Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

Mac pretty much played this situation perfectly

I would've felt a little uncomfortable giving fitz a 3 year deal, we know how he has played after getting paid. Not trying to knock the guy or anything, but this was the ideal scenario.

2. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Who knows if the Jets want to do this? The 12-6-6 was much better for the Jets and spread the cap hit out

Still some negotiations to be done but we'll see

3. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Don't bring Fitz back. Not even on a 1 year deal. Use the money for Wilkerson. Let's see what Geno has in his contract year.

Jets69 likes this.
  4. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I'd be fine with bringing him back on the cheap (like $5 mil) and letting them battle it out....atleast we would have a solid backup either way and it wouldn't hurt much money wise

Other than that I think it's a bad move and would rather save the money as well as get a final evaluation on a QB we drafted high before he's gone....if it's going to be like 10+ mil which it seems that way

If we actually do sign him for a good chunk of change just gotta live with it and hope for the best

5. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

It's all well and good that Fitz is ready to take 12M 1yr deal, but that's NOT what Mac put in the table. The deal is 3-yr so that Jets are NOT paying 12M this year.
    It's a negotiation by Fitz (assuming Daily Snooze didn't lie again).

A 1-yr guaranteed equivalent would by 8M, not 12. So, it's not over, and won't be over until Mac says it's over.

hwismer and RexontheBeach like this.
  6. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

5 million isn't happening. A 1 year 10 million is the absolute lowest I could see and I still wouldn't be on board. Pay Mo, Geno is capable of what Fitz could do this season, maybe even better.

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The Internet is acting like this is a done deal. But I haven't heard anything from Macc's end so I'm holding my horses.

RuJFan likes this.
  8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Not a done deal as per Cimini.

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini 5m5 minutes ago
    The Jets will not sign Ryan Fitzpatrick for one year, $12 million. That is all. Carry on. #nyj

9. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Ain't over until Mac says it's over :)

10. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Ugh, this is giving me fits!

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

The next time Fitz makes the playoffs will be his first. Nuff' said

12. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

Fuck Fitz. He's done absolutely nothing In his tenured career to warrant 10+ mil for +-16 games

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yep, just a negotiation tactic used by Fitz' agent, after the Jets got fed up and leaked their more than fair offer. It's far from over, but Fitz is coming back. He's a moron if he's going to go be a backup somewhere like Minnesota or Baltimore for $3 million and virtually end his career as a starting quarterback in this league based on 'principle.'

Denver doesn't want him. They're the only other team in the league with an essentially unsettled quarterback situation and he's a horrible fit for the offense Kubiak forced down the throat of the greatest NFL quarterback ever last season. I'll be completely shocked if he's not signed by the end of the month, and it'll probably be the worst move I've ever seen by an NFL agent in my life if he goes somewhere else to be a backup for minimal money.

I don't know if we offered more money earlier in free agency, but if we did and Fitz has found himself in this situation now, he should fire his agent tomorrow. I don't get why any of you are stressing about him coming back. Let this post and more importantly this situation sink in...

HomeoftheJets and NYJetsO12 like this.
  14. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I am so sick of this Fitz thing. One good year after 8 or 9 so-so's and the league refuses to genuflect, but we should? No thanks. He has to accommodate our cap. We pulled him out of the swamp last year. Besides, we are lucky to win 8 with him against that schedule. We could probably win 6 or 7 with Geno. As much as we kill Geno, he won 8 a few years ago. Yes there were lucky bounces but there usually are some of those in the course of a year. I actually would prefer to lose 12 that just go 8-8. That would upgrade the talent level of our first two picks, possibly a lot. We are always around 8-8. Frankly, it gets boring.

15. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

So here's what I don't understand...

If the Jets are reportedly $3m (roughly) under the cap, how can they sign Fitz to a one-year $12m deal, without making significant cap changes (ie trade Wilkerson)
    and if that is true, why isn't that being reported?

16. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I'm ready to sign with Jets for 1 yr at 12 mil too.

FJF likes this.
  17. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

I'd sell myself like a cheap whore to the Jets: $6 million/ 1 year

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  18. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

What has Jay Cutler done? What has Ryan Tannehill done? What has Sam Bradford done?

All those guys are overpaid (by a lot more than 12 mil a year) and Im sure there are like another 4 or 5 that Im forgetting.

Why does the $$ that Fitz is going to make bother you? Guaranteed if Geno plays and we're 1-6 , you arent going to be happy because he's only making 1 mil a year.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Bradford and Tannehill were signed on the promise of upside, there's a lot of "potential" loaded into their contracts. Fitz has no upside. Actually, between the light schedule and favorable weather he dealt with all of last year (except for *cough*Week 17*cough*), there's pretty much no chance he matches those numbers again. The guy is not worth more than the Jets have offered.

RexontheBeach likes this.
  20. tiger8mush

tiger8mush Member

Because we have a salary cap. The more Fitz makes, the less we can spend on the rest of the team.