this out any longer only hurts himself. If the guy would rather retire than play for $12million this year, then I seriously question his motivation to give his all this season.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  10. irishwhip03

I guess you never heard of a negotiation tactic?

A player doesnt just say "nah I dont want 12 million I'll just go retire...unless a higher offer comes along then I'll play for it". Its a ploy. A way to scare the Jets brass. If Fitz was a better player it would've worked already , but he isnt so we're stuck here.

But if anyone truly believes he is going to retire with an offer on the table then I question their intelligence.

Maybe in the end it will be proven that Fitz and his agent overplayed their hand. Thats possible. But Fitz is coming off a career year , in an NY market , and on the verge of the playoffs for the first time in his career. He's been out in the open all offseason lingering around and making a different comment every week. Doesnt have the look of a guy ready to hand in his retirement papers.

Ralebird likes this.
  11. DefenseWinsChampionships

I've said it once before, but outside of our red-zone offense, ranking 10th in TD's thrown & not getting sacked often; Ryan Fitzpatrick really had a mediocre season last year. Below average at best.

There are strong reason(s) on why he'll be turning 34 years old this up-coming season, but yet has been nothing more than a career journeyman in which has been on 6 different NFL teams (and hasn't stuck with a single one). He's just not that good. A backup at best. Whom would've been a backup (once again) last year if not for the misfortunate incident that occurred with Geno Smith during the offseason.

Ryan Fitzpatrick during his "career year" only ranked...

~15th in passing yards.
    ~24th in QB Rating.
    ~26th in INT's thrown.
    ~27th in yards per pass attempt.
    ~29th in completion percentage.

We won 10 games last year (as a team) but not because of "Fitzpatrick" but because of our defense, Marshall & Decker as a top tier duo @ WR with Chris Ivory doing the dirty work along with a weak strength of schedule.

Fitzpatrick pretty much held our offense back due to arm limitations in which couldn't make all the throws needed in order for a high-octane offensive attack. At times he reminded me of Chad Pennington after multiple injuries to his throwing shoulder due to Ryan's weak arm. Due to the arm limitations of Fitzpatrick our offense was very 'predictable'. I don't wanna see him back.

With Geno Smith now having A.) Two years of starting experience & B.) One year of learning experience as a backup and after being drafted during the 2nd round it's finally time to see what we have in Geno as a 4th year pro.

I'm of the thinking of, you give a 4th year player in Geno offensive weapons such as Marshall & Decker at receiver to work with/utilize, an all around type of 3 down back in Forte who's one of the all-time best HB's catching out of the backfield along with the likes of Amaro at TE, one of either Smith/Enunwa/Thompkins or Peake to emerge as our #3 behind Marshall & Decker with Powell as a strong role-playing backup and this offense could be on the verge of becoming dynamic under Chan due to Geno having a strong arm without crippling our offene due to a weak arm with limitations such as a Fitzpatrick.

Really happy with our front office for playing hard ball & not collapsing to the demands of a soon to be 34 year old QB who's been a career journeyman with 6 different NFL teams in which, statistically speaking, just had a mediocre season during his "career year".

NYJalltheway, RuJFan and Big Cat like this.
  12. BrowningNagle

I do blame the Jets thats the point. They were handling it well until recently. They shouldn't be getting into a detailed public back and forth with an average player like Fitzpatrick. They should move on because they are starting to piss on their leg right now and I'd rather see 1 season without Fitzpatrick than see the Jets piss themselves

13. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

What do you think of Ryan Tannehill?

Are you guys happy with him?

_

14. irishwhip03

How many QB's spend their first 2 years failing? Sit for 1 to "learn" , then get another chance to start for the same team , and succeed?

Can anyone name 1?

And "below average at best?"..give me a break.

15. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

He's a Dolphin fan lecturing Jet fans and singing the praises of Geno.

Sounds like a trap.

_

16. BrowningNagle

probably the same number of QBs who succeed upon signing with their 6th NFL team. I'd venture to say you could find more examples of a QB that succeeds after a couple rough years to start their careers than you will find QBs who get to their 6th team and succeed.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  17. irishwhip03

Fitz succeeded last year..

And your second part is maybe true..but not with the same team. Doesnt happen. NY has soured on Geno. He gets the start Week 1 and has a rough game and we get pounded by Cincy , and this fanbase revolts.

Its so easy for some to say they dont want Fitz back now , until the games start and they are unwatchable.

18. irishwhip03

Well if any team would know the "elite" side of Geno , it would be the Fins.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. BrowningNagle

that is exactly my point. your argument against Geno Smith is that its unlikely that he would turn it around... When it was MORE unlikely last season that Ryan Fitzpatrick would turn it around with team #6 and he had a good year. That makes me more likely be okay with rolling with Geno Smith, not less.

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I don't think it was as unlikely as you suggest. Fitz had the best years of his career under Gailey and it wasn't shocking to see him do well again.

irishwhip03 likes this.