Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Agreed, not really a fan of Geno but I don't see a huge difference between them. I'd roll with Geno and save the $$. Best case he matured and becomes a good QB. More like is he is a a good placeholder until they find the QB of future.

King Koopa likes this.
  2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Nobody knows. Rapoport, et al may have been leaked some information but we've seen them describe the "deal" differently so which one got it right and who will be eating the red herrings when it's over we'll just have to wait and see.

3. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Disagree and the "lets roll the dice and save $" is a red herring.

It's not your money and unless someone knows exactly what McG is doing, I don't think paying Fitz multiples of what Geno is getting paid has any effect on anything we pay anyone else. I just don't.

It's like when a municipality wants to spend $1B of public funds in a stadium and there are people who will make the argument, "fuck the stadium, let's give it to school teachers it fireman or [some other deserving group]."

That's not the way it works. McG will try to get the best deal with the most flexibility in order to manage the cap going forward. He's not going to give Mo or Sheldon or anyone else more $$ if he doesn't sign Fitz.

_

4. Ralebird

No, apparently we have a band of imbeciles here who don't mind watching the team they claim as their own lose games. Abyzmul has now joined that club, I wonder if he'll go so far as to suggest losing games for a better draft position.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Saving that much money is saving that much money, period. Of course it's not our money, I'm referring to the salary cap

It may not help directly with Mo or Sheldon but it will open up a ton of flexibility for this season and beyond. The cap rolls over now from year to year. So maybe we need a top offensive lineman next offseason and now suddenly we have the space available...it could be anything really, extensions or new free agents

Not paying Fitz helps our salary situation any way you slice it...whether or not that's ultimately worth it is up for debate but not sure how you can argue that part of it

BrowningNagle likes this.
  6. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Because I think McG is holding firm on front loading the contract and making the future cap hit as small as possible, weighing it against the benefits of getting our starting QB for 2016 it seems everyone in the organization wants.

If they thought Geno was the man or "not that big of a drop off" Fitz wouldn't even get an offer. He's not that good but apparently the franchise values him more than some here.

_

7. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I think they're somewhere in the middle honestly....They probably like Fitz and feel that he's OK which is why they're offering what they are

They probably feel "fine we'll take Fitz back but only at our price". If not we'll be OK with Geno and hope for the best

If they hated Geno they would have signed Fitz already IMO

The Jets just aren't in the business of completely rolling the dice because if it backfires (in terms of record even if Geno is average) the public would be against them and their jobs would be at risk. People that think like me would be in the minority

8. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

You'd think Manish would rather the Jets play like shit. That way he can garner more click bait.

Then again, that piece of shit can swing a crappy story either way.

9. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

I have NO doubt that Mehta would rather write "Jets failed again" article, than "Jets won SB".
    kinda like champ ... :D

NYJetsO12 and RexontheBeach like this.
  10. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Seeing the news that Fitz would go somewhere cheaper based off of principle is just ridiculous. The Jets offer him more than he's worth and he acts insulted. Between the whole retirement threat thing and now this signing elsewhere for cheaper...if he's not here by start of training camp, I'd say the Jets should withdraw their offer. Personally, I am done with the guy if he doesn't sign with us by then.

11. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

That's reported from Mehta. Don't believe that entirely

RexontheBeach likes this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

This whole thing is so stupid. Somebody lock Macc and Fitz in a room and don't let them out until they agree to a deal. Heck, I'll do it if Woody pays me. Though we'll have to work out a deal first. Get back to me in a month...

13. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

The Genobots might be right about how he'll be a pro-bowler with the new weapons, system, etc.. etc.. My take on it as someone who's not fond of Geno is that he can't really be any worse then we've already experienced from him.

The likelyhood of him tossing 4 picks in a quarter and bettering his behind the back fumble as well as improving on his rate of 'numbskull' actions (on the field at any rate) is exceedingly low. The more likely outcome of starting him is slightly sub-par or at least average QB play and therefore somewhere close to a .500 season, which in effect means at least over half the games will be competitive.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets have the best offer on the market right now. I don't understand the problem. Fitzpatrick wants a lot more. Well, that's a wonderful ambition but if the best offer isn't good enough the other option is to turn it down and sign somewhere else for less.

That doesn't seem like a particularly good plan to me. I'm betting he can't get half the guarantees anywhere else that the Jets have offered him if the $15M guaranteed part is true.

It really looks for all the world like Fitzpatrick doesn't want to come back here for 2016. He may say he wants to come back but there are a bunch of things that could happen at any moment that would take the Jets offer off the table and then he'd wind up signing somewhere as a backup for next year at probably half the compensation the Jets are offering.

That suggests to me that he's just not that invested in coming back.

The Jets could trade Mo Wilkerson for a journeyman QB and some cap relief at literally any moment. End of Fitzmagic.

15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Maybe he just doesn't want to go back to work until training camp. The paycheck will be the same either way.

TNJet likes this.
  16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's possible that's the case but unlikely. The Jets have 3 QB's under 26 years old on the roster. Leaving the 3 of them as the only options for 2 months would be very risky on Fitzpatrick's part given that he's clearly not seen as the future of the franchise. He's more likely to see the offer come off the table if one of them does better than expected than to see the same offer on August 1st. Even if it's only a marginal risk in that department it is still *some* chance that the offer goes away while he's mulling it over.

It's looking more and more like he doesn't want to play for the Jets unless the offer is too good to turn down. That's how I'm beginning to read it at this point. The Jets traded for him last year. They didn't sign him as a free agent. They acquired his contract in a trade with Houston. Now he's showing no interest in the best offer on the market for him. That suggests to me that he really just doesn't want to play here unless the offer is too good to turn down.

I think the Jets should move on.

17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I don't know what Fitz's problem is.

The Jets are offering decent money. He's got Marshall & Decker to throw his wobbly balls to.

We have a more than good defense to keep games close.

He has an opportunity to finish out an average career on a high note.

Don't blow it buddy.

FJF and NYJetsO12 like this.
  18. Ralebird

There's no hurry. Bowles has reportedly said the deadline is training camp, and that's two months away.

19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Who knows when the Jets patience runs out.

20. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Thoughts change, like when Macc said they wouldn't play out the negotiations in the press.

NYJetsO12 likes this.